more IAM fleet service committeemen recommending a ''no'' vote

To ANnother voice.

I will address 3 things so the readers can be fully informed of your statements.

Question 1 Can the ramp liquidate this company?

I believe the point has been beaten to death about if the ramp has the power to shut this company down or if they don't. My persuasion is well known. Without rehashing the argument presented on the floor, to suggest that the ramp can somehow force this company to pick its ball up and go home is nonsensical.
If you choose to believe the ramp will liquidate things then so be it. Your argument is heard and the jury will decide. Believe what you wish.

Question 2.
You suggested that since the rampers aren't as strong as the mechanics that it should naturally follow that the ramp won't get a better deal since the mechanics didn't.

I'm not understanding your logics. Let me explain.
It isn't that the ramp wants a new deal. We have a contract that goes until 2009, along with a 1113 letter. Last I heard it was the company that came to us because they are the ones that want something. The fact is that the ramp doesn't have to give a thing because we have a contract.
But in the goodness of our "hearts and interest" and realizing the current situation I told you that I believe most rampers including me would approve a new contract if the company cleaned up the "6 page enema" (My 8 points printed above).

If the company doesn't want to settle on, let's say, $7million instead of $14 million than fine, I will keep the modification we already have. What power do I need to have to cheerfully give more other than a willing heart?

Personally I think it would be in the company's interest to take what the majority of rampers is willing to give them.

Question 3
You suggest that management will break its promise backed up in a binding letter and run back to the judge if we vote no.

Now the facts.
1. No Judge has thrown out an 1113 letter from an airline in chapter 11. Nuff said.
2. But precedents are set so for arguments sake, let's say our current management lies again and convinces the judge to throw the 1113 out.

Now you have a work force that is free to do alot of things and it will present troubles to investors of this company, ie., the investors want signed contracts to protect their intere$t, the last thing they want is a "majorly" pissed off and disgruntled work group that is free to take "legal" self help actions at any time.
How does that protect the investment community?

So that, even though US AIRWAYS might put such a statement out that they will seek to abrogate a contract, it clearly isn't in their best interest. They will be better served to ask for a revote on the same thing or improve the enema.

Besides, other groups have gone through the bankruptcy process in fairly similar situations and come out better. For instance at America West, the pilots were given a poor proposals in Bankruptcy [didn't have an 1113 letter] and they chose not to accept them.

They leafletted with information pickets at major airports around the America West system although they didn't resort to other self helps.
The end result was a report of a Tentative agreement with America West that provided improvements from what they had (December 23rd I believe). I don't know if the pilots ratified the T/A or if they are voting on it or what at this moment.

As I said, the last thing the company wants is to provoke a situation with a group that gives the group legal self helps in a situation that is volatile for the company. The company wants organization and contracts so it can project years ahead.

Regards,

Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman 1487
215-440-6392

It's already bad for rampers and the enema will make it a great deal worse.
I am making a reasonable and logical persuasion on the floor that I am confident will be finally convincing to those who compare the evidence and set aside emotion.
Unfortunatly the other persuasion on the floor is based on rhetoric, provoking threats, intimidations, etc, to provoke a phobia blanketed by cloudy mind.

In the end, the jury will decide.

Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman 1487, Chicago O'hare
215-440-6392

To Chip:
the company has said alot of things that have been proven false. Our first contract had a condition that all 3 IAM groups had to approve settlements. The company balked on that.

They also balked on the deadlines several times and in fact our mechanics were given another vote even though the company, (As you say) made it very clear that they would seek to abrogate the mechanics contract after a potential NO vote.
As you know, your man Mr. Seigel balked again, and as you might say,
"out of him being so labor friendly," gave those mechanics one more chance to get it right.

Management also balked on coming back for concessions. These things are not surprising and new. Myself and others told YES voters last time that a YES vote would only encourage the company to come back for more. And they have. Management is very consistant on what you would expect them to say to protect their interest and that's my understanding.

As far as the judge with horns charting new waters, I can't say a new precedent is an impossibility. I think it is marginal thinking because it does not protect the investment of the investment community. Bronner wants signed contracts, not a bunch of pissed off workers who can seek legal self help at any moment.

Time will tell, because all indications to me are that the ramp will be a NO vote.

Regarding America West Pilots. They did go through a Bankruptcy in '94. They did go through the ATSB loan guarantee procedure afterwards and they did not take a new contract for 3 years until last month. And it was better than what was originally offered in the ATSB process.

Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman 1487
215-440-6392

Tim,
Most indications are pointing towards a larger NO vote than last time. Lots of folks are just fed up with the company. I got several phone calls today and everyone who reported said voting NO seemed to be in the majority. Thanks for all the information it has helped alot to open the eyes of a alot people.

Another question on the hotline

Question: Tim why is the medical snapback gone at the end of the contract?
This is a good question, particularly for those who plan on being on fixed incomes 6 years from now. Presently, there is a snap back on 1/1/09 that snaps all the way back to the 1999 agreement. The first modification was a way to help the company during the 6 years but to snap back to previous levels.
Unfortunately, for reasons unknown to me, their is no snap back this time. The medical attachment sheet only says on 1/1/09 it will be suspended one day before ammendable date. Giant difference.

For anyone who even thinks of voting YES on this that is next to retirement, I belive you should think really hard about giving this snap back up.

You can view the last modification sheets and the new ones on iam141 web site.

Question 2:
Tim, the union has pissed us all off here by putting out unemployment charts and home depot starting rates instead of addressing the contract.

Well, I certainly hope it isn't the union doing that but I can understand the union's position, along with the company's and the Pilots. There is nothing new here.

We need to really spend some time putting the fight back in machinist, and I think we will be able to.

Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman 1487
215-440-6392

Report from PHL just arrived and we will definately be picking up NO votes in PHL.
It is a crime that the union has not addressed the mandatory overtime issue in PHL to satisfaction.

Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman 1487
215-440-6392

We received this as a quote from our attorney. He has been through airline bankruptcies and his input changed me from a no to a YES vote.

"The Bankruptcy Judge is not there to assure fair and equitable treatment of employees, he is there to see that creditors get their money. If he feels any group is an obstacle to a successful reorganization he will steamroll right over the top of them. He will simply set aside the 1113 letter and any scope or work rules he deems necessary to protect the creditor, not employees. The other option is simply for the Company to liquidate under Chapter 7. The Company also made it very clear there will be no renegotiations."

I do not like either option. Do you know for sure what NO means? Have you talked with the IAM attorney? Any attorney? Call a good labor attorney. It's cheaper for you to do that and make an informed decision than it is to screw yourself into the hands of a bankruptcy judge or even worse unemployment.

We lost big too. Good luck to all of us and I hope you make that call and save yourselves from the embarassment of losing even more.

If you think the cuts are bad, the door is worse. Our furlough pay only last 15 weeks.

A Dispatcher that woke up.

I believe people like Tim Nelson could be taking the FSA down a bad and difficult path. With it now apparent the company is going to file a S.1113 motion, it appears any union who does not ratify their TA is going to get hammered in court.

Chip

Biff:[BR][BR]Wait and see. The Company now seems prepared to seek to terminate IAM and AFA pensions, if necessary, as well as seek deeper cuts through the S.1113 process. Why do you think Bill Freiberger reportedly warned LAX mechanics of this risk yersterday, according to Tug_Slug? [BR][BR]Regardless, according to USADispatcher the TWU attorney apparently said (quote), "The Bankruptcy Judge is not there to assure fair and equitable treatment of employees, he is there to see that creditors get their money. If he feels any group is an obstacle to a successful reorganization he will steamroll right over the top of them. He will simply set aside the 1113 letter and any scope or work rules he deems necessary to protect the creditor, not employees. The other option is simply for the Company to liquidate under Chapter 7. The Company also made it very clear there will be no renegotiations."[BR][BR]Chip

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/9/2003 9:05:22 PM chipmunn wrote:
[P]I believe people like Tim Nelson could be taking the FSA down a bad and difficult path. With it now apparent the company is going to file a S.1113 motion, it appears any union who does not ratify their TA is going to get hammered in court.[BR][BR]Chip [/P]----------------with all due respect chip,[BR]the 2 unions who may get HAMMERED in court are the same 2 who seem to be getting HAMMERED out of court.[BR][BR][BR][/BLOCKQUOTE]

"Question 2:
Tim, the union has pissed us all off here by putting out unemployment charts and home depot starting rates instead of addressing the contract.

Well, I certainly hope it isn't the union doing that but I can understand the union's position, along with the company's and the Pilots. There is nothing new here.

We need to really spend some time putting the fight back in machinist, and I think we will be able to.

Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman 1487
215-440-6392

I saw this piece of toilet paper as well. Why didn't they include the CO Express pay in there also..they showed the starting wages at these places of employmnet, not what you would earn after 20 years there. It wouldn't take long to break the $13 wage there. There are several jobs in my area that will start out near $13, with a chance to advance your pay. I along with most others wish to stay with the company after all these years, but need to be able to live without food stamps and free school lunces for the kids as well. We all know $13 is crap for a well trained employee and we will be dormant at that rate until 2008.....$13 won't go far now...what will it do in 6 long years.

USADispatcher, thanks for posting this information.[BR][BR]As you know and indicated, it will be much worse for any union who fails to ratify their TA, regardless of how distasteful this whole mess is.[BR][BR]Chip

Latest posts