New Ord-ngo Starts April 3, 2005

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Although this has been mentioned in passing in several threads, it is in the Japanese press and on the Japanese version of AA.com today:

American to fly Chicago-Chubu route

Tuesday, October 19, 2004 at 11:50 JST

NAGOYA — American Airlines said Tuesday it will launch daily, nonstop flights between Chicago and the soon-to-be-opened Chubu Centrair International Airport located near Nagoya next April.

The service, which will use a 236-seater Boeing 777-200ER, will be the first by the biggest U.S. carrier to the Chubu region in central Japan. American currently flies between five U.S. cities and Narita International Airport, near Tokyo. (Kyodo News)

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=3&id=315966

http://www.aal.co.jp/news/20041019T59.html

Great news - this is AA's first service ever to NGO, right?

Nagoya is a route long tried by many - and they all end up pulling out. The last carrier to have any marked, albeit weak success with this route was America West, back in the late 80s when they had their daily 747 service PHX/HNL/NGO. As I recall their first class service was stunning! They eventually had to abandon the market when the profits just wouldn't come, and Desert Storm took their 47s out of the market too long. That gave Singapore, China Air and Japan Airlines enough time to get a foothold on the HNL/NGO market, advance-booking away any hopes HP may have had to return to the route.

I'm not familiar with the Nagoya market anymore, and really have no idea how, if at all, it's popularity as destination Japan has changed, but nonstop from Chicago still seems like a risk, unless there is a nice, fat cargo contract to back up the empty seats. This may start as a daily, but I'm betting they end up finding 3-4x week more palatable.

WingNaPrayer said:
Nagoya is a route long tried by many - and they all end up pulling out. The last carrier to have any marked, albeit weak success with this route was America West, back in the late 80s when they had their daily 747 service PHX/HNL/NGO.
[post="192522"][/post]​

Wing, we are not in the 80's anymore ;) As you see more and more Dubaya outsoursing these days, Asia is the place for airlines to expand. Capice?

No, I don't "capice". My point was that Nagoya wasn't really a hot destination at that time, (and I knew the market well having flown it twice a month for a year and a half) and I am not sure it is today either, especially since most of the high tech companies such as Hewlett Packard and Intel have ceased operations in that area, (most likely in favor of say . . . India?).

But again, I admit, since I haven't flown that route in more than a decade, I'm not familiar with what might be there now. Admittedly, something must be going on for a new airport to be under construction. While I would think that a west coast non-stop might become a hit, I'm just not sure about Chicago. I guess we'll all just have to keep our fingers crossed. I hope AA thrives in that badly underserved market - but for now, I don't see a daily being successful. Maybe a split week with non-stops every other day, and the rest with stop-overs in HNL, which wouldn't be bad either. I don't know anyone who wouldn't enjoy a no-fee stop-over in Hawaii.

In any event, AA will clearly have the nicer tin in that market. Those aging 47s that other carriers use are no match for the style and comfort of the 77s.

Are you serious? Those "aging" 47's seem to knock people out. I fly the 777 over there and people always seemed disappointed that it isn't the 47. Have you ever flown in it? It's awesome. Most people LOVE the 47.

Clearly the 77 has a larger forward cabin. What are the 47s limited to, about 14 or so? The seats and layout of a 77 is just so much nicer, IMHO.

I like the 47s just fine, but if I had my choice, I'd get on the newer tin.

I think part of the fascination is that it holds so many premium seats. There are 73 business class seats. It gives the premier flyer much better odds of getting a good seat (and they love sitting upstairs because it's quiet)

Heck, I'd take either, as long as I didn't have to work that day. :p

This won't be Nagoya's only non-stop service to the midwest. Northwest operates DTW-NGO on a daily basis. The flight does well thanks to the auto industry (Nagoya is the "Detroit of Japan"). Nagoya has seen a lot of expansion lately. CO is adding NGO-HNL, UA is adding NGO-SFO, and now AA on NGO-ORD.

NGO/LAX makes a lot of sense seeing that Toyota and Honda have their US headquarters there. Does anybody fly that?

One reason you see a lot of new service to NGO is the new airport. Includes rail links to Tokyo and Osaka, and all points 'tween. Much more viable than the old airport.

Former ModerAAtor said:
One reason you see a lot of new service to NGO is the new airport. Includes rail links to Tokyo and Osaka, and all points 'tween. Much more viable than the old airport.
[post="192743"][/post]​
Are these the 2 destinations you spoke of? Can we expect others?

FA Mikey said:
Are these the 2 destinations you spoke of? Can we expect others?
[post="192764"][/post]​
They're the two that were firm enough for Garton and Arpey to mention at the conference. And it's safe to say that there are other routes (not necessarily new destinations) being considered for Summer 2005.

Today's Q3 report (2PM EST) should give a few hints as to what the company is financially able to get involved in as far as new routes go.

Personally, I expect them to announce cut-backs-a-plenty in the domestic markets, to include parking aircraft and sizeable RIFs. But then, I'm always a pessimist when it comes to AMR.

Latest posts