MAJOR REDUCTIONS SEPTEMBER 08

Barfbag

Veteran
Oct 30, 2006
NEWS ALERT
from The Wall Street Journal

June 5, 2008

Continental said it plans to cut 3,000 jobs, reduce domestic departures by 16% beginning in September and cut the size of its fleet, as soaring fuel prices leave the airline industry in a crisis. Chief Executive Larry Kellner and President Jeff Smisek have declined their salaries for the rest of the year.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, please see: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1212664262...d=djemalertNEWS

Just want to send my best wishes to all the CO folks as well. I think this is something that every carrier is going to experience. Well ok, maybe not WN but the rest of us, lol.

yeah I wonder who will announce cuts next? Delta was first, then American, United, now Continental. The only ones left of the majors are USair and Nwa, then there is Airtran. It is a sad time for all of us. Good luck to all.

CO net aircraft reductions will be 31 aircraft through the end of 2009. They are getting rid of 67 older aircraft (737-300's & 500"s), but replacing them with new 737-800 & 900ER Aircraft. They have 13 500's that were sold earlier this year to a Russian carrier. In addition they will retire 24 of the 300's by Dec 08 with the remaining 23 in their fleet going by the end of 2009. 7 addition 500's will leave in 2009. ASM's will only be down YOY .7 to 2.7% at the end of 2009 due to aircraft deliveries. They are scheduled to receive 6 737-800's and 10 737-900ER's in 2008 and 18 737-900ER's & 2 777's in 2009.

Of the 3000 layoffs 1600 are to come from management, clerical, etc. The remaining will come from ramp, ticket, and flight crews. Although in the past they have done a good job of mitigating these by early out, leaves, etc. Good luck to all, it's a tough road ahead.

One of the most telling sentences I've read about the cutbacks which emphasizes the difference between CO and all the rest of us...

"The company also said Chairman and Chief Executive Lawrence Kellner and President Jeff Smisek will not take salaries or incentive pay for the rest of the year." Now that's class!

yeah I wonder who will announce cuts next? Delta was first, then American, United, now Continental. The only ones left of the majors are USair and Nwa, then there is Airtran. It is a sad time for all of us. Good luck to all.

A "posssible" reason NWA isn't laying off right now might be because they outsourced around 60 stations worth of employees back in 2006....that took THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS off the payroll back then....

NWA announced pretty significant cuts for Fall of '08 awhile ago...

Spirit Airlines just announced they're furloughing 60% of their flight attendants and 40% of their pilots. We all need some luck, with the way airlines are today.

also gone in Sept. CLE - LGW and 1 EWR-LGW both 757's

CLE is seasonal service and always was intended to go away in the winter. It will be back next summer again.

Most of CO's flying to London was shifted to Heathrow so it's no supprise about LGW. They can use that aircraft somewhere they can make more money.