LOA 85 & 86 RATIFIED --- MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - Mar 22

ualstar

Dec 11, 2002
MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE
March 22, 2003

This is Roy Freundlich with US Airways MEC update for Saturday, March 22, with three new items.

Item 1. The Negotiating Committee presented the MEC with tentative agreements yesterday evening on LOA 85, Pilots Defined Contribution Plan and LOA 86, Adjustments to Restructuring Agreements.

The MEC ratified both letters of agreements by passing the following resolution:

WHEREAS the Company’s Plan of Reorganization and ability to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy requires final approval of the ATSB loan, and

WHEREAS the ATSB loan conditions require a resolution to the pension funding issue, and

WHEREAS the bankruptcy court judge has determined that the financial requirements set forth in ERISA for a distress termination of the Pilots DB Plan have been met, and

WHEREAS the bankruptcy judge has stated in his order that “unless the plan is terminated, the debtors will be unable to pay all of their debts pursuant to a plan of reorganization and will be unable to continue in business outside the chapter 11 reorganization process,†and

WHEREAS ALPA retained Hewitt Associates, an actuarial firm, to verify the accuracy of the company’s actuarial data, and to determine if savings from the current funding obligations were available to avoid termination of Pilots DB plan, and

WHEREAS the conclusion of Hewitt Associates and ALPA’s benefit professionals is that no reasonable scenario is available to avoid DB plan termination, and

WHEREAS the Negotiating Committee was charged with investigating a follow on retirement plan that achieves the maximum level of benefits, on an equitable basis, for the greatest number of US Airways Pilots, and

WHEREAS the negotiations concluded on the evening of Friday, March 21st, with a TA being reached between the Negotiating Committee and the Company, and

WHEREAS the MEC has reviewed the company’s current situation, and the relevant sections of the Policy Manual and concluded that it is in the best interests of the US Airways pilots to ratify LOA 85 and LOA 86 by the MEC on an expedited basis,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the MEC ratifies LOA 85, Pilots’ Defined Contribution Plan, and LOA 86, Adjustments to Restructuring Agreements, and associated documents.

Provisions of the LOA 85, Pilots Defined Contribution Plan, proposal include:

· ALPA’s consent to the distress termination of the pilots’ defined benefit pension plan on March 31, 2003.
· The Company agrees to pursue and support a legislative and regulatory solution to the pension funding problem for its defined benefit plans for the remainder of 2003, with the objective of restoring the defined benefit plan.
· Effective date of DC plan is April 1, 2003.
· Contributions effective as of April 1, 2003, unless a DB restoration occurs in 2003.
· 2003 plan contributions would be paid into escrow accounts. Absent a DB plan restoration by December 31, 2003, escrowed funds are to be paid to the new DC plan. DB plan restoration by Dec. 31 will cause these funds to be paid back to the Company. Repayment provisions will be made for pilots retiring in 2003.
· Contributions determined based on a target balance defined as approximately 1 million dollars, for age 60 pilot with 30 years of service.
· Final Average Earnings defined as the 36 consecutive months in last 120 months in which the pilot has the highest earnings
· Accrual rate is 1.8 % for first 25 years, and 1% for year 26-30
· Contributions assumed to earn 8% annually
· Requires PBGC approval. The PBGC review process will begin on March 22 and is expected to take up to five days. If it is approved, plan will be introduced in bankruptcy court next week for review.

Provisions of LOA 86, Adjustments to Restructuring Agreements, include:
· ALPA granted US Airways Inc. board of directors seat, and has at least one major Board committee position, for as long as ALPA has a seat on the US Airways Group board.
· Per modified Plan of Reorganization Stephen Wolf, Rakesh Gangwal and Larry Nagin’s 35 million-dollar lump sum payout will remain eligible for recovery by US Airways’ post-bankruptcy Board of Directors.
· Effective Jan. 1, 2004, pre-65 retiree pilots may purchase basic life insurance provided the Company determines that there is no adverse impact to costs.
· Elimination period for a disability covered by LTD program reduced from 6 months to 120 days.
· Midway Jets for Jobs -- Midway jets for jobs aircraft will be staffed by 100% APL pilots beyond 30 aircraft after all furloughed Midway pilot have been offered recall.
· Company budgets up to $500,000 to implement a special downgrade procedure for A330 F/Os to Group 2 Captain positions.
· ACARS dispute will be addressed in the manner previously agreed to by ALPA, if matter is not resolved, then referred to grievance process.
· ALPA agrees to withdraw the GATT calculations for lump sum distributions grievance.

A March 22 Fact Sheet and LOAs 85 and 86 are being posted on the pilots only section of the MEC website. A roadshow schedule to explain and discuss the agreements is expected to be considered by the MEC next week.

The MEC’s special meeting adjourned at 1:15 a.m. this morning.

Item 2. The MEC has rescheduled its regular first quarter meeting in Annapolis, MD, to March 25-28 at the Annapolis Waterfront Marriott. The meeting is scheduled to now begin at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, March 25, and recess at 6:00 p.m. and then reconvene 9:30 a.m. Wednesday through Friday. The period for pilots in good standing to address the MEC on issues of their own choosing is scheduled for Tuesday, March 25, at 9:30 a.m. All US Airways pilots are encouraged to attend the meeting. The telephone number for transportation information is (410) 268-7555. Please be advised that portions of the meeting may be in closed session.

Item 3. New details are available for pilots wishing to participate in the airline industry event on Capitol Hill on March 25 and 26 to urge support of relief efforts for the airlines as they are impacted by the Iraq war. The airline industry will host rooms on Tuesday, March 25 and Wednesday, March 26, for pilots wishing to visit their members of Congress. Participants will be provided with position papers, maps of Capitol Hill and meal vouchers for Hill cafeterias.

The reception rooms are as follows:
Tues, March 25: 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m. - Capitol Hill Club, 300 1st St., S.E., directly across the street from the Capitol South Metro Station.
Wed., March 26: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. - Room 2237, House Rayburn Building, 1st & Independence Ave. (3rd building north of Capitol South Metro Station).

US Airways pilots are welcome to participate in this effort on their own time. A limited number of space positive seats will be provided. Pilots should attempt to travel space available, if possible. If bookings do not allow, please contact the MEC office at 800-USAIR MEC.

Please remember we have 1,827 pilots on furlough.

Thank you for listening.

Zeph, explain something to me. First of all I am not a fan of givebacks, or both Daves.

But Bronner said he will pull the plug and force in the $360 million dollars which would force US to file chapter 7, no ATSB loan, no $240 million investment and no $200 million investment, no jobs for current pilots and the rest of the employees and the current retires would get the $28,000 max from the PBGC pending their age.

Do you not understand the pilots are in a no win situation?
You take your lumps and live to fight another day.

It is just like Saddam, he has no chance against the US and the pilots had no chance against Dave and Dave.

So do you shoot yourself in the foot or commit complete economic death for yourself and almost 30,000 other employees?

Read the news, UAL, CO, NWAC and AC all laying off, where are you gonna get a job?

----------------
On 3/22/2003 1:28:15 AM ualstar wrote:

MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE
March 22, 2003

This is Roy Freundlich with US Airways MEC update for Saturday, March 22, with three new items.

Item 1. The Negotiating Committee presented the MEC with tentative agreements yesterday evening on LOA 85, Pilots Defined Contribution Plan and LOA 86, Adjustments to Restructuring Agreements.

The MEC ratified both letters of agreements ...
---------------​

[DELETED]

Thousands of retired pilots have had their retirement retroactively stripped from them by self-serving MEC members.

Thousands of active Pilots have had their retirement retroactively stripped from them back to the day they started working decades ago.

Stephen, Carl, Frank, Austin etc. can’t even hold a candle to this MEC.

Shame. Utter Shame.

----------------
On 3/22/2003 11:16:17 AM LavMan wrote:

Zeph, explain something to me. First of all I am not a fan of givebacks, or both Daves.

But Bronner said he will pull the plug and force in the $360 million dollars which would force US to file chapter 7, no ATSB loan, no $240 million investment and no $200 million investment, no jobs for current pilots and the rest of the employees and the current retires would get the $28,000 max from the PBGC pending their age.

Do you not understand the pilots are in a no win situation?
You take your lumps and live to fight another day.

It is just like Saddam, he has no chance against the US and the pilots had no chance against Dave and Dave.

So do you shoot yourself in the foot or commit complete economic death for yourself and almost 30,000 other employees?

Read the news, UAL, CO, NWAC and AC all laying off, where are you gonna get a job?

----------------​

It is simple LAV man.

You live your life in fear of consequences or you live your life by what is right.

The company told the MEC to steal from the retirees to save their own job. The men who took $35 million for themselves, and passed around $6 million to preserve this wonderful talent, just got the MEC to do their dirty work.

If my job depends on stealing from retirees then I am not interested in giving my consent to MGT. Let MGT do what they have to do, but they sure as h.e.l.l won’t have my consent.

I have more respect for a scab than one who will steal retirement. At least the one who looses his job from a scab is still young enough to go out and work.

I would be ashamed to put on a US Airways pilot uniform. Absolute ashamed. A Wal-Mart vest would be more honorable.

If ALPA National signs off on this, then the Donner Party is back and in charge.

Respect for a scab?

Forget it, I am wasting my time with you, a scab is the lowest form of life!

After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, he had some awful substance left with which he made a scab.

A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue.

Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles.

When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and angels weep in heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out.

No man (or woman) has a right to scab so long as there is a pool of water to drown his carcass in, or a rope long enough to hang his body with.

Judas was a gentleman compared with a scab. For betraying his master, he had character enough to hang himself. A scab has not.

Esau sold his birthright for a mess of pottage.

Judas sold his Savior for thirty pieces of silver.

Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commision in the british army.

The scab sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an unfulfilled promise from his employer.

Esau was a traitor to himself; Judas was a traitor to his God; Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country.

A scab is a traitor to his God, his country, his family and his class.

Author --- Jack London (1876-1916)

NO SCABS!

----------------
On 3/22/2003 12:35:39 PM LavMan wrote:

a scab is the lowest form of life!

----------------​

Lavman,

I used to think scabs were the lowest too. To take a job from someone else that is in the middle of a dispute with a company, and engaged in a strike, is terrible. It is to take FUTURE earned money from someone else.

What this MEC has done is take PAST money already earned by retirees. They did not vote on a pay cut for themselves. They did not even vote on a retroactive pay cut for themselves. NO. They voted a retroactive cut on retirees so they could calm their own fears of loosing their own job.

This is utterly shameful if not criminal. It is no wonder that the MEC members have purchased liability insurance to protect them from liabilities of misrepresentation. They are going to need it, and I hope they don’t have enough.

If a scab has no reason to put on his uniform with pride, Complicit Cannibals have less.

Zephyr

----------------
What this MEC has done is take PAST money already earned by retirees. They did not vote on a pay cut for themselves. They did not even vote on a retroactive pay cut for themselves. NO. They voted a retroactive cut on retirees so they could calm their own fears of loosing their own job.
----------------​

The already retired pilots were losing their pension no matter what the MEC did. If the MEC did not sign-off on the new LOA, Bronner very well might have liquidated US, leaving no one with a pension. Now, at least folks with kids still in school, houses nowhere near paid off, etc. can continue to earn an income (plus begin saving in a DC plan). The situation sucks but had to be done, which, incidentally, the ALPA-hired actuaries agreed with!

Zephyr,
1.There are not thousands fo retired US pilots. I think the number is less than 1700.
2.The retiees lawyer, with the backing of the retiees, tried to pressure the active pilots to hang tough with the DB. Or shut the company down. With the company shut down, the retiees would see something like a 5% reduction. Active pilots would see 100% reduction.
So who is trying to get a leg up here?
This T/A just came out, and I have not see it in whole. Have you?
As an active pilot, I have already given tens of thousands of dollars in Hard money. My pention is down the crapper, hundreds of my fellow pilots have been layed off, the contract raped. It goes on and on.
As I said, I have no idea of how this T/A affects the retiees. I''m trying to figure out how it affects me.
I will say this, you walk by my cockpit door on a pass and mutter something that US pilots are scabs,or if I should hear about it after you are seated,you will be off my a/c in a blink of an eye.

----------------
On 3/22/2003 5:26:12 PM Atlantic wrote:

I will say this, you walk by my cockpit door on a pass and mutter something that US pilots are scabs,or if I should hear about it after you are seated,you will be off my a/c in a blink of an eye.

----------------​

I didn''t say anything about US Air pilots being scabs.

Your offense is unfounded. There are thousands who did not get to vote on this and would have done the right thing if they had been alowed to.

If a man stormed your house and said, "Give me your kids and I''ll let you keep you wife, and if you don''t then I will take both your kids and your wife."... would you say, "Let''s eat hon. While the kids go out for a bit."

Or would you tell him, "Get the he.ll off my plane... I mean out of my house."

Cheers

Zephyr,
Well I guess I''m mixxed up then.
What was your point to Lavman @4:45 on 3/22?
Who is the scab?

I believe the mistakes were made years ago. ALPA negociated the DB plan and stuck with it, not realizing the consequences of a BK. Not too much vision, IMO. I''m twelve years retired and pissed!

I personally want to thank our MEC members for doing what had to be done and getting the best deal possible. They are line pilots first and have to live with this contract too. They put in long hard hours away from home and family for nothing other than trying to help their fellow pilots. They have my respect and thanks, especially during these ultra-trying times. Its time to pull together, all employees, and get down to the business of doing everything we can to save this airline. I agree with Dave, it is worth saving. We have the finest employees in the industry turning out a good product.
God bless us all.