Major Schedule "tweak"

ngneer

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
SWA announced a major schedule change to take place starting the end of October, dropping 88 flights to free up aircraft for use on more lucrative routes. Eliminating frequency on routes poses some risk since it may become more convenient for some pax to use a competitor, but CEO Gary Kelly says they're reducing frequency on routes where competitors have reduced frequency. According to a SWA spokesperson, some short-haul flying is going to be dropped in favor longer hauls but overall capacity will remain the same. I guess the long-hauls are doing well. All in all, it sounds to me like a good idea that they gave their schedule a complete review and are trying some adjustments.

I suspect this means their smaller "tweak" of the Texas Triangle was deemed successful (Remember, DAL-HOU was reduced from 32 roundtrips to 29?)... I suspect they are simply reducing frequencies on things like MDW-MCI and PHX-LAX and LAX-OAK and DAL-AUS... And now, instead of having one flight every 0:30 minutes, they will have 1 flight every 0:45.... That, combined with their 60-70% load factor would indicate that they will likely not lose any pax, just fill up the remaining flights fuller... This is a smart move.... I am a bit surprised they haven't done this before? Maybe Southwest is not as "nimble" as we think... "Nimble" meaning ability to enter and exit a market quickly, like AirTran did in BWI...

Th"tweak" was already announced a few weeks ago. i don't know why it has resurfaced in the media. I suppose they have nothing else to talk about. The 88 flight tweak was in place when the last flights were announced, so they just moved aircraft around the system.

wwtraveler99 said:
Th"tweak" was already announced a few weeks ago. i don't know why it has resurfaced in the media. I suppose they have nothing else to talk about. The 88 flight tweak was in place when the last flights were announced, so they just moved aircraft around the system.
[post="171948"][/post]​

It ain't nothin but a thang.

FA Mikey said:
Unless you are U. SWA will bring up to 41 the number of daily departures at PHL. Starting October31.
[post="172068"][/post]​

According to Yahoo! news, Forbes.com has an article about a new large push by WN at PHL, but the Forbes website is stuck in an endless advertising loop that is keeping me from reading the article.

Southwest doesnt have enough gates in PHL to add many more flts, maybe a handful. So unless they acquire more gates Southwest won't be adding much in PHL for a while.

usairways85 said:
Southwest doesnt have enough gates in PHL to add many more flts, maybe a handful. So unless they acquire more gates Southwest won't be adding much in PHL for a while.
[post="172125"][/post]​

Looks like they found some. Like U in FLL, I have no idea how they plan to sqeeze those flights and people into there tiny gate and counter area. SWA has a schedule set and its for 41 daily departures out of PHL.

yea i know Southwest has 41 flts planned for Oct 31st but as of now they can't expand much more than that unless they somehow get a hold of more gates

Here's a question...

in the event of a Chapter 11 filing does whatever governmental body that controls the airport terminal at Philadelphia have the right to wrestle gates away from USAirways and re-lease them to Southwest Airlines Co.???

I can hear Garry Kelly now..."we'd like one of those cheese steak thingies...and 18 gates to go, please."

ramper_in_las said:
remember if the info was released to wn emplyees on SWAlife it hasn't reached the media until the official information has been released to the them....
[post="172284"][/post]​
It was on the Fox new channel last night so I guess it's out now. 88 flights, 60 million in savings to the company.

A few articles out about SWA making, "massive PHL push".

Me thinks that U will be giving up some space in PHL and SWA is getting reading to jump on any opportunities up there, just in case. We are freeing up some assets so we will see what happens.

Article also said PHL has been the most successful opening of any station for SWA, thats impressive. I know SWA putting mechs up there after only a couple of months is very fast for us.

Latest posts