Next week will be important...but the airline should survive

usfliboi, Good idea! Perhaps the company could set up an account that concerned employees could donate to. It would be like the funds that a couple of governors set up, so that people who felt like they were not taxed enough could donate to--very few donated. That would be fair and it would be therapy for those who are REALLY scared. Do you think there would be many takers?
11.gif']

Re: outsourcing/pension
Someone mentioned cargo being outsourced....to the best of my knowledge all have already been outsourced but 3 or 4 stations. These apparently they could not find anyone who would handle...would cost more than they would make.
Pension plan? What pension plan? As a fleet service agent...mine was raped then frozen years ago. All I have now is frozen plan and 401K.
(Maybe Medicade later on)
15.gif']

I have now had 5 days to digest the events of last week. No matter what anyone in management tells me IMHO the closing of my office and the TPA hanger was nothing more than management payback to the labor groups of CWA and IAM and also used to send a message to the other labor groups. Read Dave's letter carefully...remember what said when we all were going through concessions talks a few months ago. Dave gets what he wants. I for one did not want a management/labor confrontation at that time, but it looks now that management has drawn the line in the sand. Some might think that what the company wants is negotiable, but I think otherwise. I for one have no problem giving 5pct when we do go to war(if you want to call it that) with Iraq. RSA is requesting protection for their investment and who can blame them for that. The other stuff that management wants from the CWA group simply is unacceptable. Aog points out the technology issue and has hit the nail right on the head. But does technology actually save money in the long term? It does for the short term and will be interesting to see if it actually does. It is well known from comments from CCY how they feel about my labor group. Overpaid. Ironic coming from those who have never ever done my job. So far I have not made the choice of whether to transfer or take the furlough and will wait to make the final choice by Weds. To the other groups who have also gotten the wish list from management all I can say is good luck...I know it is hard to go with out something that you had negioated in the past, but at least you had the chance to negotiate. It has been well documented from previous posts during the concession talks that some groups did not have a say in the matter during the 1990s. I for one am getting extremely tired from getting these letters and requests from management for further concessions no matter what the reason. Amazing that all groups are requested to chip in except for one group and we all know who that group is. What is the next request of further cutbacks going to be and what will be the cause of it???? Just simply UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!

What good is profit sharing if you are no longer employed due to labor friendly Dave wanting to outsource your job?[BR][BR]What good is profit sharing if the company is not expected to make a profit for over two years?

Piney Bob:

Pine Bob asked: Has senior management gone through Crystal City yet and completed two rounds of staff cuts?

Chip answers: Yes.

Will the company put profit sharing on the table in exchange for cuts/work rule changes?

Chip answers: Management's November 26 plan offers profit sharing. Specifically, the company offered "enhanced profit sharing" returns in exchange for participation in $200 million "modified restructuring program" as follows:

Any year in which pre-tax profits exceed 7 percent, 50 percent of such profits in excess of 7 percent will be distributed to participating employees.

-capped at 100 million

-program ceases at end of loan period

-50 percent paid as lump sum payments-50 percent paid to defined benefit pension plan above any minimum contribution requirements, but not in excess of maximum tax deductible contributions, under ERISA

Pre-tax defined as including extraordinary and one-time adjustments

Piney Bob asked: Has anyone from the Union side ever actually been allowed to look at the books?

Chip answers: Yes, in regard to ALPA the union had its financial advisors and ALPA International Economic & Financial Advisors review the books. In addition, all of the unions had the opportunity for its leaders and advisors to review the books. It is my understanding all of the labor leaders agree with the company's financial forecast and agree there is a financial problem.

Piney Bob asked: Will the company allow the various groups to form "Employee Involvement" Teams in order to REALLY INCREASE Productivity?

Chip answers: The restructuring agreements created a Labor Advisory Committee (LAC). Contract language said the parties shall form a LAC, consisting of one designee from ALPA, AFA, IAM, CWA, TWU and non-contract employees fro the purpose of addressing issues of common interest among all employees at US Airways. The LAC or its designees shall meet with senior management on at least a quarterly basis to discuss the Company's financial and operating results and its projections, plans, and strategies. The Company shall solicit, review, and incorporate the input from the LAC into its projections, plans and strategies. The LAC shall have the authority to request a special meeting at any time to discuss issues of mutual concern.

Chip

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/1/2002 11:12:28 PM chipmunn wrote:

To All parties

Pine Bob asked: Has senior management gone through Crystal City yet and completed two rounds of staff cuts?

Chip answers: Yes.

AOG-N-IT Replies...but at what levels Chip?...and was the desired affect achieved?...sure it was...it shed the company of staff positions...not staff officers

Will the company put profit sharing on the table in exchange for cuts/work rule changes?

Chip answers: Management's November 26 plan offers profit sharing. Specifically, the company offered "enhanced profit sharing" returns in exchange for participation in $200 million "modified restructuring program" as follows:

Any year in which pre-tax profits exceed 7 percent, 50 percent of such profits in excess of 7 percent will be distributed to participating employees.

-capped at 100 million

-program ceases at end of loan period

-50 percent paid as lump sum payments-50 percent paid to defined benefit pension plan above any minimum contribution requirements, but not in excess of maximum tax deductible contributions, under ERISA

Pre-tax defined as including extraordinary and one-time adjustments

AOG-N-IT Replies...Smoke and Mirrors for more binding verbage to be held hostage or re-negotiated at the companies needs or whim....This is simply an" Un-Safe Gamble"

Piney Bob asked: Has anyone from the Union side ever actually been allowed to look at the books?

Chip answers: Yes, in regard to ALPA the union had its financial advisors and ALPA International Economic & Financial Advisors review the books. In addition, all of the unions had the opportunity for its leaders and advisors to review the books. It is my understanding all of the labor leaders agree with the company's financial forecast and agree there is a financial problem.

AOG-N-IT Replies....and thier agreement with the companies figures accomplished exactly what?..or prepared it's paying members for exactly what? Right !! Giving more!!

Piney Bob asked: Will the company allow the various groups to form "Employee Involvement" Teams in order to REALLY INCREASE Productivity?

Chip answers: The restructuring agreements created a Labor Advisory Committee (LAC). Contract language said the parties shall form a LAC, consisting of one designee from ALPA, AFA, IAM, CWA, TWU and non-contract employees fro the purpose of addressing issues of common interest among all employees at US Airways. The LAC or its designees shall meet with senior management on at least a quarterly basis to discuss the Company's financial and operating results and its projections, plans, and strategies. The Company shall solicit, review, and incorporate the input from the LAC into its projections, plans and strategies. The LAC shall have the authority to request a special meeting at any time to discuss issues of mutual concern.

AOG-N-IT Replies...More Talk...No Action....Quarterly meetings for day to day problems that require thought and immediate resolve. Talk about a Pig and a Poke!!!

----------------
[/blockquote]

"Labor Advisory Committee" -- "LAC"??? I must be getting delirious here. Is this a put-on? This is too funny!

Yes, we are certainly "LAC-ing" here in about every area but acronyms.

Ill say again! Dave step up to the plate give more ! Cut you pension and number of shares youll recieve if things turn around Sign a contract saying youre here no matter what at this rate and this amount of shares. Show us your humble and make it hurt for yourself! Take a couple of hundred million and make up the short fall! We know you have it show us you mean buisness!!!!!!! Surprise us all and shut the nay sayers up by doing this! You want respect this is one sure fire way of doing it !!!!!!!

I know I am beginning to sound like a broken record, but I think it is totally unfair to turn to the employees again for more givebacks. You folks are the best in the industry, and deserve to be recognized as such. Recent events have demoralized and upset even the best of you and it is now hard to hide that feeling out in the field. My most recent experiences with my friends on the line, while still fine, do show a change over the past week. Although I count for little, it is upsetting to me and I am sure many more of your CP customers, to see this change. I know there is not much I can do except continuing to fly (which I am), but I want you all to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

That said, why does management continue to ignore the real issue--FARES? I am confident that a basic rationalization of fares would go further to rectify the revenue problem than further schedule cuts and employee furloughs. I don't think it is necessary to match Southworst in every market--$99 coast to coast is ridiculous when it costs me $792 to go from ISP to PHL and back. If you had a rationalized fare system you would only have about 6 fares in a market, the lowest could be more than the $99, but the highest would be about $1000 less than the current Y fare. I think you'd find that the AVERAGE would increase, therefore revenue would show a general increase.

Regarding the schedule cuts, I am facing some schedule cuts in January which will make it more difficult for me to get where I need to be. I am faced with either shifting most of my flying to LGA or finding another airline--neither choice is really acceptable, but I have to be where I have to be......schedule and employee cuts are already having a detremental effect on revenue--literally handing customers over to the competition.
Dave--wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!!!!

Finally, closing RES between midnight and 5AM is a boneheaded idea at best-you'll probably lose more customers than the cost of keeping open. The person who thought of this should join Ben Baldanza as the manager most deserving of termination.

Enough of my rant--I wish you all nothing but the best, and I sincerely hope I have the privilege of being a loyal US1 customer for a long time to come.

Hearing all kinds of nasty stuff here. Including threats of possible Ch-7 soon. Also hearing about doing away with reserve pilots and replacing them with P.T.P.s or Part Time Pilots and the regular ones to have to fly minimum of 93% of 72 hours per month to qualify for medical and other benefits.

I say again, "EJECT,EJECT,EJECT!" The ground is coming up fast and there is no honor in riding it in! Part time pilots? Part time management has been the problem for years!

Unfortunately, this has proven that superior service does not necessarily mean survival in the airline business. My experiences on USAirways over the past 15 years (as a PIT and PHL resident) have been great. Very few bad ones. Yet, management has never seemed to been able to act quickly enough to adapt the company and deal with the overall costs of running it.

Interstingly enough, however, I saw a neat article in Conde' Nast traveller comparing their readers votes for best domestic airline and best international airline.

Midwest Express and Singapore Airlines
(the picture was a small DC9 and a 747 nose to nose at Newark with the crews from each airplane facing one another)

It's interesting - MWX is a very small carrier that has grown at a snail's pace over the years ($103.9 million in revenues in Q3), but I haven't ever met someone with a bad thing to say about them, and they've stuck to a pretty simple operation. And, their stock clerks just voted NO to union representation, while their F/As ratified a new contract(AFA represented).

Latest posts