Msy Opens 9/13 Who Will Return & How?

AA191

Advanced
Sep 17, 2002
www.flymsy.com is reporting that the MSY airport will open for commercial operations on 9/13 at Terminal A & B only. So I am assuming that the airlines will be sharing gate space and other ground support work.

Who is planning on flying back into MSY and how frequently? Will the number of flights and cities be reduced? One would think without the convention center and other tourist type traffic that MSY will be a light commercial for some time (besides for the relief effort flights).

Thoughts,

AA191 said:
www.flymsy.com is reporting that the MSY airport will open for commercial operations on 9/13 at Terminal A & B only. So I am assuming that the airlines will be sharing gate space and other ground support work.

Who is planning on flying back into MSY and how frequently? Will the number of flights and cities be reduced? One would think without the convention center and other tourist type traffic that MSY will be a light commercial for some time (besides for the relief effort flights).

Thoughts,
[post="299530"][/post]​

the rumor i have heard in LAS is that WN won't be returning for business in MSY until after the first of the year...

Does anyone know if WN will reinstate MSY-MCO because I booked a flight for the Thanksgiving holidays? ;)

AA191 said:

Thoughts,
[post="299530"][/post]​

Jungle drums I've heard also mention NWA with 2 round trips, and I've also heard that CO will have a round trip, presumably from IAH.

I haven't heard any plans on SWA or any others.

Southwest out of N.O. for time being

By MIKE DUNNE

Advocate staff writer

While commercial flights resumed Tuesday to New Orleans' Louis Armstrong International Airport, Southwest Airlines has alerted customers that it has canceled all scheduled service to and from the hurricane-ravaged city.
A spokeswoman for the airline said Southwest will likely be back at the airport, but it will give no time frame.

Employees who are willing to transfer to other Southwest operations are being given an opportunity to move where jobs are open, said Angela Vargo of Southwest. They would also be eligible to transfer back to New Orleans when operations there continue.

She also said that New Orleans' loss will not be Baton Rouge's gain. Metro Airport officials have long tried to woo the discount carrier here without success.

In a message to ticket holders and some travel agents, the airline said when the airport is again functioning as a commercial airport, and "passenger demand becomes clear," it will consider "building from 'scratch' a flight schedule. We suspect that schedule will initially offer very limited service. We expect passenger demand to dictate an increase in flights just as happens whenever we open a new city. We have no way of knowing when this will happen, and it's not fair to our customers or employees to predict a set timeframe," the company said.

When asked if it was possible that Southwest would not return to New Orleans at some point in the future, Vargo said, "Not at all. There are a lot of factors (in returning). We just don't have a timeframe as to when that will be and when we will be able to ramp it up.

"We are carefully evaluating all the factors" that will dictate when the company will return, Vargo said.

She said there are several jobs available throughout Southwest's network and workers who could transfer "obviously, would be welcomed back" to New Orleans when the carrier returns.

There has been "no discussion of shifting our operation" to Baton Rouge, Vargo said.

I know that people want to do the right thing and help MSY oput and do as much as they can, but I don't think that you will see the airlines flying in a bunch of empty planes. I think SWA may bring 4 or 5 flights a day by mid October, but that is all. As a stockholder I don't want to see SWA running in empty planes to MSY just to look good in the public eye. Just my thoughts...........

coolflyingfool said:
As a stockholder I don't want to see SWA running in empty planes to MSY just to look good in the public eye. Just my thoughts...........
[post="300903"][/post]​

Agree! It is nice to see a company demonstrate a prudent business-focused approach instead of going for the photo-op. SWA has been a major participant in the charitable airlift program so it isn't as if the company abandoned the city.

SWA only serves 60 (ah, make that 59) cities in the nation. There are plenty of other opportunities available to make a profit while MSY rebuilds itself into a viable destination again.

Starting the week of Sept 20 SWA is going to have 2 flights a day between MSY and HOU.

Latest posts