NTSB to reopen 1967 PI collision nr AVL

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
From aviation-safety.net:

News item
13 JUN 2006 NTSB to reopen 1967 Hendersonville collision crash probe
The NTSB has agreed to reopen an investigation into a 1967 mid-air collision involving a Piedmont Airlines 727 and a Cessna 310 over Hendersonville. Local amateur historian Paul Houle filed a petition for reconsideration in March 2005 after years of investigating the history of the collision. Houle's petition makes three main arguments: 1) The original NTSB report ignored the fact that the Cessna pilot reported his heading, which should have alerted the air traffic controller that there was a problem; 2) The NTSB report made no mention of a fire in a cockpit ashtray that preoccupied the Piedmont crew in the final 35 seconds before the collision; and 3) The lead NTSB investigator of the accident was the brother of a Piedmont vice president. (Hendersonville News)

[disclaimer]

copyright © 1996-2006 Aviation Safety Network; updated 16 June

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record...70719-0&lang=en

It was a 727-100, and when I started in the late 70's, they still had 6 or so of them in use. I think that they even had the former NWA bird that was used for the "Jump" over WA state.... :eek:

Three other points of interest...the pilot of the 310 had been drinking before the flight, the 727 involved had been struck by a car a few months earlier as it was being towed across the road in INT and one of the flight attendants was actually found alive in a tree at the crash site but died enroute to the hospital.

What was there longest flight back then?

When the interim 727s were introduced in '67, PI had just been awarded routes to LGA.
The new jets were immediately put onto these new New York routes. I believe their non-stop routes from LGA included LGA-ORF and LGA-Roanoke, which were probably about the longest segments they flew at the time.

I've been thinking about this thread all afternoon and I can't figure for the life of me why anyone would still be trying to change the probable cause of this accident...unless it led to a money tree. The mention of the possible distraction of the PI crew and the tie between PI and the NTSB rep suggest that this guy somehow wants Piedmont Airlines at least partly blamed for the accident...which leads us to the money tree. Wonder if he or someone he is associated with could use some curveball litigation to pry open the bank account at U.

We'll see.

A320 Driver B)

I believe that those were ex-oldPSA planes.

Many of the -200s were. The -100s came from different places. N838N was a Northwest airplane I think. It was the one that D.B. Cooper bailed out of. N833N came from Lufthansa...I'm not sure where the other 3 came from. We had some ANA -200 airplanes that were in great shape and some old Delta birds they were ashamed to fly anymore :D .

Best days of my career were flying those birds...I miss them :( . I even shared the cockpit with Boeing Boy a time or two.

A320 Driver B)

We had some ANA -200 airplanes that were in great shape and some old Delta birds they were ashamed to fly anymore :D .
A320 Driver B)

Any ex-DL 727-100 would have originally been a Northeast "Yellowbird". Delta, amazingly, had no 727s at all prior to the 1972 DL/NE merger. Northeast had both -100s and -200s. In fact, they had operated the first revenue 727-200 service in late 1967 (IIRC).
Delta got rid of NE's -100s fairly quickly in the '70s, but kept their -200s and ordered a boatload more from Boeing.

the 727 delta that crashed at DFW in 1988 was it an ex PI or an ex NE yellowbird?
No, DL never bought any 727's from PI, and all of the former NE 200's were sold to PI in the early 80's.
The former NE 200's that were sold to PI were from
N1639 to N1649 if I recall, and I think that 1639 was the first -200 built.
DL also sold some 200's to PE, but they were ones that DL took delivery of new...

I've been thinking about this thread all afternoon and I can't figure for the life of me why anyone would still be trying to change the probable cause of this accident...unless it led to a money tree. The mention of the possible distraction of the PI crew and the tie between PI and the NTSB rep suggest that this guy somehow wants Piedmont Airlines at least partly blamed for the accident...which leads us to the money tree. Wonder if he or someone he is associated with could use some curveball litigation to pry open the bank account at U.

We'll see.

A320 Driver B)

Perhaps is truth _is_ important! Even more than money.

Get a life and quit assuming everyone is as greedy as you.