Mesa and Midway - last minute deal

Jump for joy Chip!

Has the mainline pilot group taken a poll of the pilots that went to Mesa under the J4J agreement to determine their level of satisfaction?

Are they ready to hang themselves yet?

PropPiedmont said:
When will Mesa just buy US Air and end the chaos?
.....as I have pointed out numerous times before....Don't think for a minute that this is not J.O.'s ultimate goal in life. I happen to believe that he sees this as his self-validating move in life.....a Major is what he seeks to own and run.

Johnny O is trying a hostile buy-out of ACA as of now....look to U being his next target in the not so distant future. He does indeed have a few million reasons to settle a blimish in his record in regards to heavy investments in U.

Me thinks this articile is slanted by author's opinion...

Thursday, December 11, 2003 10:22AM EST

Mesa dives in, buys Midway assets
Wexford Capital, which had expected to get Midway's assets, chose not to raise its bid

By DUDLEY PRICE, Staff Writer

RALEIGH -- A surprise last-minute bid Wednesday allowed Mesa Air Group, one of the nation's largest regional airlines, to win the assets of Midway Airlines in a bankruptcy court auction.
Mesa expects to hire some former Midway workers and could begin flying out of Raleigh-Durham International Airport as soon as January. But Mesa President Michael Lotz said after the hearing that no decisions had been made.

Connecticut-based Wexford Capital, which bailed out Midway with a loan two years ago, bid $8.6 million last month for Midway's operating certificate and eight regional jetliners.

But Wednesday, Phoenix-based Mesa, a publicly traded company, topped the offer with a $9.15 million bid. After nearly an hour of deliberation, Wexford's representatives decided not to offer more.

A. Thomas Small, the federal bankruptcy judge, approved the sale to Mesa. He denied an objection from Midway's pilots union, which argued their existing labor contracts should be included.

Wexford had offered to rehire as many former Midway employees as possible and to keep Midway's former headquarters and a warehouse in Morrisville. Wexford planned to operate the airline as a feeder carrier for US Airways, as Midway, once the Triangle's busiest airline, did before it was ordered liquidated on Oct. 30.

Wexford also offered Robert Ferguson, the former Midway president and CEO, the same job titles at the new airline, which it planned to name Ascent Airlines.

Mesa will also assume the 20-month lease on Midway's former offices and has agreed to hire as many former Midway managers, pilots, flight attendants and ramp workers as possible.

"It would make great economic sense to do that because they are trained on the aircraft," Mesa consultant Edward Wegel testified Wednesday. The purchase involves assets that can quickly be turned into an operating airline, Wegel said. He said the company probably would have feeder flights out of RDU for an unidentified major carrier.

But Mesa's Lotz said in a telephone interview from Phoenix after the hearing that no decision had been made about keeping the headquarters in Morrisville, restarting flights or hiring Ferguson.

Lotz said the main attraction of the assets were Midway's regional jets, which are increasingly being used by airlines because declining demand makes it difficult to fill large jetliners. But airlines are having trouble financing regional jet acquisitions because of industry turmoil. Midway's planes already have financing.

As part of the purchase, Mesa will assume about $90 million in debt on the airlines.

"We're one of the larger operators of regional jets, so we have a need for regional jets," Lotz said.

Mesa now has 99 regional jets and 55 turboprop commuter planes, he said. The company runs commuter flights for United Airlines, America West and US Airways and under its own name.

Midway's former pilots, which are represented by the Washington-based Air Line Pilots Association, lost their effort Wednesday to block a sale unless their labor contract was picked up by the buyer. But some pilots said they might still get a favorable contract if they go to work for Mesa.

Midway's labor contract sets work rules, salaries and specifies that pilots must be rehired according to seniority. Mesa won't pick up the old contract, but Mesa's pilots are already represented by ALPA.

"We're cautiously optimistic the two ALPA groups can work together," said Mark Stewart, a former Midway pilot who leads the union chapter.

Staff writer Dudley Price can be reached at 829-4525 or [email protected].
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

The 14 hour difference....

Chip posted Dec 10 2003, 02:23 AM:

Chip comments: It's my understanding US Airways likes this deal and the Arlington-based airline will recover its $8 million in Midway DIP financing and get its Midway RJs flying from Wexford Capital at a lower pay-by-hour fee. Therefore, the Wexford deal will improve US Airways' revenue.

Chip posted Dec 10 2003, 04:22 PM:

Chip comments: US Airways' statement was curious in that the company did not specify what 50-seat aircraft would be used, either a CRJ or ERJ, and where the aircraft would come from on short notice. In my opinion, the Mesa decision to outbid Wexford Capital was a coordinated effort between Dave Siegel, Jonathan Ornstein, and Bob Ferguson, who all worked at Continental together prior to assuming their current positions.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
The 14 hour difference....

Chip posted Dec 10 2003, 02:23 AM:

Chip comments: It's my understanding US Airways likes this deal and the Arlington-based airline will recover its $8 million in Midway DIP financing and get its Midway RJs flying from Wexford Capital at a lower pay-by-hour fee. Therefore, the Wexford deal will improve US Airways' revenue.

Chip posted Dec 10 2003, 04:22 PM:

Chip comments: US Airways' statement was curious in that the company did not specify what 50-seat aircraft would be used, either a CRJ or ERJ, and where the aircraft would come from on short notice. In my opinion, the Mesa decision to outbid Wexford Capital was a coordinated effort between Dave Siegel, Jonathan Ornstein, and Bob Ferguson, who all worked at Continental together prior to assuming their current positions.

Jim
Excellent point Boeing Boy.

Furthermore, I recall that Mesa had subleased some of Midway's CRJ's in the past to start the Frontier deal. I believe this took place right after Midway ceased independent operations. I recall seeing pictures of Midway registered aircraft flying Frontier JetExpress in all white paint schemes on airliners.net...

That leads me to believe that Mesa probably had a good idea of what Midway had left to offer.

I guess the super-secret sources were wrong on this one too...