US upgrade new fiber optic in-flight entertainment system

Shouldn't we offer something that caters to our customers rather than these high tech doohickies? How on earth are Ma & Pa kettle gonna know how to use those fancy seat-back TV's without a remote control or those big metal dials?

etch_a_sketch.jpg

istockphoto_464898_ball_and_paddle.jpg

and now featuring...

INFLIGHT TWISTER!

HB4645.jpg

I do not think US is getting the panasonic system. I seem to recall that the system will come from a new vendor. Thus the prototype flying instead of outright release.

I just flew on EVA and they had touch screens, no problem. They have had them for over a year, and they all looked fine to me.

Uhh, an airplane is full of germs anyway, I doubt the addition of touch screen TV's would make a difference....

I think this is a positive step! Cool....

I know....it is a positive step....

I hate ATM machines too....... Any electronic thing (like touch screen, public phones, ATM) that people have to touch and NEVER gets cleaned just grosses me out!! :up:

<SNIP> Given the choice, I think I would choose a new generation IFE entertainment system over the ability to connect to the internet. I don't think my company will self-destruct if I am unreachable for a few hours, although you'd think otherwise by some of the e-mails marked "urgent." ;)
KL has a pretty nice on-demand IFE system, but one flight across the pond and I’ve pretty much watched or listened to anything that would be of interest to me for that month. I guess my entertainment threshold is different than most. They have some interactive games that you can play with the other PAX.

Hey, maybe Tempe could add video poker just like what their putting in the US Airways Clubs!

Any electronic thing (like touch screen, public phones, ATM) that people have to touch and NEVER gets cleaned just grosses me out!! :up:
Better put a shower cap over the TV remote in your hotel room then…

Wouldn't it just be easier if the sand castle decided to install Etch a' sketchs with duct tape on the seat backs? Pretty cost effective huh? :lol:

Wouldn't it just be easier if the sand castle decided to install Etch a' sketchs with duct tape on the seat backs? Pretty cost effective huh? :lol:

Umm, it must have been a long time since you used an etch a sketch. You flip them upside down and shake to clear the screen.

As fare as IFE goes, I'd be happy if they simply installed a USB power port to charge my ipod. I usually download my own movies and TV shows before a trip. The Ipod video uses up a lot of its battery power watching video though. Also if they added Wifi I could use my ipod touch and get online. That keeps me occupied on a flight.

I read that United is going to upgrade to IFE that allows people to import songs from their ipods. So many people have them and they are by far the most popular mp3 player format. If I could leave my battery backup pack behind that would be nice.

How about a condom dispenser in the lav and a pinball machine in the galley? From what I am reading here people expect to be flying in an ARCADE.

I’m a naysayer on this idea … wow seat back IFE’s that would be SO revolutionary 5 or 10 years ago… but today it’s 2007 , soon to be 2008 … who can’t afford a 300 dollar laptop that plays DVD’s ? Who doesn’t have enough brains to log onto the pirate bay and download enough to fill up their hard drives? With the advent of IPODs that play movies and TV shows , what do we need seat back entertainment for ? I can see a lot of in-flight anger as one passenger starts screaming at another not to adjust their seat so much because they cant see the movie . Personally I’d prefer a power outlet so I don’t have to worry about my laptop dying mid-flight .As for in-flight internet , only if it’s at least DSL speed , and then as some of the other posters mentioned few would pay for it anyhow ..

EDIT: hmm on second thought , my point of view here is a very male one , because I don’t see that many women use laptops or watch IPOD tv during a flight … so maybe this might be more appealing to them …

US needs it cause the competitors have it. If ticket prices are the same, the service has to be equal or greater than your competitors. (something US has not learned yet)

That simple enough to understand?

That is not the point.

Lets see should I fly US with no inflight entertainment, dirty planes, nasty food or should I fly Jetblue, Virgin America who's service is light years ahead of US'.

Even UA, AA, DL and NW have been upgrading their planes, have inflight entertainment or in the process of installing it.

You have to have a level of service better or equal to your competitors, otherwise you fail.

Simple business facts, too hard to comprehend?

You have to make a passenger's experience on US as good as it competitors since all domestic fares are basically equal amongst the airlines.

Does anyone have the pic of the paper movie screen on the 767?

And perhaps you didn’t comprehend my point , in that the proposed IFE’s might be going the way of the dinosaur …. Wouldn’t It make more sense to have a power outlet in each seat back , I don’t know if it’s doable or not thou …

Are you thinking 5 or 8 years down the road , or are you only thinking about today’s environment ?

Hmm I’m going to make an IFE poll and lets see what the people want ….

They are not going the way of the dinosaur, airlines are going out of their way to install them or upgrade them.

You dont grasp simple business processes, you have to offer the same or better product of your competition, otherwise why would fliers choose your airline for their money?

You have to keep the passengers happy so they return.

If you used your thought process, why buy a new plane, heck in 10 years something better will come out, your thought process is not logical.

Latest posts