Pit Only Markets - Closings

dfw79

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Toledo ground crews informed this morning that they no longer have a job. Amazing what happens to a station that in its prime had flights to PIT, DAY, and IND...with mainline going to PIT and DAY (shortly after the Piedmont merger). Ever since they yanked mainline (which for years had 734s, MD80s and 727s...then finally F-100s in 2001) and then yanked the RJs to PIT and then left the TOL market to the Shuttle Saabs - people have just fled from the once dominant (in the local market) airline. A sad sad day.

Any word out of FWA yet?

dfw79 said:
Toledo ground crews informed this morning that they no longer have a job. Amazing what happens to a station that in its prime had flights to PIT, DAY, and IND...with mainline going to PIT and DAY (shortly after the Piedmont merger). Ever since they yanked mainline (which for years had 734s, MD80s and 727s...then finally F-100s in 2001) and then yanked the RJs to PIT and then left the TOL market to the Shuttle Saabs - people have just fled from the once dominant (in the local market) airline. A sad sad day.

Any word out of FWA yet?
when does this sad situation take effect? I wonder if they will keep the PIT-ABE flts as they do very well?

I very much doubt you will see ABE-PIT continue. What you should expect to see is increased lift to CLT, PHL and possibly DCA along with other point to point service that may prove profitable. Does UA serve ABE-ORD? That would be a great route for MAA, feeding UA's ops in ORD. Also, take a look at the DOT traffic info for ABE. US may provide point to point service (at least a morning departure) to those destinations that generate the most traffic each day. People in the ABE area wanting to go to PIT will most surely want to drive, and with PIT no longer being a connecting hub the way it is now I wouldn't expect much if any lift to continue to PIT from ABE.

Toledo's last day is Sept 7th. Station employed around 20-25 PSA agents...3 or 4 remained from the mainline days and all carry over 15 years with the company. Definitely a pity US Airways decided not to serve two of Toledo top 20 destinations (PHL and CLT). Oh well...what can you do. Delta will definitely not have an issue accepting the 10% market share of the Toledo market to go along with their 35% share they have already. (from http://www.flytoledo.com)

robbedagain said:
when does this sad situation take effect? I wonder if they will keep the PIT-ABE flts as they do very well?
Do the ABE-PIT flights do well with local passengers, or are they connecting to/from other destinations? If service out of PIT to major destinations is cut, I would like to see more ABE-CLT flights. This could result in shorter travel time between ABE and Florida destinations.

If US Airways were brave, they could try ABE to MCO and ABE to TPA and probably get back passengers who now fly Southeast to SFB and PIE. Marketing such flights as both US and UA might fill the planes.

USFlyer said:
I very much doubt you will see ABE-PIT continue. What you should expect to see is increased lift to CLT, PHL and possibly DCA along with other point to point service that may prove profitable. Does UA serve ABE-ORD? That would be a great route for MAA, feeding UA's ops in ORD. Also, take a look at the DOT traffic info for ABE. US may provide point to point service (at least a morning departure) to those destinations that generate the most traffic each day. People in the ABE area wanting to go to PIT will most surely want to drive, and with PIT no longer being a connecting hub the way it is now I wouldn't expect much if any lift to continue to PIT from ABE.
Drive ABE to PIT? Highly unlikely. ABE is well over 4 to 5 hours if driven. Maybe you mean driive ABE to PHL.

rvolkcpa said:
Do the ABE-PIT flights do well with local passengers, or are they connecting to/from other destinations?
In 2003, there were about 7,000 pax each way, or about 20/day. Enough for one small prop per day, which is probably not going to be frequent enough to draw many of those pax. They'd most likely drive to PHL instead.

Well lets see if i can finish my thought before a pop up shows up
on this web site asking me if i want to buy a ticket.

ABE-PIT has alot of connecting passengers and there is also

enough passengers to fly the route abe to pit.

You will never see non stop service to MCO or TPA.

USAIRWAYS ran the mco route and they said it never made money so out it went.
With the ceap fares it doesn't pay,so it is better to have passengers connect in
PHL or CLT.

ABE is a GREAT CITY TO fly out of.

KEEP IT OPEN....KEEP THE PLANES COMING INTO ABE.

GREAT EMPLOYEES THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

AKA_trvlr64 said:
Drive ABE to PIT? Highly unlikely. ABE is well over 4 to 5 hours if driven. Maybe you mean driive ABE to PHL.
Mapquest estimates ABE-PIT drive in 4:45.

Mapquest estimates ABE-PHL drive in 1:30.
I estimate 1:30 min, 2:30 max for parking, check-in, and security
Flight time from PHL to PIT is about 1:10
Exit airport and drive into Pittsburgh 0:45

Thus driving to PHL to fly to PIT, takes 4:55 to 5:55... Longer (and more expensive most likely) than just driving to PIT... I'll bet many of those 20 pax/day drive when/if service is cancelled.

(BTW, I rounded mapquest times up)

dfw79 said:
Toledo's last day is Sept 7th. Station employed around 20-25 PSA agents...3 or 4 remained from the mainline days and all carry over 15 years with the company. Definitely a pity US Airways decided not to serve two of Toledo top 20 destinations (PHL and CLT). Oh well...what can you do. Delta will definitely not have an issue accepting the 10% market share of the Toledo market to go along with their 35% share they have already. (from http://www.flytoledo.com)
Very sad that they pulled out. I used to fly into TOL quite a bit when it was mainline and there were some great employees there.

this is what happens when you have no help from who runs the airport and shuttle america which is by far worse than mesa.good luck to everyone at TOL. Excellent group of workers.

USFlyer said:
yes ua does have 4 or 5 rj service to ord and what i dont understand is why would they discontinue the pit abe flts when it is always heavy if not a full boat load?

funguy2 said:
Mapquest estimates ABE-PIT drive in 4:45.

Mapquest estimates ABE-PHL drive in 1:30.
I estimate 1:30 min, 2:30 max for parking, check-in, and security
Flight time from PHL to PIT is about 1:10
Exit airport and drive into Pittsburgh 0:45

Thus driving to PHL to fly to PIT, takes 4:55 to 5:55... Longer (and more expensive most likely) than just driving to PIT... I'll bet many of those 20 pax/day drive when/if service is cancelled.

(BTW, I rounded mapquest times up)
its a 5 hr car trip to pit from abe. i can also say that a drive from abe to phl can take 45 minutes to 1:30 depending on traffic. the local traffic is also good load as well as the connections. if a flt does cancel from abe to pit the pax are put on either the phl or pit flts next.

US will only continue ABE-PIT if there is enough NON-CONNECTING traffic to support the flight. Otherwise, US should route folks thru PHL, DCA, BOS and/or CLT for east coast connections and via ORD (via UA Express) for other connections. However, all of this depends on how much US wants to keep PIT a connecting "focus city". We need to see the schedule before we'll know more.

Latest posts