New AA Fleet numbers: LAA or LUS method ?

Kev3188 said:
Not for nothing, I've never heard the term "nose number" at NW or DL. It's either the "tail number" (eg, 31xx for an A319, 63xx for a 747, etc.) or the N-number...

Where on the airplane does this number appear?  "Nose number" makes sense, as that's where they put it.  "Tail Number" or "N Number" (all aircraft registered in this country start with "N") is the FAA registration number, normally on the aft fuselage.

I'm looking at some DL pics right now.  They all have the "N Number" (FAA registration) on the aft fuselage, along with a flag.  Those with the gear down have numbers (683 on a 757 I'm looking at) on the nose gear door.

MK

kirkpatrick said:
Where on the airplane does this number appear?  "Nose number" makes sense, as that's where they put it.  "Tail Number" or "N Number" (all aircraft registered in this country start with "N") is the FAA registration number, normally on the aft fuselage.

I'm looking at some DL pics right now.  They all have the "N Number" (FAA registration) on the aft fuselage, along with a flag.  Those with the gear down have numbers (683 on a 757 I'm looking at) on the nose gear door.

MK
Look at the top of the tail, there should be 4 numbers up there. I've always called it a ship or aircraft number, but I've heard everything from tail to nose number as well...in DLs case I can understand why it's called a tail number. That's not to be confused with the registration or N number.

eolesen said:
Airlines have different interpretations of tail number....

Tail number = registration number, FAA controlled & assigned

Nose number = fleet or ship number, internally control & assigned

AA currently displays the nose number/fleet number/ship number on the nose gear doors, and immediately under the registration in smaller letters. They also used to have it next to the forward cargo doors so it was visible to the loading crew (the nose doors aren't always visible).

Aft shot -- nose number under registration
www.airliners.net/photo/American-Airlines/Boeing-777-223-ER/1799501/

Forward shot -- nose number to right of fwd cargo door
http://www.airliners.net/photo/American-Airlines/McDonnell-Douglas-MD-82/0187241

AA first used nose/fleet/ship numbers which had no correlation to the last three of the registration number around 1990. The MD11 and F100 fleets were the first to get them from the start. The 757 fleet got them partway into the second batch of deliveries, as did the MD80s kept from TW.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/American-Airlines/McDonnell-Douglas-MD-11/0186133
right. 
At Delta its generally tail number/ship number is what some call the nose number. Its on the leading edge side of the tail also on the nose gear doors. We call N-numbers either N-number or registration but its pretty rare for a ship to be identified as such. Almost everything goes by ship number. (at least in maintenance, Kev would have the answer for ACS/ramp) 

Kev3188 said:
Not for nothing, I've never heard the term "nose number" at NW or DL. It's either the "tail number" (eg, 31xx for an A319, 63xx for a 747, etc.) or the N-number...
Its always been tail number or ship number at Delta. 

kirkpatrick said:

MK

Should be at the top of the tail. Leading edge side. 
Also on the gear doors. 

Delta is also doing the aircraft type on the nose just below the radome. 

I just think that whatever they come up with for the numbering system, an employee should be able to know what they're dealing with (what fleet type) just by looking at the number.  
  The US Airways system is a bit sloppy, the AA system is very defined.  You run out of numbers quickly with large fleets when the Tail/Nose/Ship/Fleet number is just 3 digits.  Eg 700-799 then 7AB-7ZZ goes a lot further

strangiatotheme said:

Sadly, even the decals under the nose aren't enough for some people.

img.jpg
That's how our AC type is displayed at UA. Under the nose it is widely displayed (ex: B737- series #).  We went to the sUA style of ship ID, but still if you are working a gate, you must know what type of AC is coming in so you can set up the gate properly. Your offload sheet has all the info: AC Type; what's coming off; type of commodities; etc.   Ramp 101.....   Also, we went to a hybrid aircraft numbering system. But all sUA birds are suffixed with "UA"; while the sCO birds just have numbers and no alphabetical suffix. I think now that all of the newer aircraft will have the "UA" suffix.

Now missed parks..........  time for the towbar and pushback on that one!!