Lots Of New Flights At Mdw!

ngneer

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Southwest Airlines Celebrates 20 Years in Chicago!
Thursday March 17, 11:00 am ET
- Airline Announces Slew of New Service at Chicago Midway With Fares Starting at $39 One-Way

CHICAGO, March 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV - News) celebrates 20 years at Chicago Midway today, and Chicago Customers are getting all the gifts! Today, Southwest announces a plethora of new service from the Windy City giving Chicago Customers even more flights to even more Southwest cities.

"Southwest made Chicago Midway a main focus for growth in 2004. This dramatic increase in flights shows our dedication to that growth, and our new gates will help accommodate our expanding schedule," said Gary Kelly, Southwest's chief executive officer. "The ability to add these 18 new flights over the next five months is a testament to our Employees' hard work and our Customers' loyalty and dedication to Southwest Airlines."

Southwest's new service breaks down as follows. To take advantage of these new flights click: http://www.southwest.com/jp/systemwide_mdw..._MDW20th_031705

Beginning May 4, 2005:
* One new daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and San Jose.
* One additional daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Tampa
Bay (for a total of seven daily).

Beginning May 31, 2005:
* One new daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Austin.
* One new daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and New Orleans.
* Two additional daily nonstop flights between Chicago Midway and Philadelphia (for a total of seven daily).
* One additional daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Albuquerque (for a total of two daily).

Beginning June 17, 2005:
* Two new daily nonstop flights between Chicago Midway and Buffalo.
* Two additional daily nonstop flights between Chicago Midway and Houston Hobby (for a total of six daily).
* One additional daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Islip/Long Island (for a total of four daily).

Beginning July 5, 2005:
* Two new daily nonstop flights between Chicago Midway and Albany, N.Y.
* One new daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Tucson.
* One new daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Sacramento.
* One additional daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Los Angeles (for a total of seven daily).
* One additional daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Islip/Long Island (four a total of five daily).

"This incredible amount of new service in the coming months will make traveling more convenient for our Customers," said Kelly. "Additionally, these new flights will bring Southwest Airlines to more than 3,000 daily nonstop departures nationwide."

coolflyingfool said:
SJC had just lost its nonstop to BWI and now gets a MDW.
[post="256801"][/post]​

This now makes a corrected billboard on Cicero correct. When it was first put up, months ago, it's said, "Non-Stop Non-Stops to the Bay Area", and listed both OAK and SJC. :blink:

I called Dallas about it, and the SJC part was covered over. Guess they can take off the "correction" :rolleyes:

Today's announcement also explains the addtional 110 flight attendants we're getting in May.

johnny gearpin said:
As MDW is booming, ( :up: ) is there plan for Mechanic staffing increases? More flights may make more overnighting aircraft that need maintenance?

Best regards,

Johnny Gearpin
[post="256876"][/post]​

Johnny,

I'd guess this is true, based solely on the purchase of the ATA hangar. We're doubling our hangar space at MDW.

Disclaimer: Haven't seen any specific memo on any other work group.

My only fear in all this is that more people are going to discover the joy of flying from MDW than O'hare. New terminal, shorter taxi's,faster connections, faster to downtown Chicago on the Orange line, and better food than O'hare. After DAL and SNA my favorite

ngneer said:
Southwest Airlines Celebrates 20 Years in Chicago!
Thursday March 17, 11:00 am ET
- Airline Announces Slew of New Service at Chicago Midway With Fares Starting at $39 One-Way

CHICAGO, March 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV - News) celebrates 20 years at Chicago Midway today, and Chicago Customers are getting all the gifts! Today, Southwest announces a plethora of new service from the Windy City giving Chicago Customers even more flights to even more Southwest cities.

"Southwest made Chicago Midway a main focus for growth in 2004. This dramatic increase in flights shows our dedication to that growth, and our new gates will help accommodate our expanding schedule," said Gary Kelly, Southwest's chief executive officer. "The ability to add these 18 new flights over the next five months is a testament to our Employees' hard work and our Customers' loyalty and dedication to Southwest Airlines."

Southwest's new service breaks down as follows. To take advantage of these new flights click: http://www.southwest.com/jp/systemwide_mdw..._MDW20th_031705

Beginning May 4, 2005:
* One new daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and San Jose.
* One additional daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Tampa
Bay (for a total of seven daily).

Beginning May 31, 2005:
* One new daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Austin.
* One new daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and New Orleans.
* Two additional daily nonstop flights between Chicago Midway and Philadelphia (for a total of seven daily).
* One additional daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Albuquerque (for a total of two daily).

Beginning June 17, 2005:
* Two new daily nonstop flights between Chicago Midway and Buffalo.
* Two additional daily nonstop flights between Chicago Midway and Houston Hobby (for a total of six daily).
* One additional daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Islip/Long Island (for a total of four daily).

Beginning July 5, 2005:
* Two new daily nonstop flights between Chicago Midway and Albany, N.Y.
* One new daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Tucson.
* One new daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Sacramento.
* One additional daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Los Angeles (for a total of seven daily).
* One additional daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway and Islip/Long Island (four a total of five daily).

"This incredible amount of new service in the coming months will make traveling more convenient for our Customers," said Kelly. "Additionally, these new flights will bring Southwest Airlines to more than 3,000 daily nonstop departures nationwide."
[post="256603"][/post]​

Great, but I'm still waiting for an OKC-MDW nonstop. Our market is desperately underserved and this would help connect a lot of still-unconnected dots from OKC to the east coast! It's been 6 years since I've transferred to OKC, so I'm not holding my breath (although I will be doing the Happy Dance if and when that day arrives!!!).