More Flights In Mdw

ngneer

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Gary Kelly says that SWA is interested in acquiring some of ATA's newer 737-800s and expanding SWA's MDW operation. He says they're definitely not going to stand still in MDW. Colleen Barrett says that more passengers want assigned seating, especially on the long-haul flights and SWA is considering going in that direction, but it might take a year for assigned seating to happen.

It's good that SWA isn't just saying no to doing something (assigned seating or 737-800s) just because it's different from what they've always done in the past. Personally, I like the open seating. But with everything highly computerized these days, I don't think assigned seats should impair operational efficiency.

MDW expansion and assigned seats

ngneer said:
Gary Kelly says that SWA is interested in acquiring some of ATA's newer 737-800s and expanding SWA's MDW operation. He says they're definitely not going to stand still in MDW. Colleen Barrett says that more passengers want assigned seating, especially on the long-haul flights and SWA is considering going in that direction, but it might take a year for assigned seating to happen.

It's good that SWA isn't just saying no to doing something (assigned seating or 737-800s) just because it's different from what they've always done in the past. Personally, I like the open seating. But with everything highly computerized these days, I don't think assigned seats should impair operational efficiency.

MDW expansion and assigned seats
[post="196173"][/post]​
I heard a rumour in LAS that HP is poised to purchase ATA equipment along with some kind of merger plan.

SWA will now be adding 21 flights to MDW in a 3 month time frame, January to March, and SWA has said there will be more added in 2005 to MDW. Does anyone think that is a ploy to get the gates from ATA in the Bankruptcy bidding war? SWA can argue that it has the planes coming and is adding the flights already to new markets, ORF and SLC, and adding frequencies in many other markets. IF, and a big IF, SWA also goes after the 737-800's of ATA, they might say they would be based at MDW to also add seats without adding flights to make the NIMBYs happy. Just my thoughts........