Medical Insurance

2BorNot2B

With all the negative posters here, and folks wanting to "shut it down", are there any intelligent individuals that have researched and found an answer to the fact that Medical Insurance Coverage is about to end for each and everyone? The lowest quote I can find is in the $800/mo catagory. Has anyone found an affordable solution?

2B

Per the PBGC, anyone who is receiving a benefit from them qualifies for a 65% tax credit on the health insurance premium. Must be age 55 or older and not qualified for Medicare or Medicaid. You can apply for an advance tax credit or just claim the credit when you file.

Jim

Boeingboy,
can you tell us where we could find out information on the tax credit
in regards to PBGC. Is it on their web site? I am sure the tax CPA will need
the information . We kept my wife's medical insurance, retiring 1 year ago thinking U would do this some day. She retired also, and her co. allowed her to keep the insurance if we paid the cost. It's $1,100.00 a mo. The tax credit would help if U does this to us. Thanks for the help!

The tax credit is part of the Internal Revenue Service Code. As stated above
it is only available to someone over age 55 who has had their pension plan
terminated to the pbgc.

2BorNot2B said:
With all the negative posters here, and folks wanting to "shut it down", 2B
[post="172865"][/post]​
2B I cant give you an answer to your medical question but I dont think anyone here wants to shut this airline down, I think most have come to the point where they just cant afford to give anymore especially knowing that theyve given so much already. Besdes Management wouldnt be happy if we were to give to them again.... they would just want more.

Just my 2 cents

Tug

Allegheny 1,
Thanks for the help.. Some of us are still below that "65". age. I located
all the information in regards to the tax write-off. If you go to the IRS web site and type in HCTC in the search box. It all come up. Also form 8885.
Hopefully if it ever comes down to this problem , the unions will inform its member retirees about this. Boeingboy could of saved many retirees alot of money. At least we can apply for the tax relief. Who knows? And by the way- Allegheny 1 . With that name. Does it mean you were with the original
Allegheny. If so, wern't those the "good ole days" ! Miss those days!

Guys & Gals,

The ALPA site has the presentation that the PBGC gave in their roadshows for the pilots. I'd love to attach them so everyone could see the info - it's general info for the most part and might be of interest to those of you in DB plans that could/would be terminated in a Chapter 11/7 proceding.

However, they are 11 Mb each (2 pdf files) and I don't think there's any way to attach files that large. If anyone knows of a way, let me know.

Unfortunately, a link won't work because it's in the members-only section of the ALPA site.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

Not every member here is a pilot, who had their DB plan transferred to the PGBC and is over 55. I don't think that this was the answer that 2B wanted. How about the younger employee with a family who needs some advice on where to get the cheapest coverage?

Dark Cloud said:
Allegheny 1,
Thanks for the help.. Some of us are still below that "65". age. I located
all the information in regards to the tax write-off. If you go to the IRS web site and type in HCTC in the search box. It all come up. Also form 8885.
Hopefully if it ever comes down to this problem , the unions will inform its member retirees about this. Boeingboy could of saved many retirees alot of money. At least we can apply for the tax relief. Who knows? And by the way- Allegheny 1 . With that name. Does it mean you were with the original
Allegheny. If so, wern't those the "good ole days" ! Miss those days!
[post="172896"][/post]​

It does.

Miss the old days....you bet. Want to go to key west...buy a couple of cv580 s
and go into business.

best of luck to you

flyin2low,

I know the info I provided won't help everyone. I merely provided it for those who still have a DB plan that could be terminated in another BK, or would be terminated in a liquidation.

For those in this situation, it is something to keep in mind should the need arise. Even those younger than 55 who have their pension taken over by the PBGC will reach that age at some point and this could be useful.

For others, I can only wish them the best since I have no better information to supply.

Jim

2BorNot2B said:
With all the negative posters here, and folks wanting to "shut it down", are there any intelligent individuals that have researched and found an answer to the fact that Medical Insurance Coverage is about to end for each and everyone? The lowest quote I can find is in the $800/mo catagory. Has anyone found an affordable solution?

2B
[post="172865"][/post]​

When I took voluntary furlough 2 years ago my family was on Cobra to tide us over until we got private insurance. Cobra was close to $1,000 a month for family coverage. We got private insurance thru PHCS Private HealthCare Systems. It is close to $600 per month with high deductibles and does not even cover some preexisiting condtions such as Hypertension. There is no such thing as cheap private insurance. That I personally have found anyway. Good luck.

Does USAIR pay our health insurance on a monthly basis?
In the event UAIR shuts down entirely (hypothetically speaking September 15th)
Is our current health insurance paid until the end of the September?

zonecontroller,

I can certainly be corrected by someone else who knows for sure, buy my impression is that U self-insures. Someone else handles the paperwork (BCBS of SC in my case) but I think the bills are paid by the company.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
zonecontroller,

I can certainly be corrected by someone else who knows for sure, buy my impression is that U self-insures. Someone else handles the paperwork (BCBS of SC in my case) but I think the bills are paid by the company.

Jim
[post="172977"][/post]​
We are self insured with BCBS of SC handling the claims. I too have wondered what would happen to outstanding medical claims if the company shut the door.

Thanks, noname.

I suspect those claims would end up with all the others (unsecured, of course) to be paid from whatever funds were available. And somehow I doubt the doctors, hospitals, druggests, etc. would want to be the one's holding the claim.

For those with flex-spending accounts (also self-funded by U, I think), just another reason to file those claims promptly.

Jim

[Edit]

I know that the flex-spending is employee funded by money withheld from pay, but the claims don't get paid till the company releases the money. What I don't know is what would happen if we shut down. From my perspective, it just doesn't seem smart to be holding a lot of flex-spending claims. Jim

Back