Man killed on ramp in ELP

Dec 7, 2005
EL PASO, TX. - The Federal Aviation Administration confirms to ABC-7 that a man was killed after being sucked into a jet engine Monday morning. The accident happened on the Continental Airlines side of the terminal, shortly after 9am.

According to FAA Southwest Regional office, Continental Flight 1515 was at the gate undergoing maintenance. At some point a member of the ground crew was then sucked into the number 2 engine of the Boeing 737.

The FAA could not confirm if the worker was a mechanic or other ground crew member.

ABC-7 contacted the airport spokesperson who would only say that there was an accident, that was being investigated by Federal authorities. ABC-7 was able to confirm that the National Transportation and Safety Board (NTSB) is investigating the incident.

Continental Airlines officials tell ABC-7 that at least two flights are delayed because of the accident. Additionally, a Continental flight from El Paso to Houston was scheduled to leave at around 9AM still hasn't left. Below is a list of flight delays as of 12:30pm

1515-Houston 9:17am (not departed)

3160-Houston 10:45am (11:30am)

2502-Houston 1:45pm

3103-Houston 3:00pm

I posted this under another topic for techs - it was a contract Mx tech - I am hearing he was completely injested as the engine was at power. The ramp there is closed for the investigation and cleanup.

(CNN) -- A mechanic standing near a Boeing 737 at El Paso International Airport in Texas was sucked into one of the engines and killed Monday, officials said.

Continental Airlines Flight 1515 was preparing to take off for Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston when "a maintenance-related engine run-up of the right-hand engine" was carried out, said Roland Herwig, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration's southwest region in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

"Someone on the ground was sucked into the engine," he said.

In a written statement, Continental Chairman and CEO Larry Kellner said the person killed was a mechanic who worked for one of the airline's suppliers.

"My fellow coworkers and I extend our heartfelt sympathies to the family and friends of the mechanic involved in this tragic event," Kellner said.

...what a tragedy, it only takes a split second for a mistake like this to change lives forever. I will not point fingers, because several events that we dont yet have knowledge of surely lead to this disaster. But I will say this much...SAFETY...SAFETY...SAFETY...!Ive personally been doing engine runs on the ground and in the flightdeck for 10 years now and have never seen anyone injured seriously, much less killed.

Training is and should be the utmost priority when it comes to doing such a hazardous job, There is NO room for error.

GOD Bless this soul, and his family!

My Prayers and Thoughts are with him and his Family. May he rest in Peace forever. God Help Him and His Family

What a horrible tragedy, but one that will likely be more common as airlines continue to cut costs.

More than likely one of the things that could have prevented this was training, which the poor soul probably never recieved, after all it costs money to train. The Ramp is a hazardous area.

Give me a break....any mechanic knows the hazards of a running jet engine.

The local media have released the name of the mechanic killed in yesterday's incident at ELP, and his name was Donald Gene Buchanan, 64.

In lieu of posting condolences here (which those who could benefit from the extended sympathies will probably not see), those who are so inclined might want to send a card to:

The Buchanan Family
c/o Julie's Aircraft Service, Inc.
El Paso International Airport
6805 Boeing Drive
El Paso, TX 79925 USA

If you have qualms about sending a card to someone who isn't family or a friend, then by all means don't. If as a member of the aviation community and human race you feel compelled to express your sympathies, especially given the horrific nature of the gentleman's passing, you now have the means to do so.

As said on another board, "We were so sorry to hear of your loss...That's all one needs to hear." "Can't hurt. Might help."

I hope it does...

Back