Oh YEAH ! This will DEFINETLY get The GOP some extra VOTES.

777 fixer said:
Despite what talk radio may tell you you cannot buy alcohol and cigarettes on SNAP.  As for supposed fraud despite all hyperventilating coming from certain groups the actual numbers are rather low.
You are 100% correct you can't buy alcohol or cigarettes on SNAP. But you can buy SNAP eligible items, and barter them or sell them to get cash to buy alcohol and cigarettes. That's one of the criticisms, and it's impossible to stop.

I've lost count of the times I've stood in line behind someone at a Circle K, watched them by items on SNAP, and then asked the cashier to do a second transaction in which they peel off cash to pay for cigarettes, beer, or a lottery ticket.

There's nothing that will prevent that from happening, either.

eolesen said:
You are 100% correct you can't buy alcohol or cigarettes on SNAP. But you can buy SNAP eligible items, and barter them or sell them to get cash to buy alcohol and cigarettes. That's one of the criticisms, and it's impossible to stop.

I've lost count of the times I've stood in line behind someone at a Circle K, watched them by items on SNAP, and then asked the cashier to do a second transaction in which they peel off cash to pay for cigarettes, beer, or a lottery ticket.

Is that the argument now?  People might "barter" to get booze and cigarettes therefore we should cut the program?

Nope, not trying to make an argument at all, aside from pointing out the fact that there's a grey market, and no check or balance can stop people from engaging in that type of behavior.

Some might try to say selling stuff bought on SNAP is no different than people depleting their FSA's with items they don't need and sell those on Craigslist, except for the fact that money from a FSA was yours to begin with...

Only problem I have with SNAP cards are the people who use them to buy steaks, alcohol and cigarettes, then climb into their Escalade!
If you don't have a reason to hate the poor you will make one up.

Despite what talk radio may tell you you cannot buy alcohol and cigarettes on SNAP.  As for supposed fraud despite all hyperventilating coming from certain groups the actual numbers are rather low.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/04/food-stamp-program_n_5766114.html
Well...duh! You know, many argue that Wikipedia is not a good source of information. I say if it is a political trash hole, it, too, should be BS. In my side of the world, that is the EASIEST place to get WELFARE, you can easily SELL your SNAPs for cash to pay for drugs and booze and anything not covered.

eolesen said:

Thank you for clearing that up for 777.