Trip Report-First Trip on Airtran (LGA-ATL-SAV and Back)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post Citrus.... That pretty much spells out about how I feel at times. The Mission Statement is this: If found, drop in any mail.... wait... "Innovative people dedicated to delivering the best flying experience to smart travelers. Every day". Now. alot of us think that way and are innovated but there are a few that are un-motivated and this is where we have a problem. I think if you went to each and every Airline, as well as any service oriented company and about anywhere on the planet, you'll find the same thing. I also inquired about possibly installing 'Hooks" at the Bulkheads for Coats and was about told to take an 'Eternal Lunch Break' and asked if I was 'applying for a session on Dr Phil'! Art, from your first post until your last, the price went up $100..... I understand inflation is bad but man, you already took the trip, so how did it rise afterwards? In closing, let me just say this. We are a LCC, nothing more and nothing less. You expected lower and you got lower. We won't apologize for that but we will for people not doing what they are supposed to do. If, for some reason you happen to end up on a flight with us again, I hope to be seated next to you. I'll be damn sure you get the coffee and extra snacks.

QA :)
[/quote]
QA

Thanks for the help with the mission statement. My confusion lay in who was supposed to be "innovative". I thought the passenger was innovative for searching high and low for the best fare, but I stand corrected. Tasking the employee with being "innovative" is what leads to many of the problems I described. I'm not talking about the kind of innovation you attempted by suggesting coat hooks to make life easier for our customers; I'm talking about the innovation of some employees that cause them to feel that if they don't come to work and find 17 "things" to change, then they haven't done their job.

It's the new "rule" about eating in the gate area: when I have 30 minutes in ATL to set the brakes on one plane, wait for pax to deplane, gather my stuff, pick up a bag o' grease from Popeyes and rush to the new gate with 3 minutes to eat before I have to get on the next airplane, I'm told by the "innovative" gate agt. that her "innovative" supervisor has decided I can't eat near the gate. My exact reply would be delated by the Moderator, so I'll save him the time, but it involves telling the agt. that she can call her supervisor, her supervisor's supervisor, and the VP of Supervisors for all I care, and the 4 of them can watch me devour my grease in the gate area.

It's the gate agt. that a few months ago, told me that I, as Captain, could no longer decide who sits on the cockpit jumpseat. She said that an exciting, innovative change had just come out that stated that it was up to the gate agt. as to who gets to sit on the j/s. I explained to her (laughing, because I knew that she was wrong, but with all the "innovation" going on, she was convinced she was right) that the Delta pilot we would leave who was trying to get home would go back to work and rightfully spread this story and we would soon find ourselves in a j/s "war", with our commuting pilots unable to get to work. After informing the Chief Pilot about this "innovative", unapproved- by- him change, and almost having to restart his ticker with a portable defibrillator, we're back to original policy.

It's the "innovators" in the training dept. that can't stand to go a week without puting out a change to someone's manual. This change usually contains a minimum of 3 "changes" that go against existing company policy, which then results in 2 more bulletins to rescind the changes, and 1 or 2 more to correct typos to the changes to the changes. All told: 4 bulletins to let me know that we're keeping existing company policy.

I'm convinced that somewhere in MCO at HQ, probably in some swank office with a hot secretary, is a Vice President of Change. This guy and his department cause more turmoil and kill more trees for their paper, then anyone I know.

The truth is that 99% of the time I'm at work, I (nor others) don't need to be "innovative". We simply need to show up, do our jobs, and go home. It's just not that difficult. Suggestions that benefit our customers, as you did, are what we need. Keeping our costs low and conserving as much fuel as possible is what we need.

p.s. If 1 gate agt. and 3 supervisors are ever found on C concourse, clubbed to death with a chicken leg or a large burrito from Moe's, ...well nevermind.

QA,

By the time I changed my return flights, the prices crept up from $690 to $750 including the one way upgrade, and then $100 for the fare difference to Biz on the return as that was the only class of service available. So what started out at $690 or so ended up at $850. I hope that explains the fare difference.

Citrus, thank you for a most thoughtful post. Let me clarify, that the in flight service I had issue with was a 737 between LGA and ATL, it was not ATL-SAV or vice versa. To have one half of the premium cabin totally ignored just does not cut it, especially since the upgrade was paid for, and on the return full business class was purchased.

My comment regarding the exit rows requires some clarification. I originally booked an M fare, which is one of the highest of the coach fares. My suggestion was that at M or higher, the exit rows should be offered at NO additional charge since the price is already somewhat of a premium. I understand they offer exit rows for sale, but at a certain fare level, exit rows should be complimentary. If they have to nickel and dime you for $20 they are charging too little on the low end.

EVERY airline has issues--believe me--I am a 7 year Chairmans Preferred on US, and was the leading advocate for them until a year ago. I actually think that the FL model is what US aspires to but again, without the low costs. The difference is that despite the disappointment in the service and product, FL seems to be much more operationally together than US....
Art

I absolutly agree: no excuse for lack of service in business, regardless of length of flt. They should be able to serve 2 drinks each if we're being towed the 8 minutes from C concourse to the mx hangar.

I don't disagree with your point on assigning exit row seating. It used to be company policy, and maybe still is, that due to all the restrictions associated with exit row seating (15 yrs. old, willing and able to help, speak and understand English, be able to lift 35? lbs. or stay in the ring for 3 minutes with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin) that they wouldn't assign exit row seats until a person was physically at the gate, and the agt. could verify all of the above, except the "Stone Cold" thing.

With Jet A going for almost $4 now, I think the company's attitude is, "We got his money on the M fare, so if he wants more he'll have to pay more. If he doesn't, someone else will. We don't care if the extra $ comes in addition to his M fare, or from someone else with a lower or higher fare. $ is $."

I'm not saying I agree with that (I don't, until the company demands I take a pay cut, then I will :lol:), but airlines are looking for every penny they can get. I recently saw a SW ad spoofing an airline that was charging for everything, from opening the overhead bin and tray table, to buckling your seatbelt. That ad's getting to where it's more true than comical.

Citrus,

I can see how management might feel about the exit, but more often than not, the $20 will be collected from a MUCH lower class of fare, probably in the range of those where preassigned seats are not offered, so the overall revenue from THAT passenger remains significantly lower than from the one with the higher fare.

One issue I forgot to answer was regarding the blown altitude assumption--let me clarify--I am a pilot also and very familiar with 737 series climb and level off characteristics. This was a case where the aircraft was climbing, the engines abruptly cut back to idle, surged forward, and the aircraft actually nosed down and descended around 500 feet. It was an abrupt change, and very noticeable. It occurred right near the 15000 restriction on the LGA departure (first fix is either LANNA or BIGGY), and occurred in the neighborhood of EWR. I am by no means saying the crew erred, it is quite possible that ATC suddenly asked them to hold an altitude (happens frequently I believe). So please do not take it as a criticism of your bretheren, it was just an observation.

Citrus,

I can see how management might feel about the exit, but more often than not, the $20 will be collected from a MUCH lower class of fare, probably in the range of those where preassigned seats are not offered, so the overall revenue from THAT passenger remains significantly lower than from the one with the higher fare.

One issue I forgot to answer was regarding the blown altitude assumption--let me clarify--I am a pilot also and very familiar with 737 series climb and level off characteristics. This was a case where the aircraft was climbing, the engines abruptly cut back to idle, surged forward, and the aircraft actually nosed down and descended around 500 feet. It was an abrupt change, and very noticeable. It occurred right near the 15000 restriction on the LGA departure (first fix is either LANNA or BIGGY), and occurred in the neighborhood of EWR. I am by no means saying the crew erred, it is quite possible that ATC suddenly asked them to hold an altitude (happens frequently I believe). So please do not take it as a criticism of your bretheren, it was just an observation.
Art

Thanks for the clarification. I can assure you that I've never busted an altitude, although I know many pilots with inferior aviating skills who have. :rolleyes:

I agree with everything you said about exit row seating, but your opinions are from the consumer's point of view. You paid more for your non-exit row seat, and the guy who got the seat paid less. But from revenue management's point of view, once you and the other guy paid (different prices) for your seats, that game is over and we'll now start the next game of "Exit Row Seat of Fortune/Deal or No Deal". That flat rate for the exit row seat is the same to revenue mgmt., whether it comes from you or not. And, therein lies the problem: you as a consumer, are making a very convincing argument that customers who pay higher fares, are frequent flyers, etc. should be rewarded. Revenue mgmt.'s response is (ala Homer Simpson), "What's a frequent flyer...oooh, look at this pile of money...I love doughnuts, mmmmmmmmmm." Since customer loyalty, or lack thereof, isn't an official number that can be placed in a column in their ledger, they don't care. They say, "That customer loyalty crap is for those poor saps that work in customer service and the corporate accounts department". What they don't understand is that if they'd work with those "saps", their own job of managing and increasing revenue would be a lot easier.

Keeping our costs low and conserving as much fuel as possible is what we need.

p.s. If 1 gate agt. and 3 supervisors are ever found on C concourse, clubbed to death with a chicken leg or a large burrito from Moe's, ...well nevermind.
:up: :lol: I'd help if I could.... There are times I'm amazed at what they say and do in the gate areas. Especially ATL !!! Thank Gawd I haven't received the Email / Bulletin / Revised Employee Handbook / required Maintenance Read File and /or Water Cooler rumor about 'eating in the gate area'. Eating at Moe's is like being on the sidewalk watching the Boston Marathon (running in 5 different directions).... Popeye's you have to sit on someone's lap or be sat on... and Concourse D is like camping out.

I totally agree with your thoughts on the 'Innovative' thing. IMHO, That statement should read, Mostly motivated people dedicated and trying to deliver the best possible flying experience to smart travelers, 24/7. That is way more truthful but negative in the eyes of the policy makers, I'd bet. If anyone wants to get REALLY innovated, figure out how to communicate between departments, get and stay on the same page, chapter & book, company wide and steal a few Billion BBls of Jet A.

ps, and get that Lead F/A who thinks he's either Rodchester (sp?) from 'Amos & Andy' on that 50s TV show, or Walter Brennen to try and talk normal. I swear I thought he was gonna break out a Harp and start singing the Blues this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.