Mec Code-a-phone Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - October 17, 2004

This is MEC Chairman Bill Pollock with a US Airways MEC update for Sunday, October 17th, with three new items.

Item 1. I have recorded a Chairman’s message to the pilots and also am sending a Chairman’s letter to all pilots on the LOA 93 TA. In my recorded message to the pilots, I explain what Judge Mitchell’s decision to rule in favor of the Company’s 1113(e) filing means to the pilot group. ALPA successfully negotiated a “wait and see†agreement with the Company on the implementation of the 1113(e) provisions. If the TA is voted up on October 21st, then the terms of the TA would retroactively supercede the terms of the interim relief granted by the Court, meaning that ALPA would incur an 18 percent pay reduction as per the terms of the TA. If the membership chooses to vote down the TA, the reduction would be the court-imposed 21 percent reduction.

My Chairman’s letter answers some of the important questions that pilots have been asking at the road shows about the LOA, including the 1113(e) and 1113© processes versus the implementation of the TA. Some pilots believe that a better deal is possible to achieve if the TA is voted down. There is no basis to believe that the Negotiating Committee can get us a better deal if the TA is voted down. The Committee recently told the MEC that this TA is the best agreement that they could achieve.

I encourage all pilots to read and to listen to both of these important communications. You can listen to the Chairman’s message to the pilots by calling the code-a-phone number at 800-FOR-ALPA, or 800-367-2572, and then pressing

2. It is also posted on the US Airways public and pilots only home page at www.usairwayspilots.org.

The Chairman’s letter is posted on the pilots only website and will be emailed to all pilots whose email addresses are on file with ALPA.

As a reminder, internet and telephone voting ends on Thursday, Oct. 21 at 10 a.m. If you did not receive balloting materials or cannot get into the balloting system, be sure to call Membership Services at 888-FLY-ALPA.

Item 2. The MEC convened its regular third quarter MEC meeting at the Westin Diplomat Hotel in Hollywood, Florida yesterday and over the past two days have received reports from the MEC Chairman, the MEC Vice Chairman, Grievance Committee and BOD Steering Committee. They took action on several agenda items, including passing the MDA Pay and Scheduling MOU, to be incorporated into the MDA contract. This MOU is posted on the pilots only website.

The MEC also voted to poll the pilots on the issue of continuing the assessment for medical insurance premiums for furloughees at a maximum level based upon the present levels ($30 for Mainline Captains and $20 for Mainline First Officers). Based on the results of the pilots’ vote, the assessments will be discontinued or continued under the new coverage level guidelines. If the pilots vote to support continuing the assessment, additional guidelines will establish limiting coverage to the 80% medical plan option, with 10% of that premium paid by the furloughees. Additionally, furloughee contributions will be increased above their 10% responsibility if there is inadequate funding with the new maximum assessment levels. If the pilots vote to support the continuing assessment, the MEC continues an annual review of this assessment.

The MEC then spent the rest of today preparing for ALPA’s 40th Regular Board of Directors Meeting, which will convene tomorrow, Monday, October 18 at the Westin Diplomat Hotel. The MEC will reconvene its third quarter meeting this week, concurrent with the Board of Directors Meeting, to consider and take action on issues as necessary.

Item 3. I am aware of attempts of some individuals to engage in a campaign to discredit LOA 93. These individuals are asking you to vote no on the TA. Their literature is riddled with inaccuracies and misleading statements. The blatant inaccurate posting of an alleged aircraft sale is just one example of how some will not allow the facts and the truth to get in their way. As I have told you before, you have more than earned the right to cast a vote on LOA 93. We have gone to great lengths to make sure you are equipped with all the facts in making your decision. But the vote is yours alone. You may want to ask these individuals attempting to smear the ratification process if there are any self interests behind their efforts. You may also want to ask the authors their feelings about our union and its future at US Airways. I am confident that our pilots will recognize their transparent motives and will cast a vote based on an analysis of the facts and a realization of the consequences of that decision.

Please remember we have 1,879 pilots on furlough.

Thank you for listening.

Latest posts