Management Layoffs Have Started

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sound more bitter that other people have transferrable skills.

Its a bad situation for everyone, have some couth.

I'm in sales and got laid off today. I don't think it was 250-300 people because there are barely that many people in all of sales! It was more like 20 to 30. It was more a of bloodbath than people were led to believe. I personally was shocked given outstanding reviews, key roles in MIDDLE management and friendly with a bunch of VPs.

Yes, they gave a year of flight benefits and I got an OKAY severance. But you know what? I'm not dejected at all EXCEPT I'd rather leave on my own not told to. That aside, I was a layer management they probably did not need in tough times even given my deep knowledge of my area, experience, analytical skills, negotitating talents, industry contacts and so on. The people making 20K or more less than me will figure it out..the work just won't be as good. I also lost staff too.

I'm glad to be gone. Never have to worry if that place will survive or not, because now I just don't care. Already have calls and possibilities so I'll have a soft landing sometime soon! Time to rest for awhile!

Sorry to those who were "let go." I started to say this is just the beginning. It is not. If you don't believe it, ask the mainline agents who were "let go" and had to "start over" as express agents. Doing the same job, at the same airport, with many of the same people.....just doing it for less money and less benefits.

Many more of such to follow.

SalesGuyCCY said:
I'm in sales and got laid off today.

I'm glad to be gone. Never have to worry if that place will survive or not, because now I just don't care.

Already have calls and possibilities so I'll have a soft landing sometime soon! Time to rest for awhile!
[post="178399"][/post]​

SalesGuy,

The backbone of commerce is sales, as sales drive the economy. Opportunity often comes through the face of adversity, we just dont see it until we are forced to look. Take your time, relax a bit as you review your options. I'm sure you'll make out better in the long run by this experience! I know many from AAA who have.

Best wishes from DENVER, CO

SalesguyCCY,

Sorry that you were laid off, but were you not a champion of having the employees take concessions and sacrifice?

700UW said:
SalesguyCCY,

Sorry that you were laid off, but were you not a champion of having the employees take concessions and sacrifice?
[post="178434"][/post]​
Yes, I was a "champion" of employees making concessions and sacrificing to ensure the company would survive. And, well, I got the utlimate sacrifice. I have nothing to complain about. I'll just look in from time to time and enjoy not being part of it. Its time to do something thats stable and has a bright future!

dont worry sales guy , talented people like you will survive, the ones who moan and whine and dont have any productivity will suffer.

Art's tagline and SalesGuy's demise are closely tied. As the legacy airlines slowly move away from traditional pricing structures to those that are more value oriented, Sales and many back off support functions will be eliminated at all legacy carriers. There is a huge amount of bureaucracy necessary to maintain the legacy structures of yesteryear. It is no longer economically possible to continue to maintain those structures while customers will no longer pay the premiums legacy fare structures are asking for.
AA in DFW, CO in parts of their hubs, and NW in both MSP and DTW are some of the last major hubs with a predominance of legacy fares. AA's fares at DFW will likely fall within 6 months as DL pulls out and leaves 20 plus gates at an airport with plenty of runway capacity serving one of the top 5 or so metro areas in the country. DL and UA already have lost pricing power in most of their key markets so, with US, are going to be far more supportive, if not lead, a nationwide elimination of the legacy fare structure.

airbiiguy said:
dont worry sales guy , talented people like you will survive, the ones who moan and whine and dont have any productivity will suffer.
[post="178442"][/post]​

For one, I don't moan, I tell it like it is, if you don't like it put me on ignore.

And when I am at work I give it my all, I am very productive, but unlike you, I stand up for myself and my coworkers and won't let management run all over us.

See unions are about doing what is best for all, not just one.

And the airlines have unions ever hear of the Air Transport Associaton (ATA)?

Yea Im sure you give it your all, I've watched for hours at a time how all you mainline people work. Frankly, I used to laugh my *** off with all my coworkers when we would sit and watch you rampers and gate agents work. Come to an express station and watch us work, we will run circles around you. All your unproductive attitudes are hurting the company. "thats not my job" is the one you hear the most. At express you dont hear that , cuz we did every job, for 1/3 the pay, mind you!!! Wake up from your dreamworld 700. It's going to be over soon! Theres a lot of young people who would love to do your job for 1/3 the amount that you are making , same goes for the pilots. Lots of young gusy who make 20k flyign a jet would love to make 58k flyign the same thing!!

SalesGuyCCY said:
I'm in sales and got laid off today. I don't think it was 250-300 people because there are barely that many people in all of sales! It was more like 20 to 30. It was more a of bloodbath than people were led to believe. I personally was shocked given outstanding reviews, key roles in MIDDLE management and friendly with a bunch of VPs.

Yes, they gave a year of flight benefits and I got an OKAY severance. But you know what? I'm not dejected at all EXCEPT I'd rather leave on my own not told to. That aside, I was a layer management they probably did not need in tough times even given my deep knowledge of my area, experience, analytical skills, negotitating talents, industry contacts and so on. The people making 20K or more less than me will figure it out..the work just won't be as good. I also lost staff too.

I'm glad to be gone. Never have to worry if that place will survive or not, because now I just don't care. Already have calls and possibilities so I'll have a soft landing sometime soon! Time to rest for awhile!
[post="178399"][/post]​

SalesguyCCY,

Hey, really sorry, man. I wish you and your family the very best.

You know many of us will join you. U management had proposed a
pprox a 30% reduction in all groups with these concessions. As soon as they get them, it will start.

If we are at 28,000 employees now...30% would equate to approx to 9,000 less, bringing the total of employees to operate this airline to 19,000.

Hanging tight on this ride,

PB

To think, before 9/11, we were a company of 47,000 employees.

airbiiguy said:
Yea Im sure you give it your all, I've watched for hours at a time how all you mainline people work. Frankly, I used to laugh my *** off with all my coworkers when we would sit and watch you rampers and gate agents work. Come to an express station and watch us work, we will run circles around you. All your unproductive attitudes are hurting the company. "thats not my job" is the one you hear the most. At express you dont hear that , cuz we did every job, for 1/3 the pay, mind you!!! Wake up from your dreamworld 700. It's going to be over soon! Theres a lot of young people who would love to do your job for 1/3 the amount that you are making , same goes for the pilots. Lots of young gusy who make 20k flyign a jet would love to make 58k flyign the same thing!!
[post="178467"][/post]​

Once again you have no idea of what you are talking about. I am not a ramper.

Sounds like you have mainline envy. And come to CLT and I will show you how hard every classification works.

Why don't you unload a full 757 from the west coast in 100 degree weather and then have to load it for a return trip. Bet you could not even last 5 minutes.

Or get in a Tyvek Suit in 100 degree weather and dump some lavs.

Or clean and security check a A330 in 55 minutes that has just come in from FRA and going back to FRA.

Or have to change an engine outside in the freezing rain.

Like I said, sounds like you have mainline envy.

Oh wait a minute, you said you were on furlogh, so I guess you have not been around to see how people work. Funny according to the DOL and OSHA, airline employees (ground workers) have the second highest rate of Occupational Injuries in the USA.

Oh can they get hurt if they are doing nothing as you say?

700UW said:
Once again you have no idea of what you are talking about. I am not a ramper.

Sounds like you have mainline envy. And come to CLT and I will show you how hard every classification works.

Why don't you unload a full 757 from the west coast in 100 degree weather and then have to load it for a return trip. Bet you could not even last 5 minutes.

Or get in a Tyvek Suit in 100 degree weather and dump some lavs.

Or clean and security check a A330 in 55 minutes that has just come in from FRA and going back to FRA.

Or have to change an engine outside in the freezing rain.

Like I said, sounds like you have mainline envy.

Oh wait a minute, you said you were on furlogh, so I guess you have not been around to see how people work. Funny according to the DOL and OSHA, airline employees (ground workers) have the second highest rate of Occupational Injuries in the USA.

Oh can they get hurt if they are doing nothing as you say?
[post="178481"][/post]​
Oh please. Cry us a river.

We know who you are and what you do so why don't you GDAT. You have shown who and what you really in the past 24 hours. I do believe you just might be about to get what is coming to you

Status
Not open for further replies.