Amended Pass Travel Policy

I agree with the new policies

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I haven't read the entire thread, nor am I a commuter. It seems to me that the company made the decision based upon the fact that there would come a point where a commuting employee would not get on a flight and a retiree would, thus causing some form of monetary damage to the company.

It seems to me that the company made the decision based upon the fact that there would come a point where a commuting employee would not get on a flight and a retiree would, thus causing some form of monetary damage to the company.

If commuters not getting on a flight is so important and could possibly lead to monetary damage then why don't we give them a higher priority? Do you realize that retirees are not the only ones who can bump a commuter? I know part-timers with 28 years of seniority.

If commuters not getting on a flight is so important and could possibly lead to monetary damage then why don't we give them a higher priority? Do you realize that retirees are not the only ones who can bump a commuter? I know part-timers with 28 years of seniority.

...and why shouldnt they be bumped??????

there is a song of days gone by that contained the following:
Dont pull on Superman's cape, dont spit into the wind, dont pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger, and you dont mess around with ... Management. (cause it aint gonna do no good) They are going to do what they want to do and there is nothing you can do about it. Except when asked where you work or did work, tell them in a nice way what you think of the company and it's management.

The "hometown" airline mentality is gone. HP was "family" friendly in the past. I really do hope before it's all said and done, they reconsider the nondep clause.

Dont expect ANYTHING to be reconsidered. Doug nixed giving retirees their status back and said it wont be reconsidered. I am so sick of hearing "fair" and "it's what every OTHER airline does." I had high hopes when I heard of the merger that things were going to improve and the best of both worlds would be the result. :(

Dont expect ANYTHING to be reconsidered. Doug nixed giving retirees their status back and said it wont be reconsidered.

I believe he said it "probably" won't be reconsidered. For most of us in the West, we haven't lost what the East HAD; pensions, higher wages, a large qty of retirees etc. etc. Someone reminded me the other day that when an airline is profitable "it's the best place to work, when it's not profitable it stinks. If you can't live with the ebb and flow of this industry find another profession." For the most part things have been relatively steady at West since the federal loan guarentee came through. We were profitable in 2003 and had a small loss for 2004. Relatively speaking as an airline we did more than hold our own. Don't kid yourself. DP was responsible for AWA surviving 911. True it was federal money that saved us, but DP was the first CEO to convince the board to give us the loan guarentee. No easy feat to convince the board that AWA was a good risk. Ask the other CEOs that got turned down. Had we not had good leadership during this time we would not have been around to merge with anyone. As for our new investors...who do you think convinced them that putting money into the merger would be a good thing? According to the financial analyst airline mergers are bad juju right? How in the world was over 2 billion dollars invested into our merger? Vision and great communication skills has to be the answer. Will it lead anywhere good? Are mistakes going to be made along the way? No doubt that some patience and some alka-seltzer will be needed for the bumpy ride along the way. It is what it is. Strap in or jump out. This is not "koolaide", but reality.

If you can't live with the ebb and flow of this industry find another profession."
For your information, many retirees did live with the "ebb and flow" and they help nurse this airline along to stay in business. If they had known that they were going to get a rotten deal when they retired then maybe they would have bailed long ago and maybe this airline would not be what it is.

Dont expect ANYTHING to be reconsidered. Doug nixed giving retirees their status back and said it wont be reconsidered. I am so sick of hearing "fair" and "it's what every OTHER airline does." I had high hopes when I heard of the merger that things were going to improve and the best of both worlds would be the result. :(

Did anyone stop to think that this might be a way to keep morale up of those still working? Those that have left dont have any input any more into how this place runs on a daily basis. Maybe he's just throwing those of us left a little bone? With all the junior HP people (even to those of us Easties still here) he just put them up a couple rungs on the nonrev ladder.

Maybe he's just throwing those of us left a little bone? With all the junior HP people (even to those of us Easties still here) he just put them up a couple rungs on the nonrev ladder.
This is true, but at whose expense? It was takien away from people whom he knew would have no way of doing anything about it.

Did anyone stop to think that this might be a way to keep morale up of those still working? Those that have left dont have any input any more into how this place runs on a daily basis. Maybe he's just throwing those of us left a little bone? With all the junior HP people (even to those of us Easties still here) he just put them up a couple rungs on the nonrev ladder.
Oh yes, I thought of this and I'm SURE that was the reason. No cost to them and the only people screwed have no voice anyway. Thanks for the 33 years but what have you done for me today?

HP employees are getting a big raise along with this "big airline" mentality.....

What pay raises are you talking about? Have you seen the US and HP Flight Attendant contracts and compared them?

Senior Flight Attendants at HP (11 years and up) makes the same payscale at US Airways.

The ones that don't make the same are 1 to 10 year Flight Attendants.
Sure..the company wants to give pay parity to 1-10 flight attendants, but at a cost.

They want to take two weeks of our vacation and move that money as pay raises. I don't think so! That's not a pay raise! That's moving money around.

Plus we get cancellation pay, 100% dead head pay (US only gets 1/2 a deadhead pay) etc. Our vacation is one of the best, our flight attendants top out at 35 vacation days (That's 157.50 vacation block hours) after 20 years, while US East gets 25.

Looking at US F/As vacation, they only get 7 days after 4 years while HP gets double that.

So....no, the flight attendants at HP (US West) has not been given a raise. I'm already topped out and if the company gives pay parity to 1-10 year flight attendants and take away two weeks of our vacation. The Flight Attendants at HP would get a decrease, not an increase.

Do the math my friend.

Plus we get cancellation pay, 100% dead head pay (US only gets 1/2 a deadhead pay) etc. Our vacation is one of the best, our flight attendants top out at 35 vacation days (That's 157.50 vacation block hours) after 20 years, while US East gets 25.

Looking at US F/As vacation, they only get 7 days after 4 years while HP gets double that.

While I wasn't a F/A, I knew a few and they had ways of bidding trips that turned 14 days of vacation into almost a month or so. It took some figuring but a buddy did it every year and got 2 months off. Someone with more experience could tell you how.