Oil Hits $50

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Oil prices reached a record $50 a barrel Monday as Nigeria emerged as the latest focus for worries about supply in an already tight worldwide energy market. Investment bank Morgan Stanley says light crude could even top $60 a barrel.

Full Article

KCFlyer said:
I'm glad I got my order in on my Toyota Prius.
[post="185366"][/post]​

I got mine, a 2005, two weeks ago. I LOVE IT.

Prius-Color_Salsa-Red-Pearl.gif

www.priuschat.com

The world needs the hybrid like it needs air. Welcome to the Larry David crew, guys. As he says, "Us Prius owners, we're a special breed."

Hey.....why can't Mexico help us out with some cheap crude????? Doesn't half their population live up here anyway? :huh:

The other day, I was listening to talk radio in my car. Since Jim Rome went to break, I channel surfed and came upon Rush LImbaugh. A caller had said that since the US only had 3% of the worlds oil, it was time to focus on alternative energy sources. Rush thanked him, then expounded on the "fact" that those reports only cited "areas available for drilling". And then proceeded on an "Oliver Wendell Douglas" speech about how America is a growing country that requires oil to run the factories and create jobs. And then went on to say that there is oil in Alaska...we can't drill. There is oil off gulf coast of Florida...we can't drill. And that we SHOULD be able to drill there so that America can grow. However, he failed to mention anything about why it is necessary for one person to occupy a Hummer or Expedition or Suburban to drive on the paved roads to work and get 12 mpg or less. He also failed to mention why the automakers, who market these beasts as "luxury vehicles" (but not trucks) adamantly opposes including them in the CAFE standards (since they're trucks). I guess he doesn't feel that American ingenuity is clever enough to figure out a way to produce these monster vehicles with a bit more energy efficient means of propulsion. He failed to mention anything about the environmental costs associated with drilling. I'd invite him to visit the emerald coast of Florida, then proceed to Padre Island Texas and see if he notices any differences in the "quality" of the beach.

KCFlyer said:
Rush thanked him, then expounded on the "fact" that those reports only cited "areas available for drilling". And then proceeded on an "Oliver Wendell Douglas" speech about how America is a growing country...There is oil off gulf coast of Florida...we can't drill. And that we SHOULD be able to drill there so that America can grow.
[post="188525"][/post]​
I'm surprised that Rush mentioned the Florida ban since it was baby brother Jeb who went to bat for all those tree-hugging, tea-sipping Republican retirees who wanted drilling banned in THEIR portion of the Gulf of Mexico because of "environmental concerns." The same people thought drilling off the California coast or the Texas Gulf Coast would make much more sense and be environmentally safe.

jimntx said:
banned in THEIR portion of the Gulf of Mexico because of "environmental concerns." The same people thought drilling off the California coast or the Texas Gulf Coast would make much more sense and be environmentally safe.
[post="188531"][/post]​

Jim, it's the same mentality and mind set that John Denver maintained on his claim to Colorado.

I live here now so let's close the door to others...Wasn't JD from FWO?

I still like to listen to Rocky Mountain High though.

Oh, the NIMBY mentality is alive and well in the good old USofA. I was still living in Houston at the time the off-shore Florida ban was implemented. Someone who lives in Florida had the nerve to say to me, "Well, after all Texas' beaches are already ruined from offshore drilling; so, it won't make any difference if the drilling continues there."

TWAnr said:
I got mine, a 2005, two weeks ago. I LOVE IT.

Prius-Color_Salsa-Red-Pearl.gif

www.priuschat.com
[post="185406"][/post]​

I GOT MINE!!! Same color as the picture. It's a fantastic car - first tank of gas took me 460 miles ...and it only took 10 gallons of gas!

Latest posts

Back