Net System Monitors Plane Health

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
Net system monitors plane health

By Pallab Ghosh
BBC science correspondent

The system will save time on the ground
The US plane maker Boeing has developed a new system for identifying potential faults while aircraft are in the air.
It should give engineers early notice of problems and let them start their repairs as soon as a flight has landed.

Airlines would call up their planes on the internet to monitor performance and check indicators against a database held at Boeing's Seattle headquarters.

The company says the system, which will launch in April, should significantly reduce the delays faced by passengers.

With the tight turnaround now demanded of aircraft, Boeing believes its advanced health management (AHM) system will prove a big hit with the airline industry.

Bob Manelski, who helped develop it, told the BBC: "The idea of the system is to make better use of the data that's available; to make better operational decisions and do maintenance in a more proactive fashion; so that we leave on time, you experience fewer delays and you make your connecting flights on time.

Future designs

"If in the first hour of the flight I have that information, I know what that fault is, I know what the capability is at the destination.

"I can prepare people with the right parts and the right equipment, so when the aeroplane arrives I am simply repairing the fault - rather than waiting for the aeroplane to arrive and finding the right people, understanding what the problem is and then going across the airport to the stores department."

Mr Manelski says the system draws on the experience of 9m flights and highlights how particular faults have been best dealt with in the past.

This has been built into a huge historical database which can be mined by engineers.

"With that immense amount of history we can understand what the failure means and what the most effective way would be of correcting that failure.

"In addition the tool has the ability to learn from experience. As parts are upgraded, for example, it tells you the most effective fix changes."

The AHM system has been on trial with three major airlines since November and Boeing says it has unquestionably reduced repair times flight delays for passengers.

The plan eventually is to gather continuous information from hundreds of aeroplanes.

The system, Boeing says, has the potential to be much more than just a fault diagnosis tool and could eventually be used as research and development aid on future plane design.

Full Story

Buck said:
And the reduction in the number of mechanics required. And you CIO are promoting this?
Sure, thats the TWUs next industry leading concession. Get rid of all but a few A&P mechanics on the line, like they have been doing at overhaul, as soon as they get FAR 66 through, and let the company issue their own non-transferrable FAA certificates. The airplane will tell you which part to change and the A&P, who will probably be management will only have to backcheck RII items.

That would be the TWUs final blow to the profession of A&P mechanics. Art Luby could help "sell" it with legal doublespeak. "Er ah, you really should not be concerned because it will only be through system attrition on a pro grata ratio based upon the weighted average of the contributions of the organization to AL&SH (Art Luby and Sonny Hall)fund and total employment within the contract group. The effect of which is, of course, of an undentifiyable intangible sum. So you see there is really nothing for you to worry about."

First B-scale, than the Junior program, next SRP-now OSM, in the future AHM. twu has signed off on the AHM pending whether they can collect dues from the AHM.

I want you to see where the report came from, www.the-mechanic.com
Now look when I posted the thread? I have made no comment one way or the other on this item, now look at the Amfa wantabes? One of their own posted the info. Now you all, who put the shoe in their mouth?

Received: 02/15/04 20:03:41 EST
Name: Observer
E-Mail:
Employer: UAL
Heard today that Lufty hired our 3rd party cleaners and one day later fired them!!!They went to a reputiable established service which costs much more???Probably not on bottom line. Was talking to AMT whose brother has a high position at another company and he was telling him about our 3rd party deals, his remark was his company found out about using 3rd parties a long time ago..Not worth it!!!!Recent action to get a misrigged 737 to fly straight, shim the flaps....way to go you know OOO!!! Now we don't use our own info, seems some slam flam outfit tested a RAT in flight and it didn't work. Airbus claims the blue system wasn't bled properly. UAL tests its RAT's on the ground and on a regular basis but,honest ABE now says we have to bleed per mm for every job. Oh what great examples we are going to follow. Anyone for overhauls on the line???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The US plane maker Boeing has developed a new system for identifying potential faults while aircraft are in the air.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Received: 02/15/04 20:40:02 EST
Name: SWAT
E-Mail:
Employer: SWA

Buck said:
So are you advocated this?

Yes Buck, we are advocating this just like we advocated UAL getting pushed into bankruptcy, or like we advocated the outsourcing numbers at NWA ar like we are so diligently advocating amfa.

What the hell is wrong with you?? We are trying to preserve our profession not deplete it.

Obviously an amfa mindset there Buck!!

At what point are you willing to stop cutting wages and benefits?

After you respond with what about AMFA at wherever, could answer this concerning the TWU at American?

WHY OH WHY did this have to turn into a union pissing contest?? How about an honest disscusion on the technology? This system could potentially eliminate a few jobs here and there but isn't that a function of technology anyway? if this thing works like they say it will (and it will) delays will be a thing of the past. As an avionics troubleshooter, I can see all kinds of possibliltys with this system...on a gripe that only happens in the air-"what happened when you tried this??" the blank stare is always priceless. now you can ask questions and get answers, and trouble shoot much better. as for A&P's turning into mindless parts changers---look around and see how many already are.

Latest posts