Red-eyes?

ngneer

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
I don't know if it means anything, but I found the following in the AP report on the FA labor pact interesting:

Flight attendants would also get incentives including productivity pay, red-eye pay, training pay for new hires and an increase in per-diem pay to match pilots.

Is that just standard contract language or does it mean red-eyes are on the horizon? Were red-eye incentives included in prior agreements?

In the TA highlights document, the red-eye pay is listed as a "union gain." I don't know if WN has scheduled red-eye flights or not, but if they are scheduled, the union has covered that eventuality with contract language.

If any flight is scheduled to depart between 2300 and 0300 or to arrive between 0100 and 0500 OR is scheduled to depart before 2300 and arrive after 0500, it is defined as a red-eye and the extra pay kicks in. The word scheduled is important here. A flight that meets those criteria due to a delay of some sort would probably not qualify for the extra pay.

I hope that SWA gets in to the red-eye flights, especially the coast-to-coast ones. A have been on some packed flight leaving at midnight that were heading East and I think SWA could do well in some selected markets. Just my thoughts.........

ngneer said:
I don't know if it means anything, but I found the following in the AP report on the FA labor pact interesting:

Flight attendants would also get incentives including productivity pay, red-eye pay, training pay for new hires and an increase in per-diem pay to match pilots.

Is that just standard contract language or does it mean red-eyes are on the horizon? Were red-eye incentives included in prior agreements?
I think the AP reporter may have mis-read the TA...which is easy enough to do. It's almost 250 pages long and I'm still in the process of wading through it. The complete TA that was released to us is essentially a draft copy of the current contract annotated to reflect the new TA. The language that will change is still in the contract but with a line through it indicating that it will be removed. The new language is underlined. If you don't read through it carefully or are not familiar with the old contract it's tough to tell the difference. By all appearances the "red eye" language is actually being removed. If it is indeed staying, I wouldn't read too much into it since it essentially falls into the category of "just in case" along with the language on meal service, merqers and acquistions, aircraft other than the 737, and international service all of which have been in the contract for years.

SWAFA30 said:
If it is indeed staying, I wouldn't read too much into it since it essentially falls into the category of "just in case" along with the language on meal service, merqers and acquistions, aircraft other than the 737, and international service all of which have been in the contract for years.
It is listed in the TA highlights document put out by the union as a "union gain." I assumed it was an addition to the contract, but I still thought it was a "just in case we ever decide to do this" type addition.

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't think the red-eye language came about because red-eyes are necessarily on the horizon at SWA (they may be - but I haven't heard anything about it), but instead I think it was an effort to clean up some worthless/obsolete language in our new TA.

Our current red-eye language only paid if the trip checks-in after a certain time (I think it's 8:00 PM). But if SW decided to add red-eye flights, they would likely tie them onto the end of a late afternoon or early evening PM check-in, which would be before 8:00 PM. Then, if you did a red-eye, you wouldn't get the pay for it simply because you checked in earlier than the cut-off time. This makes the pay kick in to reward the actual flying, rather than the check-in.

If SW does add red-eyes, I think they will be very popular with commuting Pilots and FAs.

txskygal said:
B)

Hi, I think one of the things y'all are forgetting about is charter service! Unscheduled; but lots of night flying!
I just figured the senior mamas and daddies making double time working those charters wouldn't care about the extra $1 per TFP they would get in red eye pay.

Maybe there are some red-eyes on the horizon, and soon. SWA has not released their schedule past OCT 29. It is July 12 and that leads me to believe that there is something in the works. There are only about 105 days worth of reservations available. There could be a new city???????????

Latest posts

Back