Nw To The Big Island

Bigsky

Advanced
Oct 29, 2002
Press Release Source: Northwest Airlines

Northwest Airlines Announces Service to Kona, Hawaii
Monday May 17, 10:00 am ET
Daily Flights Between Seattle and the Big Island to Begin July 15

MINNEAPOLIS, May 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Northwest Airlines (Nasdaq: NWAC - News) today announced it will begin daily service between Seattle and Kona, Hawaii, beginning July 15.
Northwest's current service between Seattle/Tacoma and Kahului, Maui, will be extended to Kona, enabling passengers to reach the Big Island with just one stop. The Kona-Seattle return flight will operate nonstop.

"We are excited to add Kona as a new Northwest Airlines destination in the Hawaiian Islands," said Tom Bach, vice president of market planning and Airlink. "Kona is conveniently located near the major resorts on the Big Island, so this new service provides our customers with additional vacation options to Hawaii. We are pleased to be able to offer this daily flight in time for the peak summer travel season, and customers can take advantage of great Northwest Airlines WorldVacations packages."

The flights will be operated with Boeing 757-300 aircraft seating 224 passengers, including 24 in first class.

Customers in Hawaii also can earn Northwest WorldPerks miles on inter-island and South Pacific flights on Northwest's alliance partner, Hawaiian Airlines.

Kona is the third destination Northwest will serve in Hawaii, after Honolulu (Oahu) and Kahului. Northwest currently serves Honolulu from its hubs at Minneapolis/St. Paul and Detroit as well as Seattle. Service between Honolulu and Los Angeles resumes July 1. In addition, Northwest offers two daily flights between Honolulu and Northwest's hub at Tokyo-Narita and one daily flight from Honolulu to Osaka, Japan. Kahului is served daily from Seattle.

The Kona service is now open for sale through www.nwa.com , Northwest Airlines Reservations at 1-800-225-2525 or through travel agencies.

Seattle-Kona Service (Effective July 15)

Flight number: Departs: Arrives: Aircraft:

NW 927* 3:30 p.m. 8:18 p.m. 757-300
*1-stop service

Kona-Seattle Service (Effective July 15)

Flight number: Departs: Arrives: Aircraft:

NW 926** 9:20 p.m. 5:58 a.m. 757-300
**Nonstop service

Hawaii is one of the hundreds of value-priced vacation package destinations offered by Northwest Airlines WorldVacations. Northwest Airlines WorldVacations can be reached online at www.nwaworldvacations.com , by calling 1-800-800-1504, or by visiting a professional travel agent.

Northwest Airlines is the world's fifth largest airline with hubs at Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis, Tokyo and Amsterdam, and approximately 1,500 daily departures. Northwest and its travel partners serve nearly 750 cities in almost 120 countries on six continents. In 2003, consumers from throughout the world recognized Northwest's efforts to make travel easier. Northwest's WorldPerks program was named the most popular North American frequent flyer program by readers of TIME Asia in the 2003 TIME Readers' Travel Choice Awards. A 2003 J.D. Power and Associates study of airports ranked Minneapolis/St. Paul and Detroit, home to Northwest's two largest hubs, in second and fourth place among large domestic airports in overall customer satisfaction.

I'm just amazed that NWA is adding some flying that isn't being flown by an RJ! I bet if they could figure out a way for the RJ could make the leg, that's who would be flying it.

NWA'ers should take advantage of this, Kona is a great place to take a vacation.

Kona "rocks". Played in a tennis tournament there once. Nothing but sunshine followed by more sunshine and lots of lava fields. Being that NW has such a large presence in the Pacific, I wonder what took them so long to finally start going back to the Big Island. I know they went to Hilo in the 60's and 70's but that seems like eons ago. Good to see the Red Tail hitting a few spots in the islands. How about starting Lihue?

cheers

bigsky

LIH has mighty short runways (6,500 ft). I doubt they can make it to the mainland from there. Or did you mean via HNL?

mweiss said:
LIH has mighty short runways (6,500 ft). I doubt they can make it to the mainland from there. Or did you mean via HNL?
UA does LIH-SFO and LAX on 757s.