Looking for Advice...

majortom546

Jun 25, 2009
I just graduated from high school and my dream job is to become a pilot. I have wanted to be a pilot since a very young age. I plan on attending my local community college this fall. They offer an aviation science program that is mainly a transfer program where you go for 2 years then transfer to a 4-year school for the other two. The course description says:

The Associate in Science (A.S.) degree is awarded upon completion of requirements for this program.

* Student will satisfy all requirements to earn a Private Pilot License.
* Student will satisfy all requirements to earn an Instrument Rating.
* Student will satisfy all requirements to earn a Commercial Pilot License.

The total cost of the program is $27,000. What schools could I transfer to after this? And do you guys think its worth it or should I persue a degree in something else? What is the job outlook like? Thanks.

Nothing wrong with being a pilot....people always have to fly aircraft, as well as maintain them. If you are on the fence, and considering other options, may I suggest an Engineering Degree. There are many areas you could pursue with that, and still keep options open to be a pilot. May take more time and money, but, in the long run, you have several avenues to pursue.

Go into engineering and enlist and become a fighter pilot.

You can soar with the Eagles and still have something to fall back on....either commercial flying or engineering plus pension and still be young when you are done.

Jet-Jockey-web.jpg

I think flying a state of the art high speed jet aircraft for ten or so years would be worth some braggin' rights when a little older plus be cool as ten.

Goodluck!

Go into engineering and enlist and become a fighter pilot.

You can soar with the Eagles and still have something to fall back on....either commercial flying or engineering plus pension and still be young when you are done.

Jet-Jockey-web.jpg

I think flying a state of the art high speed jet aircraft for ten or so years would be worth some braggin' rights when a little older plus be cool as ten.

Goodluck!

Hey,
I have actually looked into this very much in the past and have finally made a decision. I will actually be going to Air Force ROTC next year at Arizona State. I'm going to do the very best I can to compete for a pilot spot. Thanks for the advice.

Hey,
I have actually looked into this very much in the past and have finally made a decision. I will actually be going to Air Force ROTC next year at Arizona State. I'm going to do the very best I can to compete for a pilot spot. Thanks for the advice.

Wise choice methinks. The bottom line with commercial flying is that one gets to work with truly wonderful people, and the office window view's great...but...trust me on this, the no BS, REAL flying is only found within the military. Give yourself the chance to experience both the finest flight training and best actual flying there is. I'd strongly suggest exploring the potential for gaining a pilot slot through joining an Air Nat'l Guard or USAFR unit as well.

The very best of luck to you. Go get 'em! :up: