what bases are most junior?
per diem?
length of RSV?
what are the training facilities like?
Should one become an FA at SWA?
New base rumors?
Thanks ;)

JUNIOR BASES:
SWA's most junior bases are BWI and OAK. Of the last 3 classes, probably 90% of those FA's were sent to BWI, while the rest were mostly sent to OAK, and a handfull to MDW.

PER DIEM:
Per Diem is $2.00/hour.

LENGTH OF RESERVE:
The length of time on Reserve varies from base to base. Can't tell you for sure, but in the more junior bases, you get off reserve in about 5 years. In the more senior bases, it's much longer. In Dallas, it takes about 20 years to get off reserve. I'm not joking.

TRAINING FACILITIES:
The training facilities are in Dallas. The training center is at Love Field aiport. Large classes (150+ per class) equalling little personal contact. We do have an Inflight simulator though now, which makes the emergency training much more realistic.

SHOULD ONE BECOME A SWA FA:
Depends. We're in a very heated contract battle. Newbies are coming onboard during turbulent times. If the FA's don't get some real Contract improvements, I have to tell you that I'm not sure I'd recommend coming on as a newbie. You'd most likely be based in BWI or OAK, and it's next to impossible surviving in either city on new hire pay. It's a great job if you can afford it.

NEW BASE RUMORS:
Haven't heard anything really... Folks have been talking about Vegas for years, but people have been talking about Colorado Springs for years and that hasn't happened either. For some reason, the Company likes to keep new bases a secret from the only people who really care... the employees who would like to be based there.

Do your homework, and good luck.

Thanks swagalleyhag for all the info. I actually have an interview date on May 19th and have been flipping a coin for a week or so trying to figure out
whether to go or not. The letter i received did say that more than likely
i would be based in BWI which is not to bad considering im already in CLT
but sure wouldn't like having to move to OAK.....talk about a distance!! :)
and well i know that all comes with the job.

I just dont' think i could make it on what you guys start out at. I must
admit the pay sucks and i agree in that who could afford to live in OAK or
BWI on that...without having 5 roomates of course.

The reserve system sounds as bad as usairs which is who i once flew for
before getting furloughed. I do miss flying and that is why i was considering going for an interivew but then keeping in the back of my mind what i would
do should i be accepted.

Thanks again for the info......

what airlines besides Jetblue do the FA's have a jumpseat agreement with?

Let me expound on the reserve issue quickly...

Our reserve system is a rotating system, so even though you will be on reserve for 5+ years, you don't sit every month.

Here's how it works:

The bottom 65% of the seniority list share the Reserve burden. So you may sit for a month every two or three months. The execption to this is when we're in a hiring mode. Probationaries sit their entire probation on Reserve (except for their first month where they are assigned a line). So when you're based in the base that they send all of the new hires, you will not sit reserve often as the reserve is sat by them.

As for jumpseating, the only airline I know of who extends us jumpseating priveleges is JetBlue. Southwest doesn't allow anyone else on our jumpseat, so I actually don't blame the other carriers for not extending us privileges.

Hope this helps.

swagalleyhag said:
Probationaries sit their entire probation on Reserve (except for their first month where they are assigned a line). So when you're based in the base that they send all of the new hires, you will not sit reserve often as the reserve is sat by them.

So are you saying that while on probation....Which is 6 months??......that you will have a block the first month and then after that you pretty much sit the rest of the probation period because they dont use you? If so....thats not good. Ive sat before for a month when i first stared with usair and with out the perdiem you don't make anything. hmmm thanks ;)

Fly said:
I have a friend who flys for JetBlue...she said they rarely, if never, put new hires in FLL.
You request it during training .. if theres a spot, you go .. otherwise you bid for it each quarter. Theres always openings in each base of people wanting to change (since you only have to stay at a base 3 mths). Plus next year when we get E190 bases, therell be a lot more choice and fluxuation.