Merger Anniversary

wings396

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
As many of us here recall, today marks the 14th anniversary of the PI/US Merger. I would just like to reflect on how far we have fallen since that fateful day back in 1989. At that time the combined airlines had a fleet of 454 Aircraft…….Today we are barely clinging on to 279. We have closed 3 of the former PI hubs, those being BWI, SYR and DAY. Sad to say that DAY no longer has Mainline status, and BWI has been handed over to SWA. And we all know that the PIT Hub that was once the backbone of the US system, is fading fast. EWR was once a very large station that had a lot of point to point flying for both carries with near 70 mainline departures, is down to a mere 11 flights. CO now is king of many of those former routes that we served. Our dominance in ORF, RIC, GSO, RDU and BUF along with others that I can’t recall is gone. Also gone is the Interstate Florida Shuttle, now pretty much done by SWA. We have closed roughly 25 mainline stations, and opened nothing new in the continental US in the past 10 years. Our marketing department if you can call it that, is and has been non existent. Add to this list the Reservations centers and Maintainence bases that have gone by the wayside as well.
All of this points to the lackluster Management that we have had over the past 14 years. I believe that we have only had 2 profitable years during this timeframe, those being 1996/97. I know that all is said and done, but one must still wonder how 2 prosperous and profitable airlines were merged to create this albatross of an airline. Granted some consolidation after the merger was warranted, but not as much as we have seen take place. After the merger this airline never has been able to grasp the concept of defending their turf from the competition, and to this day they still don’t. Delta has invaded many of our once dominant NE stations as well as others. Case in point is Delta overtaking US for the first time in ORF. We are retreating with the RJ’s, and they are bringing in the 757’s. SWA and AirTran continue to eat us for lunch with Jet Blue on the rise. We can only run for so long until all is gone. On top of all of this, there is also the squandered
PSA merger, which is another story all together. Fear not, the RJ’s are going to fix everything and save us from all of these blunders of the past 14 years………………

Here Here

This management thinks employees are the problem while they give
themselves bonus money to retain the "talent".

How have we survived this long?
8.gif

"..Delta has invaded many of our once dominant NE stations as well as others.."

A friend from the industry commented that when US took over PI back at merger time that most of Delta's prayers had been answered
2.gif

Yes, Yes Wings I agree with your whole post....
however its nice to see we've opened
ams,fco.lhr,fra,snn,dub,mad,cdg

sxm,aua,stt,stx,bda,nas,
...and whole lot I've forgotten...

Not LHR, LGW and PI all ready flew the route from CLT and BWI and PI had plans to start FRA and US said no.

----------------
On 8/5/2003 8:02:49 AM wings396 wrote:

clinging on to 279. We have closed 3 of the former Our dominance in ORF, RIC, . We have closed roughly 25 mainline stations, and opened nothing new in the continental US in the past 10 years. Our ----------------​

Actually, the number of mainline stations closed since '89
is higher than that, especially the if the former PSA is included.
Does anyone have an exact number....

DAB, APF, EYW, CHO, LYH, CRW, HTS, CHS, UCA, CHA,
TYS, TRI, BNA (still mainline??), MOB, MEM, MKE MSN, OMA,
STL, LEX, SDF, SAT, AUS, AGS, ISO, OAJ, AVL, YUL, YOW, BHM,
FNT, DAY, GRR, TOL, SBN, EVV, CVG, BTV, ELM, and ITH come to mind. I know I missed some.

Out west...BLI PDX (EUG, MFR, bit the dust in 88 I think), PSC, OAK, SJC (twice), MRY, SCK, FAT, RNO, ONT, BUR, LGB,
TUS, ABQ....I'm sure I missed some other former PSA cities.

----------------
On 8/5/2003 6:05:01 PM taylor01 wrote:

Yes, Yes Wings I agree with your whole post....
however its nice to see we've opened
ams,fco.lhr,fra,snn,dub,mad,cdg

sxm,aua,stt,stx,bda,nas,
...and whole lot I've forgotten...

----------------​
Yes that is true, however it has not done anything for employment opportunities. From what I know most if not all of the work in these stations is contracted out to Vendors and/or OA. I failed to post how many thousands the workforce has shrunk in the past 14 years as well. Other Airlines have grown their domestic operation along with international. I don't have to tell you what has happend to our domestic system. I was tempted to try to list all of the stations that we have closed, but I know that I can't recall all of them without an old timetable...Maybe 25 is on the conservative side.

Some others from the Aug 5th, 1989 timetable....
SMF/ CCR/ PSP/ ICT/ LAN/ AZO/ CMI/ TLH/ GNV/ MLB/ CAK/ ROA/ ISP/ ERI/ ABE/ ACY
BGM/ MDW/ CLE/ CAE/ GSP/ SNA/ PHF/ JFK/ FWA/ AVP/ ORH

and some Express cities
MCN/ LAF/ BQK/ DAN/ DEC/ GON/ YHM/ HKY/ RWI/ YNG/ INT with others I'm sure, but I dont feel like looking to see if we still fly there....... plus many others along the way that were tried and didnt last......

----------------
On 8/5/2003 9:22:44 PM tadjr wrote:

and some Express cities
MCN/ LAF/ BQK/ DAN/ DEC/ GON/ YHM/ HKY/ RWI/ YNG/ INT with others I'm sure, but I dont feel like looking to see if we still fly there....... plus many others along the way that were tried and didnt last......

----------------​
My favorite Express station was left off SOP That was a victim of MESA taking over CCAir....SOP was an origional station , serviced by a real airline at one time (PI)

----------------
On 8/5/2003 4:55:25 PM a320av8r wrote:

www.jetpiedmont.com

----------------​

Thanks for a trip down memory lane. Never knew the site existed.

L4P

If Ed Colodny were still in charge, we'd be in much
better shape. When he retired, that's when the decline started.
9.gif

Let us not forget another city Usairways is feeding to the other fly by night companies.

ABE......SEPT 7TH IS LAST DAY FOR MAINLINE FLYING.

This station was boarding 20,000 passengers a month and we are giving it up to rj flying.

Also,good employees are going to have to work for nothing....

A 40% paycut.......

Thanks DAVE SIEGEL.........SLEEP WELL.......

----------------
On 8/5/2003 9:22:44 PM tadjr wrote:

and some Express cities

Let me get this straight....in order to run an airline you need to fly to other cities!!
9.gif
14.gif

Latest posts