Looks at these elected morons

How come my great grandfather had to learn English when he came to the US? People where he lived still celebrate their German heritage, but they all SPEAK English.

Amerika wurde auf Verschiedenartigkeit errichtet. :p

B) UT

How come my great grandfather had to learn English when he came to the US? People where he lived still celebrate their German heritage, but they all SPEAK English.

I agree, English should be the official language.
Even the EU agrees (including the French :p ), but we have a group of indecisive politicians that cannot make up their minds on which poll to follow.

B) UT

Now they set up their own little countrys and cultures.

Exactly!!! :up:

Go to SF China Town, enter a crowded restaurant to order Dim Sum, better learn to make hand signals for #1, #2, etc... Do not even attempt to ask the waitress for the ingredients (which may not be a bad idea :p but tasty nonetheless).

The only person that can speak 'some' English is the Dude that processes your credit card. :blink:

Disclaimer:
This applies to many areas throughout the US and is not specific to ethnicity as the example above.... :lol:

B) UT

Exactly!!! :up:

Go to SF China Town, enter a crowded restaurant to order Dim Sum, better learn to make hand signals for #1, #2, etc... Do not even attempt to ask the waitress for the ingredients (which may not be a bad idea :p but tasty nonetheless).

The only person that can speak 'some' English is the Dude that processes your credit card. :blink:

Disclaimer:
This applies to many areas throughout the US and is not specific to ethnicity as the example above.... :lol:

B) UT
So learn to speak a few words of Cantonese, or whatever it may be, to navigate the menu. Otherwise, just hang out with the rest of "Middle America" and stays sheltered where you're comfortable! ;)

Because it is the most common. It is the language of commerce. Speaking English in America is the best way to improve your career. Having one language simplifies everything. We won't have to do driving tests and voter pamphlets in multiple languages. Having to accomodate all languages is a bureaucratic nightmare.
In the past immigrants assimilated into our culture. You know, "the melting pot".
Yes, it is the most common. Common people are boring.

I agree that English is nationally recognized as a way to communicate; does not mean it has to be the "official" language.

With the way the world economy is heading today, I would not at all be surprised if future CEO's and higher-ups are fluent in Japanese and definitely Chinese as well. Refuse to adapt, and the world changes around you......

With the way the world economy is heading today, I would not at all be surprised if future CEO's and higher-ups are fluent in Japanese and definitely Chinese as well. Refuse to adapt, and the world changes around you......
Naw..they'll hire some flunky who will act as their translator - the job won't pay great, but at least they won't fly coach very often.

So learn to speak a few words of Cantonese, or whatever it may be, to navigate the menu. Otherwise, just hang out with the rest of "Middle America" and stays sheltered where you're comfortable! ;)

You may test well but your cognitive skills need work. :p

--------------------
Edited by Me :p

So next time you are out and about don't speak any English and see how exciting you can be.
In what language do you want your definition??? :D
Common people are common for reasons not necessarily including speaking just one language.

What languages can you offer me your definition in? B)

What languages can you offer me your definition in? B)
Sorry I just speak english. I am one of those boring people.

If you want your definition in another language we should probably call someone in the government. They've got a multitude of interpeters standing by to help out all of the non-assimilated immigrants.

Isn't it great that we have job opportunities for people just to translate. America....what a country. :up:

Sorry I just speak english. I am one of those boring people.

If you want your definition in another language we should probably call someone in the government. They've got a multitude of interpeters standing by to help out all of the non-assimilated immigrants.

Isn't it great that we have job opportunities for people just to translate. America....what a country. :up:
I notice that when UAL TECH and I were conversing in German, nobody seemed to join in. I guess we weren't exciting enough, although I think we were among the most diverse people on these boards at the time.