Northwest and Cancelled Flights/Pilot Issues

EastWest

Aug 1, 2007
The vast majority of the flights recently canceled by Northwest Airlines were those utilizing its DC-9 and A319/A320 jets, primarily flying domestic routes. Few, if any, international flights were canceled. Also very few flights flown by Northwest's feeder airlines--Pinnacle, Mesaba and Compass--were canceled.

A bit strange, isn't it? Why were the flights utilizing the DC-9s and A319/A320s more likely to be canceled than others? What's really going on?

Well, for one the pilots who fly the DC-9s and A319/A320s are very upset that Northwest started a new Airlink affiliate, Compass Airlines. Compass will be flying a large regional jet, the Embraer 175, which seats 76 passengers. Mesaba, too, has begun flying a large regional jet recently, the Bombardier CRJ-900. Both of these regional jets are smaller than the DC-9 and A319/A320, but being newly designed and built, are very efficient in terms of fuel use and maintenance--as opposed to the A319/A320, and particularly, the DC-9.

But more importantly, from the A319/A320 and DC-9 pilots' perspective, these larger regional jets are seen as a threat to their jobs and careers at Northwest. You see, Northwest's DC-9's fleet is to phased out over the next five years, but, as of this writing, no new jets have been ordered specifically as replacements. The pilots are worried. What jets will they pilot as the Northwest's DC-9s leave the fleet? Some will move to the A319/A320s, certainly, and others to the 757s and A330s, and even the 747s, in time. But this may take a few years, as openings will only be created as other pilots retire or leave Northwest employment, for whatever reason. Couldn't these pilots fly the newly purchased regional jets? Yes, they could. But that's where it gets sticky. Flying regional jets is considered an entry-level pilot position in the airline industry, and Northwest's DC-9 and A319/A320 pilots are a step or two beyond that. They would be losing, too, their career-track position at Northwest, and probably be paid less.

Paid less? Why? Because pilots who fly jets that seat less than 100 passengers earn less compensation than those who do otherwise. It's all spelled out in the union contracts. Unless the contracts are renegotiated, there's little the pilots can do.

Because of these recent developments, the pilots who fly the DC-9s and A319/A320s are nervous and alarmed. And, in response, in non-admitted protest, what have they been doing? Simply flying up to and no more than their current union contract stipulates, that is 90 hours of flying time per month. (The time counted against this 90 hours only begins when an aircraft is pushed back from the gate, until it once again, flight time included, docks at another gate.) Some pilots may even be flying only 80 hours per month, which was the limit per the old contract, and then calling in sick when scheduled to fulfill their 90 hours. As evidence of this, Northwest management has stated there were spates of pilot absenteeism in the last weeks of June and July.

To some extent, the pilots concerns are understandable. Northwest Airlines, for many years, has been involved in a number of divisive labor issues involving not only pilots, but its mechanics and flight attendants. Obviously, it is in the best interest of the company to take meaningful steps to improve working conditions and to address labor issues forthrightly, and rather sooner than later. Northwest management is not clear of blame for the current situation by any reasonable measure. On exiting bankruptcy, they formulated and set an overly ambitious flight schedule, one that required all the pieces to fall perfectly into place, just as diagrammed. Yet, in the real world, seldom do the nicely planned plans work as well as they look on paper. Northwest also could have handled the labor issues better, particularly in regards to openly and clearly communicating to all employees why certain decisions were made, and how it may affect employment, compensation and benefits. Management fell short in doing this. As it currently stands, many of the company's employees, including its pilots, are questioning some management practices. The recent generous management, non-union bonuses are an example of concern. To be fair, management-employee tensions exist in several U.S. airlines--United and American, in particular. Let's also keep in mind that Northwest management has had a lot on its plate the past two years, namely keeping the airline solvent. It goes without saying, too, that Northwest is competing in a challenging climate, pushed not by discount airline companies, such as Southwest and Jet Blue, but by other worldly airlines, many of which offer steeply discounted international fares. If a large legacy carrier, such as Northwest or Delta, goes belly up, as they nearly did last year, who will likely fill the void? The discounters, of course. They're still growing, albeit more slowly than in the past. Will legacy pilots earn similar compensation at a discount airline company? Of course not! That's one reason why discounters are able to offer cheap fares; on average, they pay less.

Which brings us back to the pilots' absenteeism at Northwest of recent weeks. What were they thinking? By antagonizing Northwest management, they are only putting themselves and their union in a more awkward position. They may temporarily cause disruptions in service and schedule, but it will be short lived as management's response takes hold. Beginning in August, Northwest is implementing plans to cut its mainline schedule by 4%, most of which will be flights utilizing the DC-9s and A319/A320s. They also are recalling furloughed pilots and plan to hire new pilots as demand warrants. In the meantime, every two weeks Compass and Mesaba each take delivery of a new, regional jet. By the end of the year, these affiliates will be flying more than 20 new jets. The CRJ-900 and the Embraer 175 are not the small, tiny regional jets of old. They are very comfortable by many standards, offer first-class seating and, significantly, are new, shiny aircraft, a far cry from the aging DC-9s.

The first order of Northwest after leaving bankruptcy was returning to profitability. This they have hone. However, many of its pilots were anything but helpful in achieving this goal. There will be repercussions, certainly, some soon, some later. Perhaps, for now and in the foreseeable future, the need for pilots at Northwest and other airlines will outstrip availability. Northwest's absentee pilots may believe their actions will bear little consequence, or, at any rate, be protected by the union. To some extent, this is true. There are limits in how Northwest management can respond. Ultimately, however, the pilots who are shown to have abused their contract stipulations or to have misused sick time will be weeded out. Even as pay levels have decreased slightly in recent years, the job of being a pilot is still very attractive to many. In addition, in many countries--India, for one--there are thousands and thousands of individuals who would jump at the opportunity to become a pilot. All that is needed is a little promotion by flight schools and a visa.

Instead of the silly sickout by Northwest pilots, they should have worked with management to develop measures to alleviate grievances and to inquire how they could assist in advancing the company's aims, while, at the same time, furthering their own. Job security issues should be topic number one. The company's goal is, of course, first and foremost, profit. With profit, though, comes further opportunity for profit sharing through stock ownership plans, and perhaps, increased compensation and benefits. The recent actions by some of Northwest's pilots was a foolish miscalculation. They need to rethink their actions now, in terms of what they hope to gain, and how best to achieve their objectives. The strict adherence to contract stipulations, plus the possible misuse of sick leave, my very well backfire in ways harmful to both the absentee pilots and their families as well as the pilot's union. There are better ways to bring forth change.

In case you're wondering, I'm not an employee of Northwest or any of its entities, nor never have been. Furthermore, I have never been employed by an airlines or any company involved with aviation, nor with a transportation entity of any sort, for that matter. I do not work for the government or a governmental entity. I am a private U.S. citizen, self-employed. I am a Northwest frequent flyer, but have flown with other airlines in the past.

Please note: I posted a very similar comment on FlightStats.com yesterday. I then found this forum and thought is would be appropriate to post here too.

Thanks for that very informational commentary. A frequent flyer? I have my doubts.

You do seem to blame the pilots for lets say playing games with sick time, and not working with
Northwest to better their situation. This does lead me to think you really aren't tied to the airline or
any other transportation entity. For if you truly knew the way of NW management or the CEO's,
you would know that it is fruitless to even try to "develop measures to alleviate grievances and to
inquire how they could assist in advancing the company's aims while, at the same time, furthering their own."

This company no longer want it employees (won't be surprised if the hire pilots from India) and the employees
that are left are finally facing this fact. Look how they got rid of their mechanics. I guess you could say none of the other
employee groups thought it would happen to them. Now they are seeing the light. They should have stood tall with the mechanics,
but since hind sight is 20/20 and that ship sailed, I for one will sit back and watch the pilots take this airline down. If what you say is true
that NW will "weed out" the sick time abusers, and they will be replaced with foreigners, or put on smaller aircraft at less pay,
then what do they have to loose?

I say Northwest is going down.
I'm not so certain the regionals are enough to keep them in the black.

JMO

Thanks for that very informational commentary. A frequent flyer? I have my doubts.

You do seem to blame the pilots for lets say playing games with sick time, and not working with
Northwest to better their situation. This does lead me to think you really aren't tied to the airline or
any other transportation entity. For if you truly knew the way of NW management or the CEO's,
you would know that it is fruitless to even try to "develop measures to alleviate grievances and to
inquire how they could assist in advancing the company's aims while, at the same time, furthering their own."

This company no longer want it employees (won't be surprised if the hire pilots from India) and the employees
that are left are finally facing this fact. Look how they got rid of their mechanics. I guess you could say none of the other
employee groups thought it would happen to them. Now they are seeing the light. They should have stood tall with the mechanics,
but since hind sight is 20/20 and that ship sailed, I for one will sit back and watch the pilots take this airline down. If what you say is true
that NW will "weed out" the sick time abusers, and they will be replaced with foreigners, or put on smaller aircraft at less pay,
then what do they have to loose?

I say Northwest is going down.
I'm not so certain the regionals are enough to keep them in the black.

JMO
They won't go down because the SCAB ALPA and all the SCAB pilots will get something from the company to fly more, etc etc and they will do it with there tongues hanging out PATHETIC.

They won't go down because the SCAB ALPA and all the SCAB pilots will get something from the company to fly more, etc etc and they will do it with there tongues hanging out PATHETIC.
One can always dream...
Right?

Management shill. It's always the employees fault. This must have been written by Steenland's union buster team. It's got all the traits of it . . . lies, distortions, feined concern, and threats. The phrase "pound sand" comes to mind as answer.

If Steenland and the rest of his pirates up in HQ were competent, there wouldn't be the problem to begin with. There would be adequate staffing. Doesn't matter to them, however. They just blame the employees for the debacle and collect the 10 million dollar bonus'.

How much is your bonus, EastWest?

Management shill. It's always the employees fault. This must have been written by Steenland's union buster team. It's got all the traits of it . . . lies, distortions, feined concern, and threats. The phrase "pound sand" comes to mind as answer.

"Management shill"? Hardly. For the second time, let me say that I have no connection to Northwest Airlines whatsoever. I do not work in the aviation industry, never have. Furthermore, I do not know anyone who works at Northwest, nor have ever spoken to anybody at the company, outside of a couple customer service reps. And, I might add, that in my last communication with NWA customer service, when I have trouble booking an award flight on nwa.com, the World Perks rep was a little rude; I was tempted to speak with her supervisor.

Although I am critical of the pilots' recent actions, which resulted in the flight cancellations, please do not interpret that as my being on management's side. As I said, Northwest management bears considerable responsibility for the current troubled state of the airline, particularly in regards to the festering, dysfunctional employee-management relationships. It is imperative for Northwest management to take meaningful steps to improve employee work conditions and morale. The recent contractual-modification agreement between Northwest and its pilots is a very positive step toward doing so.

What particularly irked me about the pilots and their non-declared work slowdown was that it came so soon after Northwest exited bankruptcy. Yes, the pilots and other Northwest employees took a substantial hit in the renegotiated contracts during the bankruptcy. It was a very difficult pill to swallow, no doubt. Nevertheless, they had little choice other than to agree; they knew if they didn't, their jobs and all others at Northwest were at risk of going up in smoke. Why couldn't the pilot have waited a few months and let the airline get back on its feet? After agreeing to a contract, it smacks of selfishness to protest so soon after signing on the dotted line. They harmed the airline and may have put at risk not only their jobs, but those of other Northwest employees as well.

While I know little about the specifics about Northwest's bankruptcy proceedings, one can imagine there were many sleepless nights by Northwest management as its bankers and creditors turned the screws tighter and tighter. It's easy to visualize the creditors tallying up the value of the jets and and the worth of the Detroit, Minneapolis and Narita hubs, among other assets. Surely, they had these numbers in their briefcases when meeting with management and its attorneys. The creditors knew that if Northwest didn't show it had the potential to be worth more as an operating entity than not, they always had the jets and the hubs operations, if it came to that. There may have been dicey days in which it could have gone either way; we may never know how close Northwest came to being forced into liquidation. At any rate, the creditors demanded Northwest to show potential value, and the primary way in doing so was to reduce operating costs. As a result, the labor contracts were renegotiated, very much to the detriment of a large number of Northwest employees, the pilots included.

To give perspective on the bankruptcy, let's look at the pending sale of nine Northwest Airbus A319s. Some analysts and commentators have wondered why sell relatively new Airbus planes when they have aging DC-9s in the fleet. How about Northwest owed Airbus money (Airbus was certainly a creditor and part of the bankruptcy proceedings), and they wanted to be paid. So, perhaps, a deal was struck to sell the planes. Maybe that's it went down, maybe not. I'm not privy to the inside workings of the company and can only speculate. Northwest management did say, however, that the A319 sales were related to the bankruptcy.

On leaving the bankruptcy courts behind them, Northwest management cracked open the champagne. They had to be happy, it had been a long 20 months. Yet not everyone at the company was celebrating. Many employees took substantial hits to their wallets. So when management doled out some hefty bonuses between themselves, there was widespread grumbling and discontent among those who were not included. Management showed great insensitivity in the timing of these bonuses. It was a gross misjudgment and revealed a disconnect between management and those who actually put the planes in the air, load the baggage, or who have to show concern when a customer whines about a flight being 15 minutes late.

Am I supporter of Doug Steenland and his management team. No, not particularly. But since he has been CEO for only about three years, 20 months of which were spent in bankruptcy, I'll keep an open mind. Having said that, however, it is my hope that during the forthcoming 12 to 18 months, Northwest management will prove its mettle in improving the airline, and, in particular, improving management-employee relations. The status quo is not acceptable, and if Steenland and team are not able to effect change, then, perhaps, someone else is needed at the helm.

Say hello to Steenland for us.

Steenland, like a majority of CEOs these days does not care what the little people think . . . only that they come to work, take lower compensation and no workrules, and most importantly . . shutup. "Leadership" is not something taught in the executive boardrooms these days . . . just courses on how to skirt the law, grease up the politicians, and outsource as much as possible.

The execs get their obscene bonus, perks, and under-the-table deals regardless of the outcome from their companies. Even the ones that are totally incompetent and are richly rewarded, e.g. Dave Siegel of US Airways and Don Carty (of the infamous airline-wrecker Carty Bros.). It's the new robber-baron class.

You accuse the pilots of a sickout. If you're not a company shill, how do you know that . . . by the carping and finger pointing of the management buffoons? If you were in the company you'd know that the vast majority of that is plain and simple shortage of pilots. What you expect is for the pilots to fly as much overtime as possible to compensate for management's deliberate decision to UNDERSTAFF the airline and the pilot ranks in particular. So it's the pilot's fault that they don't want to go to extraordinary lengths and fly on days off to bail Steenland out?? They're already flying very close to FAA maximum time.

If you are inside, you know the truth. Steenland busted the mechanics union and staffed the mechanic ranks with scabs. Now he's after the rest of the employees.

Say hello to Steenland for us.

While you are at it, tell Andy to pound sand.
Samurai.gif

Speaking of winners (not), Julie Golden Showers came through here yesterday...shame I didn't get to thank her for all the hard work she puts in. :down:

"Management shill"? Hardly....
Great post. It's nice to see some tempered, reasoned viewpoints on here. Naturally, if you don't think Steenland is the anti-christ, the union folks on this site will discount you as somehow part of the great conspiracy against them. Don't take it personally. They are too committed to this thinking to ever see the big picture. Obviously, mistakes have been made, but the guys and gals at the helm are not bad people, and they are in a very difficult situation trying to manage this company back to financial health.