Nametags

USAirBoyA330

Veteran
Aug 23, 2002
We have already gone over the uniform travesty at USAirways. I too have noticed the gate agents not wearing name tags. People just don''t give a hoot anymore. There is no pride left and I guess people feel stripped of dignity. I don''t think it can be a security issue because they don''t allow last names printed on the tag. Who knows....

Traveled through several cities in the past month including one major hub to find most of our Customer Service staff no longer wears their nametags. The reasons I can think of for not having their nametags on range from new tags are not being issued to embarrassed to work for US. I know everyone is ticked off at Management, but the uniformed staff is starting to look as shabby as our aircraft interiors. Impressions of excellence may have been a Wolfe program but we at least looked professional.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. With the poor service we provide and the lack of tools we have to do the job, who wants anyone to know your name. Other than the VP''s and the other big shots, nobody does give a hoot anymore. Most are just buying their time until they find another job. If I didn''t need the medical benefits, I would have taken the furlough and never looked back. 15 weeks of a free paycheck and the extended unemployment would have made for a nice long vacation. The pay sure isn''t enough to keep any good people around for much longer. The company will soon get their wishes with a bunch of $7 kids, and a revolving door of them. Things are only going to get better.

Hey Piney
Many of us try to work up to our own standard of excellence but sometimes our standards have a hard time showing. The daily onslaught of a few customers that are bitter , disgruntled , tired, take a toll and even some seasoned veterans become a bit jaded. Granted a majority of customers are neither happy or angry, they are there just to trudge on to the plane sit down and endure the flight. Customers who are appreciative are always a welcome sight. The company has put us in a position that many a time I feel embarassed and ashamed and it is sometimes hard to stand there and act as a representive, I know , that''s what they pay me for. Many of us are looking elsewhere for work and until then we try to put on our best effort, and once in a while that feeling of hopelessness shows through.

Alf,
I''m usually just a lurker on these boards, but after what I saw today I have to reply to your post. On my commute home I witnessed a disgruntled passenger rip the name-tag from a F/A on an Express flight. He nearly knocked her down. She promptly recovered and alerted the flight deck of what had just happened. We had just begun our initial approach to our destination so we did not divert, but I assume the Capt. radioed the authorities. Our flight was met at the gate by the local police. The police immediately took the man into custody. I don''t believe he was aware that not following crew member instructions is a federal offense, let alone assaulting a F/A. That said, ignorance is no excuse for bad behavior. I gave the F/A my name and payroll # in case she needs me as a witness.....

UsPerfEngr

Piney''s right! Hang in there....someday (I hope soon) all mgmt will realize that if they treat the employees well, the employees will ALWAYS go the extra mile. Why is this so hard for them to understand?

----------------
On 7/2/2003 8:09:09 PM Seatacus wrote:

Hey Piney

Many of us try to work up to our own standard of excellence but sometimes our standards have a hard time showing. The daily onslaught of a few customers that are bitter , disgruntled , tired, take a toll and even some seasoned veterans become a bit jaded. Granted a majority of customers are neither happy or angry, they are there just to trudge on to the plane sit down and endure the flight. Customers who are appreciative are always a welcome sight. The company has put us in a position that many a time I feel embarassed and ashamed and it is sometimes hard to stand there and act as a representive, I know , that''s what they pay me for. Many of us are looking elsewhere for work and until then we try to put on our best effort, and once in a while that feeling of hopelessness shows through.

----------------​
We witnessed the standard of excellence in Seattle last summer. US Airways employees were checking in passengers for 3 flights at the same time (PHL, PIT and CLT) and passengers were lined up all over the place. Then, one of the agents asked passengers to use one line for each flight. I was amazed at how quickly everyone got checked in.

Flight Attendants on transatlantic wear a name tag under thier wings. The incident descibed above was on Express, and most of those F/As tend to wear thier IDs around thier neck.

----------------
On 7/7/2003 9:51:50 AM Light Years wrote:

Flight Attendants on transatlantic wear a name tag under thier wings. The incident descibed above was on Express, and most of those F/As tend to wear thier IDs around thier neck.

----------------​
Bad move imho.
Im nervous about wearing the choke chain...er, I mean tie.

----------------
On 7/2/2003 7:41:50 PM PineyBob wrote:

----------------
On 7/2/2003 7:31:10 PM OldGuyinPA wrote:

Stuff it Crystal Palace. Morale and pride gone. You don't care, why should we.

----------------​
Why? How about your own standard of excellence. If I go through the motions then they have broken my spirit. Do you really want to let them defeat you? They can take your wages and your health & retirement plans but they can only take your dignity if YOU allow them and why would you ever allow that?

I understand how difficult what I just said can be. I try in my feeble way when I fly to thank the folks I meet every step of the way just hown much I value their efforts. I can't tell you how many times I've said "I know you're getting hosed and I truly appreciate your efforts". That bittersweet smile I often get in return gets a similar one in return. Please don't let this break you!

----------------​
Piney Bob,

Thanks for trying to make things a little better with your words of wisdom. Especially from a customer. I can tell you take great pride with your favorite airline, especially because of the employees. I myself am a furloughed mechanic hoping for a recall one day to a happy airline. Other than our hard nose "labor friendly" executives, bean counters, etc,
the true reason US Airways still exists is because of a bunch of dedicated, pride driven, loyal employees. The labor force of US Airways are simply excellent. I wish I can say that about our top executives and some of our management. Keep flying us.

My name(tag) says Bob also

flyin2low,

It was a company ID badge that the man tore-off. I believe the F/A had it clipped (backwards as some employees do ) to her uniform and not on a neck-chain. I imagine that Mr. "AirRage" wanted her name, but something as simple as asking for it must not have crossed his mind.

PineyBob

I believe the Feds will initially put the full court press on this guy, but in the end it will probably be downgraded to a hefty fine and possibly restricting his ability to travel commercially by air. I was contacted Thursday afternoon by the FBI and told that they would be sending someone to interview me and get my account of the incident. I''ll post more if anything becomes of this....

UsPerfEngr

As a trans-atl f/a, we are not to wear our name tags anymore. Why? The company said it is a cost saving measure...they don''t have to make them for people new to the international division. I still wear mine...says "Dick" on it. There''s gonna be at least one on every trip, anyway...it might as well be me. Smiles everyone, smiles...