Low-wage Delta workers in NYC set for raise

That would be the Crystal Palace (my name for it). It is fabulous. A huge waste of money IMO. They could and should have found some cheaper existing space.

Back on topic again. I would like to see all airports that receive federal AIP funds be compelled to pay the new minimum wage enacted by the POTUS for federal contracts.

Well no apartments there, and no maids at hdq, I have been there, have you?

And the maids are at placid harbor, they maintain the dorm rooms which resemble motel rooms.

And those workers are represented by a union and have a CBA, better than the $9 an hour janitors Delta pays.

And Glenn you know the building is paid for, they sold the old HDQ in DC, and paid for the new building and put money in the bank from the sale of the old HDQ building.

thanks for trying to get the thread back on topic, Q.

I appreciate you making the effort.

Since the legality of NY's move is being challenged, I doubt very seriously that NJ is going to go rushing in to force the wages up.

The bigger question is why DL's biggest competitors in NYC - AA and B6 - haven't done the same thing.

And if this differentiation in compensation strategies remains, it will be interesting to see what difference it really make sin the marketplace.

You would certainly have to think that DL's contractors will be the first choice if the salary remains higher.

Reactions: 1 person
Part of the problem with the other carriers is the existence of CBA's. A union carrier cannot increase the pay of a certain class of worker in one location without increasing for all. Delta does not have the burden of a CBA.

Of course this may not be the case here. I would certainly hope that any worker covered by a CBA is making more than minimum wage, or whatever the new wage is.

WorldTraveler said:
thanks for trying to get the thread back on topic, Q.

I appreciate you making the effort.

Since the legality of NY's move is being challenged, I doubt very seriously that NJ is going to go rushing in to force the wages up.

The bigger question is why DL's biggest competitors in NYC - AA and B6 - haven't done the same thing.

And if this differentiation in compensation strategies remains, it will be interesting to see what difference it really make sin the marketplace.

You would certainly have to think that DL's contractors will be the first choice if the salary remains higher.
I thought that is was for ALL minimum paid workers at both of the airports. That includes the vendors. (Like DGS; ASIG; AirServ; Airway; Gateway; etc. How much does AA (with US) and B6 have vendored out? I guess DL did what they were supposed to do because they have DGS, I guess. I'm quite sure that mainline (ans maybe RR employees) get paid more than the minimum wage. There is a lot of contractors at the airports, and they deserve a raise. NJ needs to follow suit for EWR.

It's the right and moral thing to do.

Reactions: 2 people
700UW said:
Well no apartments there, and no maids at hdq, I have been there, have you?

And the maids are at placid harbor, they maintain the dorm rooms which resemble motel rooms.

And those workers are represented by a union and have a CBA, better than the $9 an hour janitors Delta pays.

And Glenn you know the building is paid for, they sold the old HDQ in DC, and paid for the new building and put money in the bank from the sale of the old HDQ building.
And incrementally they would be in a stronger financial position had a more modest facility been built. Yes there was a gain from the sale but the question is could those resources be better used for something else? With more of a surplus the IAM wouldn't need to increase dues by as much and as often?

Funny then why don't the ~$9/hr Air Serve, SWISSPort and Hawaiian Part Time Reserve workers who pay IAM dues get the same standards as employees of the union? Please explain that. The IAM has facilitated and encouraged this trend. Awaiting your explanation/rationalization.

Josh

737823 said:
And incrementally they would be in a stronger financial position had a more modest facility been built. Yes there was a gain from the sale but the question is could those resources be better used for something else? With more of a surplus the IAM wouldn't need to increase dues by as much and as often?
Funny then why don't the ~$9/hr Air Serve, SWISSPort and Hawaiian Part Time Reserve workers who pay IAM dues get the same standards as employees of the union? Please explain that. The IAM has facilitated and encouraged this trend. Awaiting your explanation/rationalization.
Josh
The thread is "Low wage Delta workers in NYC set for raise".

Can you please refrain from turning this one into an anti-IAM, you versus 700UW bitchfest again.

Reactions: 3 people
Part of the problem with the other carriers is the existence of CBA's.
...Or going the other way, perhaps by having CBA's, other carriers have less work outsourced comparitively?

Of course it is. But if companies were truly interested in doing the "right and moral" thing, they would've been paying the higher wage already...

Can you please refrain from turning this one into an anti-IAM, you versus 700UW bitchfest again.
+1

Glenn Quagmire said:
Going forward yes, I wasn't the one who took it off topic.

Josh

T5towbar said:
I thought that is was for ALL minimum paid workers at both of the airports. That includes the vendors. (Like DGS; ASIG; AirServ; Airway; Gateway; etc. How much does AA (with US) and B6 have vendored out? I guess DL did what they were supposed to do because they have DGS, I guess. I'm quite sure that mainline (ans maybe RR employees) get paid more than the minimum wage. There is a lot of contractors at the airports, and they deserve a raise. NJ needs to follow suit for EWR.

yes it is the right and moral thing to do but that hasn't stopped many workers from accepting salaries below what is moral and right. If people didn't work for those wages, then the market at those wages would dry up and the going rate would immediately be pushed up.

The minimum wage in the US has been the subject of great political and economic debates for years - and esp. the economic arguments can't just be tossed out.

There are more and more cities on both coasts that are imposing local minimum wages that are above the federal minimums. Given that this is based on the federal contractor rate, it isn't necessarily uniquely a NE wage. It does say that frustration with the federal minimum wage is growing. It is hard to argue it is sufficient even in middle America; it is impossible to defend it as a living wage on the coasts.

But the question again is why should the most unskilled workers be rewarded for not increasing their educational and professional qualifications and allow them to gain wages that are alot closer to what more experienced workers make.

The article says there are about 8000 low wage workers at the big 3 NYC airports that are affected; only 2000 of them work on behalf of DL.

Kev,
maintenance is all the evidence to show that the most unionized carriers have some of the highest levels of outsourcing. Only one airline with a CBA for its mechanics - AA - has lower levels of outsourcing than DL.

737823 said:
Does your house have pics of Buffy, Roach, and Sito? Does it look like 9000 Machinists Place? Looks like a pretty impressive facility to me, wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had services apartments on the premises. Don't they have a staff of maids paid $70k+ benefits?

Josh

737823 said:
Nope my home has pics of my family, childhood dog, friends, and original art purchased throughout my travels.

Josh

737823 said:
Going forward yes, I wasn't the one who took it off topic.

Josh

Kev,
maintenance is all the evidence to show that the most unionized carriers have some of the highest levels of outsourcing. Only one airline with a CBA for its mechanics - AA - has lower levels of outsourcing than DL.
Dandy. That's also a red herring since AMT's likely aren't involved here...

I have a strictly mechanical/legal question:   This order applies (primarily) to the employees of various third-party contractors (Airserv, Globe, etc) as the employees of the airlines themselves are probably already above minimum wage.    So how does DL enforce the wages that its contractors pay those employees?   What if DL sends those companies a strongly worded letter demanding that those companies pay their employees more and the companies respond with a polite "go pound sand, Delta?"   

Kev3188 said:
Dandy. That's also a red herring since AMT's likely aren't involved here...
 not really... there is a baseline for measuring that statistic by the DOT and it does have application unless you can find other stats that show otherwise.

FWAAA said:
I have a strictly mechanical/legal question:   This order applies (primarily) to the employees of various third-party contractors (Airserv, Globe, etc) as the employees of the airlines themselves are probably already above minimum wage.    So how does DL enforce the wages that its contractors pay those employees?   What if DL sends those companies a strongly worded letter demanding that those companies pay their employees more and the companies respond with a polite "go pound sand, Delta?"
probably the same way the US government requires certain conditions of its contractors. If they don't provide, they lose the contract.

There is no reason that DL or any private employer can't require the same thing of its contractors. Of course DL has to be willing to pay higher contract costs or demonstrate its contract already is "rich enough" to provide for such minimums.

DL, like other airlines, already have performance minimums related to meeting corporate goals like on-time that most certainly result in higher costs to the contractor.

T5towbar said:
This increase affects ALL airline employees and vendors operating at JFK and LGA. It's good that DL did the right thing since they are the biggest operator at the two airports. I'm quite sure that the vendors that do work for B6 and AA/US will be happy.Why don't you ask Christie why he won't do it in EWR? Nothing from stopping him from doing it. AirServ; Gateway. ASIG; Airway; and the other vendors would be happy.Bottom line is America deserves a raise.BTW: I don't want to get too political, by your tag line of 17 billion dollars: 2 off the books wars and Medicare Part D. This mess was left over by the previous administration and now the Repugs are using the Jude Wineski's (by Paul Weyrich of the Heritage Foundation) "Two Christmases" plan of choking the government when there is a Democrat in office, while spending like madmen during a Republican administration. Facts is facts. Prove me wrong on that theory. This Congress won't let this President spend any money. We need a WPA program to fix this broken infrastructure like airports and the like. The PA just announced their plans for the airports this week. Freedom Tower took a ton of money from the Port's budget. This country is crumbling around us and people are ready to go to work (not for slave wages, though) to fix it.Sorry about the rant, but I just can't let people get away with inaccurate statements or taglines.
Dude, spin it however you want but the National debt was at 8 trillion when the annointed one took office.