Mesa May Purchase Usairways

Bluestreak said:
Talk of buying US Airways distracts his underpaid workforce from realizing they work at the worst airline in the nation. Instead of complaining about reduced rest and five day trips they can fantasize about the day Mesa staples mainline to the bottom of their seniority list.
[post="254713"][/post]​

Thank you for the infusion of reality!

Is anyone keeping a list of who is on the long list of endorsements for integrity?

EyeInTheSky said:
Oh really? Could have fooled me. He is the least able to handle the position of CEO. Good CEOs need to handle the media better. On newsreports the other night, he came across as a crabby old man with little interest in promoting the company. He is NOT Mr. Diplomacy. Mr Crabby, yes.
[post="254886"][/post]​

"The better your attitude the higher your altitude."

???

PineyBob said:
NO I keep my bills in the same part of my anatomy that you store your head! In your ###!

Here are some more I's For you!

I don't like you. I don't care what you say. I think you work in CCY and use this forum to discredit FFOCUS Members, I think you're a troll of the highest order, I also think I'm an idiot for engaging you. SO I think I'll stop right now. Until I decide to start again. Afterall I control my keyboard. Don't I?
[post="255118"][/post]​

Former ModerAAtor said:
One thing about Lakefield that distinguishes him from the other "leaders" of US Airways -- he's made some tough command decisions.

Nobody wants to go into bankruptcy, ask for paycuts, or close down operations.

But it had to be done, and he did what he could with the tools and resources at his disposal.

I don't agree with the decisions made by Lakefield and Bronner. But the fact remains that they made some difficult decisions and, based on some of the 2004 layoff data just released last week, 90% of the employees are still receiving a paycheck and have some level of health coverage.

Had the paycuts not been imposed in October, my guess is that US would have probably run out of cash at some point during 4Q04. Maybe someone like mweiss can run the numbers...
Leaders sometimes where two hats. There's the concensus builder, which is what Iococca championed, and there's making tough decisions, which is what Jack Welch is known for.

Ideally, as a shareholder I want both qualities in my management team, but if I have to pick one over the other, I'd rather have someone who was trained to launch nuclear missles over a touchy-feely-group-hug type.
[post="255253"][/post]​

Get a grip, man, on your post. Lakefield is not the first CEO to take an airline into BK. What did you think Seigel did?

I wish someone would have launched a missle on your pay check, reitirement pension.

As far as this kind of strategy, Einstien, this managment only knows how to cut laobr costs until the employees are too disoriented and come to work for free.

Yup, great leadership!

Stupid is as stupid says.

Next time, when you can't respond to an opinion using a well-versed, logical rebuttal, just use name calling, threats and the general dumbing down of the topic.

blueoceans said:
Next time, when you can't respond to an opinion using a well-versed, logical rebuttal, just use name calling, threats and the general dumbing down of the topic.
[post="255343"][/post]​

Like this? :up: :up: :up:
QUOTE(PineyBob @ Mar 13 2005, 03:23 PM)
NO I keep my bills in the same part of my anatomy that you store your head! In your ###!

Here are some more I's For you!

I don't like you. I don't care what you say. I think you work in CCY and use this forum to discredit FFOCUS Members, I think you're a troll of the highest order, I also think I'm an idiot for engaging you. SO I think I'll stop right now. Until I decide to start again. Afterall I control my keyboard. Don't I?

PITbull said:
[Lakefield] agrees, at the moment, with whom ever has his attention at that split second.
I hope, for the sake of all employees of US, that you're wrong in this assessment. I've worked for such a person before, and it's a recipe for disaster.

I must say, however, that the rudderless behavior of US in the past few months would corroborate your impression.

PITbull said:
But that damn mangment still gets to hold on to ther jobs...go figure.  All collecting that $10-$25,000 a month pay check....all the way off the cliff. :down:

There are only a select few that are making over 100K. The vast majority of CCY is making peanuts compared to the other legacy carriers. I commend the executives for doing their best in protecting the most jobs and keeping this company above water until we emerge from Chapter 11. If you dislike what is going on within the company then you should submit your resignation.

In another post you wrote that Pineybob was giving Siegel praises for his job at U. Aren't you the same person that gave Siegel praise in an email after the announcement that he was leaving the company. You were more than generous with praise for him in that letter and even gave him a salute.

The Mole said:
There are only a select few that are making over 100K. The vast majority of CCY is making peanuts compared to the other legacy carriers. I commend the executives for doing their best in protecting the most jobs and keeping this company above water until we emerge from Chapter 11. If you dislike what is going on within the company then you should submit your resignation.

In another post you wrote that Pineybob was giving Siegel praises for his job at U. Aren't you the same person that gave Siegel praise in an email after the announcement that he was leaving the company. You were more than generous with praise for him in that letter and even gave him a salute.
[post="255669"][/post]​

Okay Moleman (Good name for blind management). Apparently, you management dudes have nothing better to do than come on USAviation and cause trouble. How about managing the company for a change? Which (oh by the way) is made up of real live human beings. Bet you guys don't think of that factor when scrutinizing those spreadsheets, aye? Keeping the company above water is more than finance..it's asset management...that's employees too. Believe me you guys suck at that.

Third regional airline may aid US Airways
By The Associated Press
Thursday, March 17, 2005
US Airways has turned twice recently to regional airlines to provide financing necessary to escape bankruptcy, heightening speculation that a deal with a third -- Phoenix-based Mesa Air Group -- may not be far behind.

Click for Story

The Mole said:
There are only a select few that are making over 100K. The vast majority of CCY is making peanuts compared to the other legacy carriers.
[post="255669"][/post]​

They are making peanuts because U's performance has been the worst of the legacys since 2000 (greater losses as a percentage of revenue than anyone else, plus two trips to Chapter 11).

Sounds like pay for performance--think of it as "no sense of entitlement" or "market driven performance pay."

One thing you all miss about Siegle & Lakefield is that Siegle missed the boat in Chapter 11 #1. US Airways had 3 strikes against it from the cost side - short haul network; multiple hubs; running traditional connect banks with lots of ground time. Siegle hammered labor, vendors, debt holders, and ordered RJs but did nothing about the structure. With its structure US Airways was a high cost, high fare carrier. As soon as a low cost carrier came into a market (Baltimore) US Airways was pushing a rope uphill. Lakefield hammered labor, vendors, and debt holders in Chapter 11 #2. However, he also took steps to fix the structural problems created years before. It's sad because if Wolfe & Gangwal had addressed those problems when Southwest showed up on their doorstep, the changes needed to have competititve costs over the last 3 years would have been much less painful. The reality is that to survive airlines need to schedule everything - equipment & employees - for maximum efficiency. Too bad it took US Airways so long to wake up.

sandypet said:
One thing you all miss about Siegle & Lakefield is that Siegle missed the boat in Chapter 11 #1.  US Airways had 3 strikes against it from the cost side - short haul network; multiple hubs; running traditional connect banks with lots of ground time.  Siegle hammered labor, vendors, debt holders, and ordered RJs but did nothing about the structure.  With its structure US Airways was a high cost, high fare carrier.  As soon as a low cost carrier came into a market (Baltimore) US Airways was pushing a rope uphill.  Lakefield hammered labor, vendors, and debt holders in Chapter 11 #2.  However, he also took steps to fix the structural problems created years before.  It's sad because if Wolfe & Gangwal had addressed those problems when Southwest showed up on their doorstep, the changes needed to have competititve costs over the last 3 years would have been much less painful.  The reality is that to survive airlines need to schedule everything - equipment & employees - for maximum efficiency.  Too bad it took US Airways so long to wake up.
[post="256595"][/post]​

Nice post though I don't understand this quote

"Lakefield hammered labor, vendors, and debt holders in Chapter 11 #2. However, he also took steps to fix the structural problems created years before."

What are and when exactly are we to see these structural changes to transform USAirways into a low cost, low fare carrier?

By the way Wolf joined USAir in 1996 and well before Southwest moved into BWI in 1993 and way way before USAir was chased out of California so that rope was being pushed well before Wolf came on board.

""That formula has so far proved unbeatable. Consider Southwest's success against just one old-line competitor: US Airways. According to analysis by Michael Roach, an industry consultant with Unisys R2A, a division of the technology company, when Southwest entered the San Francisco-Southern California markets in the late '80s, US Air had a 58% market share in those routes. By the mid-'90s, Southwest had driven US Air completely out of them. In the early '90s, Southwest entered Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI), where US Air had a significant hub; now US Air is down to 4.9% of the traffic at BWI, while Southwest ranks No. 1 with a 47% share. ""

Southwest and USAirways

On a sidenote Pineybob how come everything with you if it isn't related to your "I" syndrome has to be about calling someone or something names or labels?
ref: dysfunctional family