My Thoughts

UPNAWAY

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
DALLAS
My intitial reaction was that this was more a "first shot" poker move than a final solution. As the day went on I am more convinced that this is a serious attempt.
Reasons:
1. Doug is not dumb nor rash.
2. The offer may be to good to turn down from the Delta creditors. I would not be suprised to see others lining up to throw money into this.
3. The issues of DOJ/Antitrust they have hired an expert to advise on that and they see none that cannot be overcome.
4. Why not NWA? This was actually asked on the conf. call and Doug said all thier research shows Delta is a better target. For us lay people we look at fleet commonality and route maps, Doug is obviously looking at things beyond that. I just wonder what that is or what he knows about NWA? He did used to work there?

Ultimatley I do not think this will get done as a hostile take over. Either DAL will look at this, talk with thier creditors and decide it is a good deal or if they decide to not participate then it will eventualy fade away.

Some interesting tidbits, 50 seat RJs would see cuts!
US Airways is currently talking with Boeing about replacement Aircraft, unrelated to this merger, and that they would be a partner going forward with the merger.

My intitial reaction was that this was more a "first shot" poker move than a final solution. As the day went on I am more convinced that this is a serious attempt.
Reasons:
1. Doug is not dumb nor rash.
2. The offer may be to good to turn down from the Delta creditors. I would not be suprised to see others lining up to throw money into this.
3. The issues of DOJ/Antitrust they have hired an expert to advise on that and they see none that cannot be overcome.
4. Why not NWA? This was actually asked on the conf. call and Doug said all thier research shows Delta is a better target. For us lay people we look at fleet commonality and route maps, Doug is obviously looking at things beyond that. I just wonder what that is or what he knows about NWA? He did used to work there?

Ultimatley I do not think this will get done as a hostile take over. Either DAL will look at this, talk with thier creditors and decide it is a good deal or if they decide to not participate then it will eventualy fade away.

Some interesting tidbits, 50 seat RJs would see cuts!
US Airways is currently talking with Boeing about replacement Aircraft, unrelated to this merger, and that they would be a partner going forward with the merger.

DAL's fleet is not vastly inconsistent with LCC's. Their mainline jets consist of 737-800, 757-200, 767's (-200, -300, and -400) and Triple 7's. They do have those pesky super-80s, which could, of course, be rejected in bankruptcy. By introducing the Triple 7's into our fleet, we'd have a great opportunity to play Airbus against Boeing for our widebody growth. I don't know what engine types any of DAL's aircraft have, so some inconsistencies may develop on that front.

Latest posts