Minimum Wage Bill Dead

delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
www.youtube.com
Can't afford life under Progressive Big Government?

The Democrats’ minimum wage bill is set to die on the Senate floor Wednesday.
Despite an intense push by President Obama and Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill, Senate Republicans haven’t budged and will reject the measure that would increase the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour. The procedural roll call to advance the bill is expected to fail on a party-line vote, short of the 60 votes needed.

The legislation is coming up for a vote after weeks of delay, but a multipronged pressure campaign against Republicans has failed to fracture the GOP — in sharp contrast to prior election years.
Reid initially said the Senate would consider the bill in early March. Instead, it languished while a coalition of labor unions and liberal groups intensely lobbied centrist Democratic and Republican senators.

The impact of the lobbying effort on Republicans has been hampered by Obama’s low approval ratings. A Washington Post-ABC News poll released Tuesday showed the president’s approval rating has fallen to 41 percent, a 5-point drop compared to March.

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/204766-1010-wage-bill-set-to-die#ixzz30NyS9bIe

Reactions: 1 person
In 1964 the minimum wage was $1.25/Hr. That was also the last year quarters had silver in them. 5 quarters ($1.25) was both the minimum wage AND the "melt" value of the silver in those quarters.

in 2014 that same amount of silver would cost $17.91. Time to ask the Federal Reserve where the money went, as the now current minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. It should be $17.91/hour based upon the value of silver.

Perhaps now you see why Auditing the Fed is in the workers interest?

xUT said:
In KommieFornia, the min wage jumps to $9 in June and $10 next June.
Hope my customers don't complain about price increases, but I know they will...
:p
Sometimes they just don't get it...  :blink:

As minimum wage climbs, businesses will continue to find ways around it.

Large retailers will continue to add self-service check-outs (Home Depot, Meijer, & Walmart have all proven that one worker can supervise four lanes very easily). So will grocery chains, who are already using them fairly uniformly.

You'll see more mobile ordering apps and kiosks in use at fast food, as Subway and BK have already introduced in many places. Rumor had it that McDonalds was toying with having a call center managing drive-thru orders, which I find most interesting as call centers aren't exactly cheap overhead...

Brick & mortar stores will continue to close (as Radio Shack, Office Depot, Staples, and Family Dollar are already doing in very large numbers), and probably more consolidation. The merger of Safeway & Albertsons is already underway; Safeway was always the higher touch chain, and they could no longer keep up...

Some of this would have happened eventually regardless, but the wage hike will accelerate those efforts.

xUT said:
In KommieFornia, the min wage jumps to $9 in June and $10 next June.
Hope my customers don't complain about price increases, but I know they will...
:p
Are your competitors going to increase their prices as well?

Supporters of the minimum wage intend it to lift low-income families out of poverty. Unfortunately, despite these good intentions, the minimum wage has proved ineffective at doing so. Indeed, it often holds back many of the workers its proponents want to help. Higher minimum wages both reduce overall employment and encourage relatively affluent workers to enter the labor force. Minimum wage increases often lead to employers replacing disadvantaged adults who need a job with suburban teenagers who do not.

This can have long-term consequences. Minimum wage positions are typically learning wage positions—they enable workers to gain the skills necessary to become more productive on the job. As workers become more productive they command higher pay and move up their career ladder. Two-thirds of minimum wage workers earn a raise within a year. Raising the minimum wage makes such entry-level positions less available, in effect sawing off the bottom rung of many workers’ career ladders. This hurts these workers’ career prospects.

Even if minimum wage workers do not lose their job, the overlapping and uncoordinated design of U.S. welfare programs prevents those in need from benefitting from higher wages. As their income rises they lose federal tax credits and assistance. These benefit losses offset most of the wage increase. A single mother with one child faces an effective marginal tax rate of 91 percent when her pay rises from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour. Studies also find higher minimum wages do not reduce poverty rates. Despite the best of intentions, the minimum wage has proved an ineffective—and often counterproductive—policy in the war on poverty.

Congress could do more to help low-income families by restructuring and coordinating welfare programs and their associated phase-out rates. No one in American—and especially not low-income workers—should face tax rates in excess of 50 percent.
http://www.heritage.org/research/testimony/2013/06/what-is-minimum-wage-its-history-and-effects-on-the-economy

Ms Tree said:
Doesn't matter, the cost is passed onto the customer...period!

So when you go to McD's and your Big Mac is $8.25, people like you will be the first to b!tch!

southwind said:
Doesn't matter, the cost is passed onto the customer...period!So when you go to McD's and your Big Mac is $8.25, people like you will be the first to b!tch!
Seriously? If his competitors decide to eat the cost of higher labor but xUT decides to increase his cost you don't think that matters? Seriously?

Ms Tree said:

It isn’t the min wage per say. It’s the cascading of compensation. I can’t pay an entry level position the same as a person whom worked here one year.  We evaluate compensation every month and if the employee is improving, then we give a raise.  Now I just can’t give a raise to entry level workers only and leave everyone else that has worked here longer, harder and have higher salaries nothing so I am compelled to give ‘everyone’ a raise ‘to be fair’

I know the gooberment loves this as I have to pay the employer match in SS & Medicare. That is a combined cost of 7.65% borne by me.  It doesn’t seem like much but these costs can add up pretty quickly.

My products are priced below my competitors and we have not raised prices in 2 years even though cost of the product has increased. That’s why they keep coming.  I can’t continue to absorb vendor cost increases and payroll increases.

I am compelled to raise prices. If business falls off, then I will be compelled to reduce staff.
I see no magic bullet that would allow me to stay in business.

Well, If you are below market in comparison to your competitors I would think that should give you a bit of wiggle room. With any luck they increase their prices a bit and you can stay in the game.

Good luck to you. Running a business can be a PIA.

Ms Tree said:
Seriously? If his competitors decide to eat the cost of higher labor but xUT decides to increase his cost you don't think that matters? Seriously?
At what point does a company, especially a small one, decide, after "Eating" the higher cost of labor, that the profit has shrunken to the point that its not worth staying in business any longer?

Reactions: 4 people
Ms Tree said:
Well, If you are below market in comparison to your competitors I would think that should give you a bit of wiggle room. With any luck they increase their prices a bit and you can stay in the game.

Good luck to you. Running a business can be a PIA.
You can't imagine...
People ask me to expand but He11 I am still 10 years in debt.