LETS OUTSOURCE SOUTHWEST JOBS!

"Yanno, I find this post most interesting."

QA4, I find the whole topic interesting.

When I first saw the topic posted, none of the actual Employee's of Southwest, let alone anyone from the TWU posted the article.

Seems that there is so much time on someone's hand that their fun and joy is to post nothing but incendiary new's articles and blurbs and then walk away.

Stirring the pot to get their joy in life is an incredibly sad life.

just keep getting your foot caught in your mouth dont u, good thing that hasnt changed,,,o yea got to meet my very first AT crew and just like i told you AV i was giving them a chance,, i shut my mouth as i listened to a male F/A brag how he is going to be so much senior to the SWA girls i was working with..and he even laughed and said , sorry just the way it is,,, yep this will be the last time i listen to that kind of disrespectul attitude nd blatant disregard from any AT employees,,, buckle up SWA originals,,, thiscould be a long turbulent ride... as far as outsourcing why not do it internationally didnt we just do it domestically???

And what exactly does this have to do with the thread topic? Seems as if you need some hate and discontent to make your day. Why not take it to the appropriate bitxh session thread. Some of us may want to discuss the actual topic of this.

I would like to hear more from the actual ramp workers on their thoughts on this outsourcing scheme.

And what exactly does this have to do with the thread topic? Seems as if you need some hate and discontent to make your day. Why not take it to the appropriate bitxh session thread. Some of us may want to discuss the actual topic of this.

I would like to hear more from the actual ramp workers on their thoughts on this outsourcing scheme.

You're right, and my apologies for egging this on further than it needed to go. This thread has nothing to do with AMT's or FA's and yet we're the only ones posting and not even discussing the topic.

It looks to me that there aren't many SWA rampers in these forums, at least that post very often. I would like to get their insight on this.

Some of the transitioning rampers from AT have told me that they don't care as long as they have a job where they're at, but then again, outsourcing international routes is a norm fr AT. Hell, we only have, I think, 2 or 3 actual AT employees in Puerto Rico and that's not even international, everyone else there is contract. Hopefully that changes and all US, domestic stations become full fledged SWA employees.

You're right, and my apologies for egging this on further than it needed to go. This thread has nothing to do with AMT's or FA's and yet we're the only ones posting and not even discussing the topic.

It looks to me that there aren't many SWA rampers in these forums, at least that post very often. I would like to get their insight on this.

Some of the transitioning rampers from AT have told me that they don't care as long as they have a job where they're at, but then again, outsourcing international routes is a norm fr AT. Hell, we only have, I think, 2 or 3 actual AT employees in Puerto Rico and that's not even international, everyone else there is contract. Hopefully that changes and all US, domestic stations become full fledged SWA employees.
Well, have a look at this
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2012/jun/23/tdbiz01-southwest-outsourcing-ric-ground-workers-j-ar-2008209/

I am an actual ramper and WN employee for 12 years. I don't like the idea of outsourcing our jobs and I will never vote for anything that will jeopardize job security for the members of the mighty 555.

What is happening with this company? Seen outsourcing when I worked Baltimore when Delta did this. I was in Cargo waiting for and AOG part and the contract dude working for Delta in cargo told a customer "He could care less about his shipment" If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would have never believed it. I think the mission statement needs to change or the CEO. My Proxey votes to the man or woman who say they will do that....

It seems like SW has finally caught up with the negative side of the industry, hopefully you guys can fend off the outsourcing better than your competition, good luck to you all....

The memo went on to say that the company needed increased flexibility in smaller stations outside the company's "typical" business model and gave an example of where we operate one, two, or three flights per day/shift. The company already has the contractual right to use contract workers in new stations where flight activity does not exceed 12 departures per day; so, it is false to say there is an additional need for contract workers in new stations that just have a few flights. The memo is also misleading because it did not mention the company's proposal to remove the "grandfather" clause protecting stations in operation prior to March 27, 2009, which dangerously exposes all stations, especially small ones, when the Wright Amendment relaxes in 2014. What the memo also omitted was the company proposal to use temporary contract workers for 120 day intervals; furthermore, temporary contract workers could total up to twenty percent of the permanent employees of the station bid location, and these contract workers could be used in any station, regardless of size or flights. This use of temporary contract workers was the central issue around which MDW rallied opposition. For over 40 years, our culture has focused on the highest quality customer service delivered by dedicated, career employees. It is difficult to believe temporary contract workers, who do not have the same vested interest in the success of our great airline, can provide the same level of exceptional service our customers expect from Southwest Airlines. While job security is a priority, we are also rightfully concerned about the long-range effect contract workers will have on our customers and an airline we spent so long to build.

How did Kelleher do it? He kept costs extraordinarily low and customer service high -- and he did both by creating a culture that respected the people he carefully hired. Like Sam Walton, he understood that front-line personnel can either make you or break you. And Kelleher got his people to sign on to the program through profit-sharing plans and stock options that made employees feel and act like owners. It separated Southwest from the pack.
"Years ago," he once told an interviewer, "the business schools used to pose it as a conundrum. They would say, `Well, who comes first? Your employees, your shareholders, or your customers?' But it's not a conundrum. Your employees come first. And if you treat your employees right, guess what? Your customers come back, and that makes your shareholders happy. Start with employees and the rest follows from that."

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/news/companies/1203/gallery.greatest-entrepreneurs.fortune/10.html

Growing pains, while at first uncomfortable, are a good thing. A sign of growing strength.

For the example previously listed (i.e. one flight per day to a foreign destination does not justify hiring a couple new staff).

I'm sure the TWA'ers here can confirm, I seem to recall TW had like 28 employees in TLV simply to handle one flight per day.

We all know how that worked out....

JMHO, I don't like outsourcing of 'anybody'.
Once you start justifying outsourcing 'some one else's job' it will eventually come back to you.
B) xUT

We're forced to outsource MX for downed A/C in Mexico. The country won't allow you to work on your own A/C. Their mechanics have to perform the MX on it.

We're forced to outsource MX for downed A/C in Mexico. The country won't allow you to work on your own A/C. Their mechanics have to perform the MX on it.

Are you sure about that? I know plenty of people who have been on road trips down there...

Yep, we can send mechs down there with whatever part the A/C needs changed, but we can't perform the actual MX on it, they have to. Some stupid law they have down there. As far as testing the new equipment, that's when our mechs come into play. They have to test and verify the new equipment is serviceable, but we can't change parts.

Back