MidAtlantic Question

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
I see on another web page that Republic is repainting some of the E170s for Midwest Express, has US reduced the number of 170s that are flying express?

824MD is now repainted

Actually N824MD flew in the Puffin colors for Frontier as well. So it has been out of the old US colors since at least 2007.

I see on another web page that Republic is repainting some of the E170s for Midwest Express, has US reduced the number of 170s that are flying express?

824MD is now repainted

Republic removed 8 E170s from the USX fleet, in favor of 8 more E175s. Republic currently operates 20 E170s for USX; MidAtlantic has 28 at one point.

Republic removed 8 E170s from the USX fleet, in favor of 8 more E175s. Republic currently operates 20 E170s for USX; MidAtlantic has 28 at one point.
Yeah and they are flying 17 too many airplanes and what exactly is the company doing about this?? What about RW buying Frontier and Midwest? They now own the competition and they need to GO!! All of this and 186 flight attendants in PHX are being furloughed.

IIRC, US Airways took delivery of 801-825 and operated them on the mainline certificate with the fenced MAA contracts. The last three were set to be delivered but never made it to US property and ended up being Republic Airlines first three planes with the other 25 following soon after. Some of those aircraft are now flying for Midwest etc.

According to US.com, US itself has 25 E190. RPA is currently flying 20 E170 and 38 E175 and Mesa is flying 38 CRJ9. Which equals 96 aircraft currently flown by Express affiliates that in 2004 would have to have been staffed by mainline pilots and flight attendants. What does the scope clause say about the number of these jets? Is there a limit? How many cockpit and flight attendant positions does that equal and does that figure into the equation?

Incidentally, the MidAtlantic operation was always a class act, it would have been interesting to see with nearly 100 airplanes. It's a shame to see such a bulk of the old US network farmed out.

What does the scope clause say about the number of these jets? Is there a limit?
There is, but the wording is kinda weird, although lifted almost verbatim from the West pilots' contract.

It says that "a combined maximum of 93 CRJ-900's, or other jet aircraft within the seating and maximum take-off weight limits as specified in Paragraph B above, to be operated in revenue service at any given time." Paragraph B specifies maximum seating for 88 people (90 if no FC) and maximum take-off weight of 90,000 pounds (which would include the E-170/175 but not the E-190/195.

The "operated in revenue service at any given time" may give the company leeway to have more than 93 as long as no more than 93 are being operated at any given time. This would mean that spares, maintenance rotation, etc could be in excess of the 93.

By specifying maximum seating and weight but no minimum, it could be interpreted to mean that any RJ no bigger than the maximums given counts toward the 93. Obviously that isn't the case. However, I think the union is interpreting it to include the CRJ-700's as well as the 900's and E-170/175's which results in the claim than the company is 17 RJ's over the limit.

Jim

There is, but the wording is kinda weird, although lifted almost verbatim from the West pilots' contract.
By specifying maximum seating and weight but no minimum, it could be interpreted to mean that any RJ no bigger than the maximums given counts toward the 93. Obviously that isn't the case. However, I think the union is interpreting it to include the CRJ-700's as well as the 900's and E-170/175's which results in the claim than the company is 17 RJ's over the limit.

Jim
No strings attach scope. This one agreement counts for many jobs in all work groups. It affects everybody. That’s why management went after the east pilots first. I hope the language is strong enough to win arbitration. There was grievance file wasn’t it????????

No strings attach scope.

Not sure what you mean - the whole express operation is one big string wrapped around scope.

This one agreement counts for many jobs in all work groups. It affects everybody. That’s why management went after the east pilots first. I hope the language is strong enough to win arbitration. There was grievance file wasn’t it????????

The - there was a grievance filed. As it pertains to this one issue, the company didn't go after East or West since the language is in the transition agreement and alters both contracts.

Jim