"master The Art Of Complaining"

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Saw this article, thought it was at least interesting.

Bad travel service ahead: 4 warning signs
If you're looking for textbook examples of terrible customer service, just talk to a few travelers.
Christopher Elliott

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary Day checked into room 315 at a Days Inn recently and requested a wake-up call at 6 a.m. The next morning, her phone rang. She got out of bed and checked out. Then she noticed that it was still dark outside. It turns out she'd received a call at 3:15 a.m.

Klaus Stoll, flying from Frankfurt, Germany, to Quito, Ecuador, discovered that KLM had seated him 10 rows away from his wife. The ticket agent insisted that there were no available seats together, and when he politely handed her his elite-level frequent-flier card and asked her to check again, she became indignant. "I don't understand these cards," she snapped, turning him away.

Isolated cases? If only. The travel industry is often synonymous with substandard customer service, many industry observers agree, for a variety of reasons.

Having a bad trip? Master the art of complaining

Salaries are low. Starting pay for a flight attendant is about $16,000 annually, and hotel clerks earn about $20,000 a year. Those are not exactly poverty-level incomes (according to the Census Bureau, pay would have to drop below $9,214 a year for that to be true), but it's difficult to motivate a workforce that's so thinly compensated. And then there's low morale: Given the recent airline bankruptcies, it is now very low, indeed.

In my role as National Geographic Traveler magazine's ombudsman, it's my job to help readers not only solve their travel problems, but also to prevent these awful trips from ever happening again.

The first part is usually easy: Fixing a trip is a matter of contacting the airline, hotel or car rental agency and asking it to address the grievance. The hard part is helping travelers stay out of trouble the next time. Bad customer service, which leads to most of the complaints I hear, is so widespread that the only certain way of preventing it is to stay home. But business travelers can't afford that luxury.

Here, then, are my four strategies for avoiding bad customer service:

The oblivious travel agent. Sharon Berman usually handles her own travel arrangements. But she decided to ask a friend's mother, who is a travel agent, to help her plan a recent trip to Europe. Big mistake. The agent made reservations without first checking with her, booking tickets that were both too expensive and inconvenient. When she called the agency to change her itinerary, she was transferred to the owner, who "proceeded to go psycho on me," Berman remembers. In the end, she flew on a flight she didn't want, sat in a seat she didn't ask for, didn't get her requested meal and landed vowing to think twice before using a travel agent again.
How to get around the problem: I receive a lot of complaints similar to Berman's about poor service by travel agents, and I often side with both the traveler and the agent. If you're using an agent for a simple point-to-point itinerary, you're wasting your time and asking for trouble. Agents no longer receive a commission from airlines, so they grudgingly book your ticket while trying to steer you to a hotel that offers a decent bonus for them. Next time, buy the flight online.

The inattentive flight attendant. Lois Schwartz scored an upgrade to first class on a Delta Air Lines flight from Madrid to Atlanta. She'd purchased an expensive leather jacket in Spain, which a flight attendant offered to hang in the coat rack for her. After landing, the crew member handed it back to the wrong passenger -- who apparently wanted to keep it. "I told the flight attendant that it was my coat and not [the other passenger's]," Schwartz recalls. "But she argued with me, never bothering to ask the passenger if that was actually his coat." After something of a standoff, Schwartz asked the pilot to intervene. The pilot did, and the coat was returned to Schwartz.
How to get around the problem: Sadly, the inattentive-flight-attendant story is all too common. Veteran frequent travelers can spot ill-trained crew members from far away: They're the ones who either aren't wearing name tags or who have them turned upside down so you can't read them. Basically, when a flight attendant gives you grief, you can expect the other crew members to support the attendant, no matter how out of line he or she is. You have to take your case to the pilot, and if that doesn't work, to a manager on the ground. If you aren't getting what you want, chances are you're asking the wrong person.

The cruel hotel clerk. "When I arrived at Ramada Inn Hollywood Beach, the hotel had my reservation. But when I was presented the room rate, it was $90 more than the rate I had confirmed," recalls Matt Turner. The cruel clerk didn't just refuse to honor the price he'd been offered on the Ramada Web site, she also wouldn't let him talk with a manager and promptly called security. He left the hotel and found a better room at a nearby Days Inn. "I've never had such a terrible experience while traveling," he says.
How to get around the problem: Just as you would look for a troublesome flight attendant (remember the missing or inverted name tag?), the experienced traveler knows how to spot a difficult hotel clerk. Watch how the employee interacts with others while you're standing in line. Does she make eye contact? Are his answers short? Does she appear impatient? Those are all telltale signs of a problem encounter in the making. Move into a different line if you can. Or just leave and check in later.

The out-of-control car rental agent. Jeff Weiner told a National rental agent that he'd bring back his rental car to Orlando International Airport with a full tank of gas. But the attendant thought he said "empty" and charged him for a full tank. So Weiner stood in a long line to clear up the misunderstanding. End of story? Nope. "When I got to the counter, the manager asked me how far I had driven since I filled the car up," he recalls. "I told her. She proceeded to chastise me, saying that I must have driven at least 30 miles from my hotel to the airport and that I still had to pay because the tank could not possibly be full." Never mind that the return agent indicated a full tank of gas on the invoice. The charges were later reversed after Weiner contacted the corporate office. But the car rental employee's actions had more serious consequences. Weiner complained to his employer, and the company eventually dumped National as its preferred car rental supplier.
How to get around the problem: Use the same techniques as you would to spot a difficult airline crew member or hotel employee. Appealing your case to a higher-up can help, but with managers' feet being held to the proverbial fire on profit goals nowadays, don't expect much. Looking back, Weiner should have gone directly to the corporate office and if that didn't work, appealed the charges on his credit card.

The travel industry is full of odd contrasts. It's a place where you can encounter abysmal customer service on one trip and excellent customer service the next one. Dealing with people who do their job well is easy: You tip them, you thank them, you tell your friends about them.

Good travel service does exist, and there are many in the industry who perform their jobs incredibly well. Unfortunately, too many others don't, which is why we need strategies like those above.

----------------------
back to Light Years:

I just have to comment on the flight attendant example. For starters, US Airways and most US carriers do not wear name tags, and if asked, for security reasons its wiser to give an employee number. Telling people to look for name tags or airport IDs is not a good idea particularly when crewmembers shouldnt be displaying these while inflight. Its absolutely absurd for this guy to tell people to look for crewmember identification. Secondly, telling customers to tattle on a flight crew to a gate agent or even gate agent supervisor is silly. The one has nothing to do with the other, as you'd think this self-appointed expert would know. Its like telling a childs neighbor's parents that he misbehaved. The best way to handle a customer service issue (like, getting the wrong coat handed back to you, I guess) would be a letter to Consumer Affairs.

And the wake-up call example- where is the bad service example? Did the customer set it themselves and wrongly, or did the hotel employee? If so, did the employee apologize, offer service recovery... or did they tell the lady what a dumbass she is if she cant look at the clock? We never find out in this article. Mistakes are not bad service, in fact mistakes are usually what result in good service.

I do like that he said F/As make $16,000 a year. Normally the public hears figures in the 40s and 50s, so maybe this rock bottom figure will inspire some sympathy (and its a real figure for Express and LCC F/As).

Where I work we give the customer a first name and tell them to identify the flight and date, which is enough for the company to identify us. Also, our name badges show our first names in enlarged and bold type, the last names are much smaller.

On my last 300 or so flights on US Airways mainline, I have had poor on-board service exactly once. A SEA-CLT A321 when the two FAs closed the front galley after an hour and did nothing for the customers for the remainder of the flight. This was an aberration. All other flights have been very good to outstanding.

I have had my share of delays and missed connections due to weather, mechanicals and crew availability. Calls from the local counter or reservations before I left for the airport have saved me hours of aggravation. Problems enroute have been handled well in the hub Clubs. There have only been two episodes of gate agents or club personnel giving me substantially incorrect information. That is great performance over an extended period of time.

Fortunately, I have not had to check any luggage during this time. :)

Maybe my expectations are lower than other travelers, but I don't think so. Many thanks to all the US Airways employees who continue to make my travels safe and pretty much on schedule. Keep up your good work.

Flight Attendants are one of the most stalked professions, aside from obvious security risks to sharing personal details about a crewmember. A flight number would suffice. The company can easily look at who worked the flight and what position.

Its not Burger King, where you get all ghetto and take names and ask for the supervisor because the fries are cold.

Mistakes are not bad service, in fact mistakes are usually what result in good service.

This is a very interesting point, also very true.

It has been seen in customer service surveys in the airline industry. For example, passengers whose flight was delayed, but who knew and understood the reason for the delay and observed that the delay was handled well by the airline staff, actually rate customer service HIGHER than passengers whose flight was never delayed in the first place. And, of course, passengers whose flight was delayed but they were given incomplete or inaccurate information about the delay and generally saw the airline botch the overall handling of the delay, rate customer service MUCH LOWER.

Moral of the story - customer service is not defined by how you handle situations that go well. Customer service is defined by how you handle situations that, for one reason or another, have gone awry.

Getting good service, also means being a good customer. Don't complain about having to wait on the phone only to put the agent on hold while you answer your call waiting. Don't take your portable phone into a lavatory. Listen carefully to phone menu prompts. If you select the wrong one, you could be in eternal transfer limbo. Write "it" down, don't keep asking for the information to be repeated until you have it memorized. Your customer service agent will try to help you, but they won't try very hard if you are chewing, crunching, smacking or screaming at the kids or spouse or roommate in the background.

I've been travelling all over the world for 20 years. I've had a few gate agents that were having a hectic day, but I wouldn't say they were rude. Often just a smile from me and a "tough day, huh?" is enough to get a smile from them. I've never been rudely treated by a FA, car rental agent, or hotel clerk.

There are a lot of rude, lousy, stupid travellers that treat travel workers like dirt, and it's almost ALWAYS THEIR OWN FAULT. They get a dirt cheap discount ticket and then plop their wide butts in a first class seat hoping no one will know, then get mad when they have to move. Or, like the couple that came running to the gate just as the door was being closed and about 10 minutes after closeout . . . . and then got rude and demanded to be let on the airplane and then get indignant that they can't. Well, turns out I heard them talking to each other and they were sitting in a restarant and lost track of time. No sympathy, but they'll tell everyone that they were on time and the rude gate agent wouldn't let them on out of spite.

The real reasons that travellers have problems is not travel workers, it's the travel industry executives and the policies that they give the employees to hold out to the public.

Or why isn't there food or blankets and pillows for every passenger? They'll blame the FAs, when the FAs have absolutely NO control over the decisions that the airline executive make policy wise. Or blame the pilots because the plane takes off late even though the airline execs and airport authorities KNOW they can't handle the number of flights during that period of time.

It's airline executive that make the decisions to cram 50 people into a little POS RJ for a 2.5 hour flight. It's the airline executives that can't staff and schedule their people properly. It's the airline executives that overwork the gate agents. And it's the employees that pull the airline through despite the stupidity and incompetence of many airline execs.

If I have a complaint, I NEVER complain to an employee . . . only to a manager, because that's were the problem usually lies.

Winglet,

Thank you. In my experience, very few FF's create scenes. Yes, everyone has a bad day from time to time that might result in a snide crack or snippy attitude. Most professional employees recognize that and let it go. In fact, I've had apologies from customers who started off on their worst foot with me. Just maintaining a respectful poise and a show of empathy is enough to turn them around.

I agree the airline industry is responsible for its own woes for the most part. It never adapted to deregulation. It created a complicated fare structure few can understand. It came up with confusing rules like "Saturday Night Stay Required" and fine print only a legal eagle could fully grasp.

Did anyone happen to see a little petition that's going around wanting the government to regulate the amount of leg room to combat Deep Vein Thrombosis? While DVT is certainly a horrible thing, can you imagine the government stepping into the fray?

Bottom line, I suppose once again is what are people willing to pay for.

I'd sure hate to be an airline executive about now.

I know I wouldn't want anyone to dye their hair canary yellow.

Dea

bookmdano said:
Getting good service, also means being a good customer. Don't complain about having to wait on the phone only to put the agent on hold while you answer your call waiting. Don't take your portable phone into a lavatory. Listen carefully to phone menu prompts. If you select the wrong one, you could be in eternal transfer limbo. Write "it" down, don't keep asking for the information to be repeated until you have it memorized. Your customer service agent will try to help you, but they won't try very hard if you are chewing, crunching, smacking or screaming at the kids or spouse or roommate in the background.
Oh My Gawd! You were listening to my calls tonight weren't you.

I certainly don't advocate poor customer service, but sometimes I want to ask if people have rocks for brains. For instance, those who would lead you to believe that we arbitrarily booked them for the wrong travel date even though they booked through Expedia. Or how's this for an example? Someone in Texas calls to find out their loved one is on a delayed flight from PHL. They scream and rave when you tell them it's delayed and call you a liar when you say it's due to weather. Why do they call you a liar? Because it's not raining in Texas.

A smile goes a long way. A calm approach to a difficult situation makes it easier for both the customer and the employee to work through it.

If I were a customer service representitive I would be thrilled and honored if my customers could recognize "good service, above and beyond my companies minimum expectations for my employment". Today, I stopped by the Costco customer service desk and filled out the consumer report form. I wrote "The guys you have working the gas pumps are thee most charming, delightful gentlemen I have encountered in years!" (these guys don't work the pumps, they work the customers and they are good"). I was on a roll today, because after leaving Costco I had to go to Home Depot. I bought a part to my weedwhacker that was the wrong part. I was greeted by Tom who saw my problem, tried to fix my problem. The company did not stock the right parts, so I bought the part at another home improvement store. I took the part to Tom and he installed it for me, he wouldn't take a tip and he gave up his lunch break to help me. I RAN to the supervisor to tell her that people like Tom are the reason that that company will get my business for future transactions. I will always buy from HD before Lowering myself. I guess I'd better turn my attention back to the airlines.
Book what you want, buy what you booked, travel what you bought and your New Dehli call center will be able to reconfirm your purchase. Beyond that, you'd better call home ET.