Oldest Commercial 757 To Be Scrapped-Help Save It!

And as another side note, 916UW isn't the oldest 757 in "commercial airline" service. Both DHL and European Air Transport (which operates flights for DHL) are flying older 757's. US does operate the oldest 757's in commercial passenger airline service.

Jim

And as another side note, 916UW isn't the oldest 757 in "commercial airline" service. Both DHL and European Air Transport (which operates flights for DHL) are flying older 757's. US does operate the oldest 757's in commercial passenger airline service.

How can this be if 916UW is Ln3? Ln1 is operated by Boeing and Ln2 is operated by Starflite International Corporation.

According to AirFleets.net, 916UW is serial number 22192 and was delivered to EA on 9/28/1983. European Air Transport operates serial number 22171 which was delivered to BA on 3/28/1983.

Jim

ps - just noticed that AirFleets.net does show that 916UW first flew on 4/29/1982 while EAT's oldest 757 first flew on 10/25/1982. Don't know why the serial numbers are out of order with the first flight dates. Jim

As a side note, 618 was originally Eastern but USAir got it from America West during their bankruptcy thus the higher, out of sequence tail number. So it has been through both airlines.
618 never flew for HP, it was EA, then owned by Boeing and then US Air. The reason for the higher tail # is because US' new purchases had the N Numbers all ready reserved so there for the next sequence was 618.

618 history

I think the 757 was a game changer. It's performance is one that set the bar of narrowbodied aircraft that still hasnt been matched almost 30 years later..

You all might enjoy these articles about the 757.

This is a rather long read, but I found it very interesting. It's about the deal with Frank Borman and Boeing which led to Eastern's eventual order.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/news/business/757/

This one is from 2004 and it also goes into some of the history and little known facts about what it might have been.

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/196655_boeing25.html

Boeing should bring back the 757 and can the 737-900's. Everytime I fly in a 757 when we are taking off, I think of Jimi Hendrix's song "Purple Haze". "Excuse Me while I Kiss the Sky". Those birds were meant to fly.

Great infor DHG, I knew the 757 was was going to be a T-Tail and that Boeing changed the design, I bet most people didnt know that.

Yep,

The reason it went to PHX is Dynair did the mods and pre-ops before US took delivery.

Anyone know which 757 was ferried to Greenwood, MS today from MCN as AWE9244? I believe there are a few of them (including 916) in MCN awaiting ferry.

All,

Per another conversation with the museum today, everything appears to be a no-go. Unfortunately, there is not enough money to go around at this point. I am very disappointed, but thank you to those who contributed to this thread or took the time to write to the museum. I have enjoyed reading your responses, and I appreciate your interest.

Thanks,

757guy

Anyone know which 757 was ferried to Greenwood, MS today from MCN as AWE9244? I believe there are a few of them (including 916) in MCN awaiting ferry.

Ron K. and I (East 757/767 Checkpilots) Flew 918 to GWO on the 3rd. It was a great machine with no MELS or write ups.
There were 7 (counting 918) in the "chopshop". She flew great and we were honored to fly her the last time.
RIP old girl.
V
IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

Speaking of the 757, are there any left that have the 8 seat first class config? At one point I think there was the 8F config, 12F TA/ETOPS and 14F HP config. Has the fleet been reduced to there being just a handful of East ETOPS 12F variants and then the West 14F config (also used for Hawaii)?

I'm not sure US has parked all the 8FC planes yet but is getting closer. The fleet plan as of about 1-1/2 years ago was to have 20 ETOPS 757's with either 12 or 14 FC seats. With the two that left recently the count should be down to 26 with 2 more leaving this quarter and and 1 more in the 3rd quarter, leaving 23.

Since US is near the minimum fleet count, there has to be nearly a 1 for 1 swap of new aircraft being delivered as old aircraft leave the fleet, which is slowing down the retirement of old airplanes.

Jim

Ron K. and I (East 757/767 Checkpilots) Flew 918 to GWO on the 3rd. It was a great machine with no MELS or write ups.
There were 7 (counting 918) in the "chopshop". She flew great and we were honored to fly her the last time.
RIP old girl.
V

Thanks so much for the photos and information. That must be a strange feeling flying an aircraft on its last flight before scrapping. Question though: How do the pilots who ferry an aircraft into GWO get back? Rental car?