New "Hold" Option on AA.com

Jester

Veteran
Sep 12, 2007
Formerly PHry Town
the schedule look up is different as well - looks closer to US look-up not the same however more similar

This program has been rolled out very slowly - AA was experimenting with it in Los Angeles more than four years ago. I bought an extended hold for 5 days for $7/ticket in mid-2011. Good to see it expanded. Offering customers different options for different fees is a very good idea. One-size fits all policies may not be revenue-maximizing.

How does this affect ED20? 

Is there a free option to hold for 24 hours?

Can you use the 7 day hold to purchase and ED20? (I'm assuming that you can)

thanks!

IIRC, AAdvantage used to offer a hold for seven days for free.

No option for just 24 hours as far as I can see, but thanks to government interference, you should have the right to cancel any ticketed reservation within 24 hours of purchase.

Why would you want to hold an ED20? Planning to hold a reservation and see if the flights fall apart? Don't see why not, but then you start getting sideways with the policy that prohibits you from holding a revenue booking for a flight you plan to nonrev on (even if it's not ticketed, you still hold a booking...).

eolesen said:

No option for just 24 hours as far as I can see, but thanks to government interference, you should have the right to cancel any ticketed reservation within 24 hours of purchase.

Why would you want to hold an ED20? Planning to hold a reservation and see if the flights fall apart? Don't see why not, but then you start getting sideways with the policy that prohibits you from holding a revenue booking for a flight you plan to nonrev on (even if it's not ticketed, you still hold a booking...).

Thanks, and questions are from someone who's never purchased and ED20. My understanding is that the first step was to hold the price with the 24 hour hold, then call reservations to get the 20% discount applied and to make payment.

I'm assuming that there isn't any way to purchase the ED20 online, is that correct?

eolesen said:
I think award tickets still get a five day free hold. A multi-day hold for free seems very generous these days. Wonder why award tickets ever got a free seven day hold?

eolesen said:
The free 24 hour hold is still available - the extended holds are an additional option.

Another question, not related to the hold option. Sorry for being off track..

So if a person is listed using a D1, then is 'asked' to occupy an empty flight deck jump seat..

Does that person still get charged for the D1?

Justme said:
Another question, not related to the hold option. Sorry for being off track..

So if a person is listed using a D1, then is 'asked' to occupy an empty flight deck jump seat..

Does that person still get charged for the D1?
Yes!

eolesen said:

It's there.  I've used it twice in the past month to hold a reservation for 24 hours.  You need to make a reservation and get to the point of paying, at which point you're asked if you want to pay now or hold for 24 hours.  (Unless all of this changed in the last few days, that is.)