Misquoted? Or did someone just open up a whole can of worms?

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
United Airlines says they have not decided how it will handle passengers with oversized carry on bags and US Airways says they will allow passengers to check overweight, or oversized, carry bags at the gate for free.

Entire Article

And if its right, someone needs to be fired. And if its wrong, then someone needs to be sure a retraction is printed before there is a problem at the gate. :down: :angry:

JUST GREAT
The agents hands are tied with quotes like this

US Airways says they will allow passengers to check overweight, or oversized, carry bags at the gate for free.

JUST GREAT
The agents hands are tied with quotes like this

US Airways says they will allow passengers to check overweight, or oversized, carry bags at the gate for free.
How about this one---"US Airways say they add extra staff during peak flying times to make sure bulky carry on bags are checked before they are deemed a problem, thus reducing delays for all passengers. "

Please tell me WHERE this extra staff is going to be?? Personally I think TSA security lines should be broken down now by airline...if you're flying on USAir, go through this check point----if you're on United, go through the next one---each airline would then have an agent or two standing and telling them they will have to check one of their 3 huge bags.
Trust me, I am NOT in favor of this AT ALL, think it's ridiculous and it will cause a ton of problems BUT if they are going to do it, passengers need to be cut off at the pass before they get to the gate.
Another example of Tempe not thinking this through...and whoever made the statement in the article does need to be fired !!!

Oh my children! Feel not abandoned and alone. At AA, I have yet to get a single member of management (including a regional director) to address the issue of how the heck did they get to the bottom of the jetbridge with that many/oversized bag(s) in the first place? When they get to row 27 on an MD-80, it's too late to tell them they need to check a bag unless it just won't fit in the OH, period.

At one of our stations, the agent told me that local management had made the decision to post an agent at security and direct overloaded people to the ticket counter to check the overage rather than let them get through security with the kitchen sink, the 6-man tent and the camp stove. That's proactive (and totally out of character for our management), but I pity the poor agent who gets stuck with that job. Good thing there's an Employee Assistance Program to provide counseling. :lol:

this might be humorous if it wasn't further proof of how much stupidity there is at the top

Here's a story I saw on another site:

Middle Seat: Space Race — A Battle Looms for the Overhead BinsSpace Race — A Battle Looms for the Overhead Bins
By Scott McCartney, The Wall Street Journal

The carry-on-baggage police will soon be out in force at airports.

<SNIP>

AMR Corp.'s American and UAL Corp.'s United will station airline employees or hired contract workers at entrances to security screening lanes to intercept customers exceeding the carry-on limit of one bag small enough to fit in an overhead bin and one "personal item" like a purse or briefcase.

<SNIP>

United is in favor of bringing back templates, says Senior Vice President Scott Dolan, and US Airways Group Inc. President Scott Kirby says a return of baggage templates is "likely" at some airports.

Linkage