Northwest Unions

Beer Guzzler

Advanced
May 20, 2005
Atlanta, GA
aogdesk.org
United's unions caved.

Unions talk a tough game, BUT when it comes time to put up or shut up, unions always shut-up.

Northwest, AMFA, has stood tough for several years .. Is AMFA w/Northwest going to standup to Northwest mangement? or will they cave as United did?

NW and UA have led the industry in employee ill will with their employer so NW's employees would be an obvious candidate. You cannot escape the reality that NW is crafting a package that pretty closely resembles what was presented to some of US' employees and yet it was passed.

There is no doubt that if NW's employees don't play as the company wants, NW will finish them off and NW's assets will become the property of another US airline. After 3 years of industry restructuring, NW's employees should have seen this coming and either prepared for another career or accept the drastic reductions in wages and lifestyle that will be forced upon them one way or another.

WorldTraveler said:
NW and UA have led the industry in employee ill will with their employer so NW's employees would be an obvious candidate. You cannot escape the reality that NW is crafting a package that pretty closely resembles what was presented to some of US' employees and yet it was passed.

There is no doubt that if NW's employees don't play as the company wants, NW will finish them off and NW's assets will become the property of another US airline. After 3 years of industry restructuring, NW's employees should have seen this coming and either prepared for another career or accept the drastic reductions in wages and lifestyle that will be forced upon them one way or another.
[post="278758"][/post]​
W.T.
It seems you are the one with the feelings of ill will towards NW. All of this negative dribble that you are spewing about NW sounds similarly familiar with what is happening in your own (DL) backyard. At least the employees of NW get a chance to play (ie. negotiations) unlike at DL where whenever management feels like backdooring their employees they just say the magic word BOHICA and its a done deal.

As for assets, at least we have them to sell. What does DL have thats worth selling off ? Which hub will you guys be closing next ? How much $$$$$ will you guys lose in the 2Q. It seems you have plenty to worry about over at DL, than to be worrying what will happen at NW or any other carrier for that matter. So stick to posting your lengthy boring posts on the DL board and leave the worrying to us.

WT

How are things at DL with your UNION ? OOOps, that's right. You do not have one !!! What will you do when NWA merges with you ? They do not have to hire you..And even if they did, you would be at the bottom of our list. Scabs will be senior to you. Seems that you need to dust off YOUR resume . Hurry now, the clock is ticking !

SN

Kev3188 said:
The feeling I get from the NWA AMT's is that they've got nothing left to lose, so they might as well go down swinging rather than cave.
[post="278763"][/post]​

That's the same response that was posted over on the US and UA boards. But when push came to shove, it was too scary to actually find yorself on the street, so both groups agreed to new contracts. I don't advocate "caving", but I do think the union leadership needs to look at the reality of the situation, and help their groups plan for the future.

7.5victim said:
That's the same response that was posted over on the US and UA boards. But when push came to shove, it was too scary to actually find yorself on the street, so both groups agreed to new contracts. I don't advocate "caving", but I do think the union leadership needs to look at the reality of the situation, and help their groups plan for the future.
[post="279010"][/post]​

Considering that NWA has asked slightly more than 50% of the AMTs to vote themselves out of a job, and has refused to negotiate on the issue, the choices are a bit different here.

NWA/AMT said:
Considering that NWA has asked slightly more than 50% of the AMTs to vote themselves out of a job, and has refused to negotiate on the issue, the choices are a bit different here.
[post="279039"][/post]​

Not necessarily. How many mechanics at those 2 airlines have lost their jobs as a result of the new contracts? At least NW is being honest about it. At US and UA, the compnay and unions quietly kept the harsh reality out of the public eye.

7.5victim said:
Not necessarily. How many mechanics at those 2 airlines have lost their jobs as a result of the new contracts? At least NW is being honest about it. At US and UA, the compnay and unions quietly kept the harsh reality out of the public eye.
[post="279152"][/post]​

Those are the #'s I read they are proposing. UAL lost a ton of mechanics when they OK-ed 100 percent of heavy check farmout, and 20 percent of what mtc remained.

US lost over 2/3rds of its mechanics since 9/11/01 in a series of concessionary agreements and have slightly under 2000 now. There was attrition due to retirements/quitting in dribs and drabs, but really nothing above the norm of the last 10 years or so, though it has accelerated in the last year or so, including slightly over 400 voluntarily separations in the past 3 months.

As far as "being honest about it", the enormity of the cuts would have torpedoed any agreement, though many suspected it was what they were ultimately after....So they went after it incrementally to give most the employees the impression they would remain....and then more....more ( "or I'll liquidate" )....more. "Do it to save the remaining 37,000 jobs".....33,000 jobs....28,000....24,000............

7.5victim said:
[post="279152"][/post]​

Yet NWA has ALREADY eliminated almost 50% of the mechanics jobs and is demanding a further 50% of those remaining as well as large cuts from those who manage to survive the cuts. "Being honest about it"? What NWA is doing is making their demands so far beyond what is actually necessary to address their economic state as to guarantee rejection by the membership with the goal of completely outsourcing their maintenance. They're being far from honest about it.

I started this thread only because I wanted to hear from Northwest employees (Mtc to be exact) as to what the feeling was among AMFA. Is the feeling strong enough that Mtc is prepared to walk?

It is very public that the NW management wants nothing but to cut Mtc 1/2 (again), cut pay & benefits and outsource work. I have seen the outsouricng first hand here in Atlanta. I have seen 1000's of jobs lost, stations closed, routes cancelled and aircraft retired. Was it a good, smart move? That is yet to be determined.

I watched United, wondering at what point do you draw the line in the sand and make a stand? United never made a stand. Instead they accepted a contract and you have heard nothing more about it.

I support NW Mtc 100% .. Just curious about the "actual" feeling among Mtc. All that you get through the media is smoke & mirrors.

Beer Guzzler said:
United's unions caved.

Unions talk a tough game, BUT when it comes time to put up or shut up, unions always shut-up.

Northwest, AMFA, has stood tough for several years .. Is AMFA w/Northwest going to standup to Northwest mangement? or will they cave as United did?
[post="278737"][/post]​

It would appear that AMFA @ NW is wiling to hold their ground :up: .. Afterall, they only made 1hr 45min in their meeting yesterday, walked out & asked to be released from negotations...

Clock Set to Begin? TICK-TOCK-TICK-TOCK !!

30-Day Strike Clock Set to Begin?

Saturdaynite said:
WT

How are things at DL with your UNION ? OOOps, that's right. You do not have one !!! What will you do when NWA merges with you ? They do not have to hire you..And even if they did, you would be at the bottom of our list. Scabs will be senior to you. Seems that you need to dust off YOUR resume . Hurry now, the clock is ticking !

SN
[post="278978"][/post]​

FYI,... WT doesn't work for DL.