Mechanic''s retro pay

kcabpilot

Senior
Aug 22, 2002
Now that the new term sheet for the Mechanics is out I have just one simple question:
Since the company owes the Mechanics retro pay from July 2000 to March 2002 why have those funds not been put on the table as a possible choice for payment of the Mechanics "contribution"?
Does anyone still believe that the company EVER intended to pay a dime of that retro money?

----------------
On 8/29/2002 3:43:04 PM

Since the company owes the Mechanics retro pay from July 2000 to March 2002 why have those funds not been put on the table as a possible choice for payment of the Mechanics "contribution"?

Does anyone still believe that the company EVER intended to pay a dime of that retro money?
----------------

The company said they want X amount of money each year for six years. The specifically state that you can negotiate differant ways to pay, just not the sum. I'm sure if you're willing to give up retro (which you may or may not lose in BK), there is no doubt in my mind that the company would be more than happy to deal.

The IAM negotiated retro pay deferral in return for the pink slips they now hold on WHQ, DENTK, and that flea bag hotel in HNL. Pehaps the IAM planned to use the retro pay as a bargaining chip at a later date? That strategy has apparently backfired, UA is seeking further wage/benefit concessions in addition to retro pay deferral. The never ending quest for power by the IAM (Buffy/Peterpaul) has brought two more airlines to the brink of demise. EAL, Braniff and TWA are other tombstones in the IAM graveyard[:(]

Keep in mind that this is latest company offer. Of course it's going to include their ultimate wish list. Now the IAM needs to counter-offer. Then both sides can get down to serious negotiating and hammer out a mutually acceptable agreement within the next two weeks. However, if both go at their usual snail's pace and instead resort to Major League Baseball-esque public posturing and an endless salvo of press releases, than we might as well have Scotty beam us to bankruptcy court now.

UAL777,

I am saddened to realize there is absoulutely nothing we could do as employees that will prevent this MGT team from taking us into BK. We could all work for free for 6 years and they would still file BK. They want the employees off the board and they have made bedfellows with President Bush to ensure that if they can rewrite the history books on Airline Labor he will allow them to merger with USair. I have seen this before but this is in someways even more criminal than what happened at Eastern with the full endorsent of Bush SR. There is a definitive collusional conspiracy being orchestrated by the President, ATA, and Airline CEO's. Believe.

Post deleted by moderator

Moderator's note: mastermechanic, if your posts contain nothing but inflammatory personal attacks, they will continue to be deleted.

----------------
On 8/29/2002 8:45:12 PM

Keep in mind that this is latest company offer. Of course it's going to include their ultimate wish list. Now the IAM needs to counter-offer
----------------

UAL777flyer:

These are not offers, they are demands. This stuff was not negotiated it was simply handed to the unions. Top management may be a group of dolts but they do know that there is absolutely no chance of this stuff getting ratified. Their plan is very clear now, they are taking us into bk and intend to try and abrogate all of our labor contracts. Our only blessing is that this management team has never succeeded in any endeavor they have undertaken.

As for the Mechanics retro pay? There was never any intention of paying a single dime of it. That, if nothing else, should be perfectly clear to everyone now. It should also give everyone a clear picture of the type of people we are dealing with here.

Ual 24 I agree how about this for proof this is from the AFA page and it details there meeting with management yesterday, look at who they hired for the companys bankruptcy lawyers "The company has hired Jack Gallagher, attorney for Phil Hastings, Janofski, and Walker, a known union buster from the days of Frank Lorenzo and Eastern Airlines, to assist them during this process" further proof here are old buddy MR Kain still is working for UAL and check this out "Concern was expressed that management would get these concessions and still file for bankruptcy. Pete Kain hoped that was not the case" Hoped err huh [:)]