Miss. school prom off after lesbian's date request

Garfield1966

Veteran
Apr 7, 2003
Texas
Miss. Prom

JACKSON, Miss. – A northern Mississippi school district will not be hosting a high school prom this spring after a lesbian student sought to attend with her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo.
The ACLU said McMillen approached school officials shortly before the memo went out because she knew same-sex dates had been banned in the past. The ACLU said district officials told McMillen she and her girlfriend wouldn't be allowed to arrive together, that she would not be allowed to wear a tuxedo, and that she and her girlfriend might be asked to leave if their presence made any other students "uncomfortable."

Since when are civil rights based on someones comfort level. Being gay is not illegal. The school is a public school using public taxes (gays pay taxes last time I checked). I wonder if there were similar restriction for blacks before civil rights laws were passed.

Dell,

Is this an appropriate time to exercise ones constitutional rights?

Have 2 proms. One for the girl and her girlfriend= 1 six pack of coke and a bag of chips and the other for everyone else !

Everyone wins ! :up:

Miss. Prom

Since when are civil rights based on someones comfort level. Being gay is not illegal. The school is a public school using public taxes (gays pay taxes last time I checked). I wonder if there were similar restriction for blacks before civil rights laws were passed.

Dell,

Is this an appropriate time to exercise ones constitutional rights?

Democrat = throwing out the over-used race card whenever the situation remotely presents itself !

You two need to read the 14th again. Also, separate but equal was overturned in 1954. And given that that the school uses public funds (taxes) there is no justification to force them to go to a separate prom. The students go to the school and are therefore entitled to attend the prom.

Dell,

When you said that gays were not mentioned in the COTUS, you made heteros the issue. The 14th prevents any law from distinguish a certain group. That is why the Shivo law failed constitutional muster.

South,
Sexual preference has nothing to do with race. The liberals are just concerned about equal rights for all people. Are you advocating equal rights for only certain people? When do you plan on amending the COTUS?

When you said that gays were not mentioned in the COTUS, you made heteros the issue. The 14th prevents any law from distinguish a certain group. That is why the Shivo law failed constitutional muster.

I didn't make anyone an issue.....its well documented who is on point regarding the subject.

Yes you did Dell. You are pretending that heterosexuality is specifically protected under the COTUS. It's not.

SCOTUS has addressed this issue over and over. This school will lose and that is as it should be. The school is in clear violation of the 14th.

Yes you did Dell. You are pretending that heterosexuality is specifically protected under the COTUS. It's not.

SCOTUS has addressed this issue over and over. This school will lose and that is as it should be. The school is in clear violation of the 14th.

My response does not make it an issue. It already is/was an issue.

And as to the fourteenth..........until someone provides SCOTUS with a successful arguement addressing violations under equal protection it is what it is. No more no less.

No one has too. The school knows they screwed up and violated the law. That's why they canceled the prom.

BTW Dell, did you red your post #5? According to your post the only purpose for male/female relations is species regeneration. So any male/female relationship with out children would not be sanctioned either. So if no children producing relationships are allowed, then the sex of the individuals involve is not relevant.

BTW, a little off topic but the idea that sex is only for reproduction does not hold water either. Humans do not (at least not any more) have the ability to detect when a female is in heat. So sex between humans (without males being told) is a crap shoot at best. Secondly, I am guessing that you along with most other males have had sex at least once with out the intention of having an offspring. If I had to guess, in your younger years you probably did that more than once... just a guess.

Well lets see,.....................Gays are the issue in a planned prom in ........"M"ississippi............., so they cancelled it.
(I wonder if they would have cancelled it in ..."M"ichigan...."M"ontana....."M"assachusetts....."M"aine ???

"Nuff said !

joanne

JACKSON, Miss. – A northern Mississippi school district will not be hosting a high school prom this spring after a lesbian student sought to attend with her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo.

Miss. Prom

Since when are civil rights based on someones comfort level. Being gay is not illegal.

I've no issues with what anyone's preferences ae as to how they love or seek out love. I do wonder where, if anyplace, any "line" should be drawn. Case in point here = the tuxedo. Would it have been acceptable for all the male students to show up in dress gowns?