Low Pay at CO?

tech2101

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
Reality
You have to be kidding! In LA?

A starting A&P makes 18/hr. I thought that pay scale was a joke until I read this on Continental Airlines website:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/...px?i=JobsSignIn

Maintenance Lead - LAX
Los Angeles, CA

Salary $15.01 per hour. :shock:

Equal Opportunity Employer by Choice.

Travel subject to service charges/restrictions. Bonuses awarded only under terms of Continental's policies.

NO AGENCIES PLEASE

Responsibilities

* Lead maintenance associates in daily maintenance operation
* Maintain, troubleshoot and repair kitchen equipment i.e. refrigeration, air conditioning, and/or electrical.
* Blows down boiler and feed chemical
* Contacts vendors to obtain cost efficient bids or proposals in maintaining or repair as needed.
* Completes any scheduled and unscheduled work orders as necessary.
* Operate and/or check emergency generator and fuel.
* Operate ice plant equipment and bag ice.
* Maintain Federal, State, City and County regulations.
Refill grease hood ventilator with detergent
* Add salt to water softener equipment
* Check and maintain pneumatic lines and regulators
* Change Warewashing equipment chemical
* Perform preventive maintenance on mechanical appliance and equipment
* Support unit in the Supply Chain Optimization initiative
Performs other duties as assigned.

Qualifications

* Must not have any written termination warnings within the past 6 months.
* Attendance must be acceptable to transfer (no more than 4 instances).
* High school graduate and two years work experience in at least one of the following trades:
air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, or heating; or graduation from an accredited trade school in one of the above trades; or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
* Working knowledge in one or more of the following facility maintenance trades, which include: plumbing, automotive mechanics, boiler repair, ventilation systems or general building repairs.
* Must have own tools.
* Ability to perform basic math skills.
* Ability to work and communicate with associates.
* Ability to operate equipment such as forklift, hand truck, pallet jack, baler, and other mechanical equipment.
* Ability to read, speak and write in English.
* Available to work all shifts to cover a 24-hour operation.
* Available to work holidays and overtime as necessary.
* Physical requirements.
* Walking Stretching, standing pushing/pulling/lifting 60 to 80 lbs.,
bending Continuous climbing over 10 feet.
* Must be legally authorized to work in the US for any employer without sponsorship.

This is not a CO job for a licensed A&P mechanic, it is for Chelsea, their catering arm.

I know this is not an A&P position. If you read my post more carefully, you would see that I said that a starting A&P at CO makes $18/hr.

No where in this job posting does it say that it is a Chelsea job.

Anyone with the skills to meet the job requirements in the posting can go elsewhere and make significantly more in a facilites maintenance position. This is for a "Lead".

This is not a CO job for a licensed A&P mechanic, it is for Chelsea, their catering arm.

There are now 20 open positions at EWR for A&P's:

Line Maintenance Technician - EWR

20 Full Time Positions

Newark, New Jersey

Starting Salary is $18.33/hr (license premiums are included)

Two of our guys left to work at a local university as licensed hvac techs- $29 an hour, full benes and your children attend for free after 5 years of service - $140k value.

Two of our guys left to work at a local university as licensed hvac techs- $29 an hour, full benes and your children attend for free after 5 years of service - $140k value.

That was the whole point of this thread, and my last post. By no means does CO have the low pay market cornered for the A&P/AMT. They are probably the best legacy carrier to be starting with right now, if someone so desired.

I tell anyone who will listen to get out of this industry, (aircraft maintenance) ASAP. HVAC techs, electricians, etc...have all surpassed the licensed AMT in wages in most markets today.

That was the whole point of this thread, and my last post. By no means does CO have the low pay market cornered for the A&P/AMT. They are probably the best legacy carrier to be starting with right now, if someone so desired.

I tell anyone who will listen to get out of this industry, (aircraft maintenance) ASAP. HVAC techs, electricians, etc...have all surpassed the licensed AMT in wages in most markets today.
I tell the same too, but also don't fly unless you really have to.

15/hr? Youre better off being a flight attendant! I know one guy on the line who use to be a mechanic and is now a flight attendant. WTF! (who knows, maybe he thinks this is a swell way to hook up with the wimin' folks. :shock:

15/hr? Youre better off being a flight attendant! I know one guy on the line who use to be a mechanic and is now a flight attendant. WTF! (who knows, maybe he thinks this is a swell way to hook up with the wimin' folks. :shock:
Now thats funny!!! Knowing how the male mind works thats exactly what this guy is thinking. Rock on dude. When I first got into the airline buisness me and a few buddies traveled the world to see if could find something that was sideways instead of up and down we never found it,,,,,, but we sure had fun lookin!!!!!!!!!

That is because some yahoos don't relize that f/a pay is not based on a 40 hr week but flight hours. They would be MIGHTY upset when that first f/a check arrived. Now the trade off is job flexibility (or was) and not working every day of the week.

Back