New Marketing Campaign for NYC, ORD and LAX "Going for Great"

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
http://www.briansumers.com/home/2014/10/11/american-airlines-has-new-tagline-for-la-nyc-and-chicago-going-for-great

"These cities are highly competitive, fragmented markets, and we have a fantastic product to share with our customers and potential customers," Fernandez said. " Our competitors are active advertisers in these cities. By not having a voice, our competitors are, in essence, telling our story for us. But we’re ready to tell it ourselves and show them all the great things happening at American."

Judging from the Q and A in the employee newsletter, American will use the campaign to highlight some of its newer and refurbished aircraft, such as the Airbus A321T on coast-to-coast routes and the Boeing 777-300ER and 777-200s flying internationally.

I thought USAIR didn't believe in having marketing/advertising of any sort. Before the merger when did you see advertising of any sort for USAIR?

Josh

• Banned
More flamebait from you, seems you need a vacation in the cornfield.

Not flamebait point is before the merger USAIR didn't market/advertise while AA did extensively through a variety of channels. How is that a flamebait?

Josh

What difference does it make whether it is or is not flamebait?  The whole thing is a waste of money and time.  Does anyone really believe that the A321Ts can compete with DL's refurbished MD80s and 90s?  DL put all new slipcovers on the seats.  And, they are thinking about adding Wi-Fi.  Just the thought of that dooms AA to failure in NYC.   :lol:

hyperbole DOES suit you, doesn't it?

AA's 321Ts compete with DL's 763ERs and 757s, not M80s and 90s.

And DL's entire mainline and large RJ fleet has Wifi NOW. Int'l Wifi is being installed on the fleet as we speak.

since you mentioned it, perhaps you can tell us the percentage of AA's domestic fleet that has WiFi and the percent of int'l fleet that has lie flat business class seats and AVOD throughout the WHOLE aircraft.

THAT is the product difference using your criteria that AA and DL compete with from NYC. what you didn't mention is a lot less cancellations and higher on-time percentage.

as for the ad campaign, go for it, AA.

WorldTraveler said:
hyperbole DOES suit you, doesn't it?

AA's 321Ts compete with DL's 763ERs and 757s, not M80s and 90s.

And DL's entire mainline and large RJ fleet has Wifi NOW. Int'l Wifi is being installed on the fleet as we speak.

since you mentioned it, perhaps you can tell us the percentage of AA's domestic fleet that has WiFi and the percent of int'l fleet that has lie flat business class seats and AVOD throughout the WHOLE aircraft.

THAT is the product difference using your criteria that AA and DL compete with from NYC. what you didn't mention is a lot less cancellations and higher on-time percentage.

as for the ad campaign, go for it, AA.
Wrong. DLs international fleet does NOT. I believe some of the 744s do but I won't be flying one anytime soon.

Josh

because you won't be flying a DL 744 doesn't make my statement incorrect that Int'l Wifi is being installed on the fleet.

Dawg or others can jump in with the schedule but it will extend to more than the 744s within months.

how about you instead answer the question about what percentage of AA's domestic fleet including RJs has WiFi, what percentage has lie flat seats thruout, and what percentage of their int'l coach seats have AVOD?

and specific to the transcon comparison which Jim started, DL has a lie flat business class product on every JFK-LAX flight, AVOD and Wifi thruout the aircraft. JFK-SFO will be done in a couple months. For now, AA has a better amenities package on JFK-SFO - and yet in the most recently quarter, DL carried 50% more revenue in the JFK-SFO market than AA did - and received higher average fares as well.

DOT data for the 2nd quarter should be out within the next couple weeks and it will certainly be interesting to see how share and revenue is changing in NYC, LAX, and CHI post merger.

BTW, US airline stocks are having a really bad Monday - down 5-8% even though oil prices are at near 3 year lows.

dont know bout DL but UAL has commericals out in which theyre advertising they are putting WIFI on all of their INTL flights

737823 said:
I thought USAIR didn't believe in having marketing/advertising of any sort. Before the merger when did you see advertising of any sort for USAIR?

Josh

It's easy to miss but if you look very closely you'll see that in this case the marketing/advertising is for the AA brand and not US.

ChockJockey said:
It's easy to miss but if you look very closely you'll see that in this case the marketing/advertising is for the AA brand and not US.
Correct. US brand is being phased out over the next 12-18 months. If you look at the markets USAIR has served they generally lack significant competition so there was less of a need
to market aggressively like AA has done in NYC, CHI, and LAX. My point is with USAIR management largely running AA this is new to them.

Josh

WorldTraveler said:
because you won't be flying a DL 744 doesn't make my statement incorrect that Int'l Wifi is being installed on the fleet.Dawg or others can jump in with the schedule but it will extend to more than the 744s within months.how about you instead answer the question about what percentage of AA's domestic fleet including RJs has WiFi, what percentage has lie flat seats thruout, and what percentage of their int'l coach seats have AVOD?and specific to the transcon comparison which Jim started, DL has a lie flat business class product on every JFK-LAX flight, AVOD and Wifi thruout the aircraft. JFK-SFO will be done in a couple months. For now, AA has a better amenities package on JFK-SFO - and yet in the most recently quarter, DL carried 50% more revenue in the JFK-SFO market than AA did - and received higher average fares as well.DOT data for the 2nd quarter should be out within the next couple weeks and it will certainly be interesting to see how share and revenue is changing in NYC, LAX, and CHI post merger.BTW, US airline stocks are having a really bad Monday - down 5-8% even though oil prices are at near 3 year lows.
I have no interest flying DL to Asia when I can fly CX, NH, JL, or SQ. Obviously given your pass privliges you stick to DL because a BE seat is the best you can enjoy if you are lucky as a non rev. With the 744 leaving TLV no reason to fly DL when I can take LX/LY through ZRH.

As for AA entire mainline domestic fleet is Gogo equipped. 772s 763s and 75Ls operate a few domestic routes and lack wifi but the vast majority of domestic flights consistent offer wifi and inseat power. On the regional side the YX E75s are slated to get wifi. The entire US E70/75 fleet is wifi equipped and has been for years.

The 77W has AVOD and the 772s are being retrofitted along with the US 330s which are already AVOD equipped.

Flat bed seats are on the 77Ws and US 330s and being retrofitted to the 772 and 763.

Josh

dont know bout DL but UAL has commericals out in which theyre advertising they are putting WIFI on all of their INTL flights

All 3 of the big US airlines will have satellite WiFi on their int'l fleets. DL, like UA, is actively installing them. You can assemble list of what has what but no one is even close to half way done.

I have no interest flying DL to Asia when I can fly CX, NH, JL, or SQ. Obviously given your pass privliges you stick to DL because a BE seat is the best you can enjoy if you are lucky as a non rev. With the 744 leaving TLV no reason to fly DL when I can take LX/LY through ZRH.

As for AA entire mainline domestic fleet is Gogo equipped. 772s 763s and 75Ls operate a few domestic routes and lack wifi but the vast majority of domestic flights consistent offer wifi and inseat power. On the regional side the YX E75s are slated to get wifi. The entire US E70/75 fleet is wifi equipped and has been for years.

The 77W has AVOD and the 772s are being retrofitted along with the US 330s which are already AVOD equipped.

Flat bed seats are on the 77Ws and US 330s and being retrofitted to the 772 and 763.

Josh
I can't tell you (actually I could but I will not) how many business class seats I have occupied during my DL career but I can absolutely say that there is not a thing inferior about DL's product or the service provided nor do I feel the least like I have "settled" to fly DL vs. any other option.

DL has 100% lie flat, direct aisle business elite seats on its widebody int'l fleet with the 757 int'l fleet to be finished by next summer. No other airline can make a comparable claim. esp. since UA does not have direct aisle in some of its renovated business class cabins.

I have been incredibly well treated by DL and did my part to make sure that other employees receive even more of what has made DL an outstanding company from an employer benefit perspective.

I also had a key role in maximizing DL's revenues in some of the most important markets on its system, including ones we regularly talk about.

I am certain there are AA people who are just as loyal to AA and have been as well treated.

the equalizing factor is what happens on the financial statements where personal emotions and preferences don't matter.

On the most commonly and widely accepted financial bases, DL is running a superior airline and business and is being rewarded for it.

that is not to say that AA won't achieve the same level or even pass DL, but that is not the current reality.

Keep telling yourself DL is the best I guess you haven't flown SQ A380 Suites class, ANA Square first product or Lufthansa First and been served Krug and Dom instead of Cava or Prosecco on DL. Yes for a US carrier DL has a solid offering but I vote with my money (really my clients money) and demand to travel on foreign carriers whenever possible. I override our booking portal all the time, we aren't supposed but no one ever says anything and if the company can't provide my suitable travel arrangements I just won't go. And the DL 757 product is not and will not be direct aisle access.

Josh

I didn't tell you that DL is the best; I know full well that there are other carriers that offer a lot more pizzazz.

What DL has done better than any of its US carrier peers is match the product to what makes money.

If you really worked for JP Morgan, you would understand profit motivated companies. Since we really have no idea who you are, I'm not sure if we should have any expectation that you understand anything.

while you take your money and spend it on foreign companies, I support Americans and American business whenever I can.

again, feel free to compare how well each company is doing after the next round of earnings results are announced.

And that comparison should also include the Asian airlines, most of whom will not report financial results as strong - even on a scaled basis - as DL, or even AA, will report.

Back