Once Soaring Into A Recovery

The Aviation Week & Space Technology is even more reason that US Airways may elect to dump United and the Star Alliance and proceed with the possible deal with Northwest.

In regard to antitrust issues, the company could use the failing carrier guidelines as an argument to support such a move.

If US Airways and Northwest execute a deal, this would further hurt United's loan guarantee application and could be lethal to the Chicago-based airline.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
The news was not made public, similar to the new US Airways agreement, so the board could help the airline.
Just curious...if it wasn't public news, how do you know it happened?

It appears that at one point it was AA. Then came along UAL. Now it appears it is NW. Could it be that the supposed spouses are not interested?

ual06,

" It appears that at one point it was AA. Then came along UAL. Now it appears it is NW. Could it be that the supposed spouses are not interested?"

Basically, you're right. Hoping (praying?) for a merger is the best (only?) hope those with much time left have. Of course, planning on a DOH seniority integration :shock: makes it all the more appealing. Almost makes it worth giving up anything (or anybody) to reach that "holy grail". :angry:

Jim

ual06,

" It appears that at one point it was AA. Then came along UAL. Now it appears it is NW. Could it be that the supposed spouses are not interested?"

Basically, you're right. Hoping (praying?) for a merger is the best (only?) hope those with much time left have. Of course, planning on a DOH seniority integration :shock: makes it all the more appealing. Almost makes it worth giving up anything (or anybody) to reach that "holy grail". :angry:

Jim

Yes, BoeingBoy, I do hear you. Each day I count my blessings. At one point it did look bleak. (Six years, 7 months and 8 days on furlough. During which time I got married, bought a house and had three sons.) Today there are questions about my pension. But, the big thing I am thankful of is that I had four sons that wanted to follow Dad's steps. I am very thankful I was able to talk each into going to another career field.

BoeingBoy said:
ual06,

Jim
Kind of sad to want someting that bad. Savy

Clue, I think you missed the point, which is not surprising.

In regard to ATSB, the leeway has been for current loan guarantee participants, not applicants.

If Fitch Rating determines that United does not meet the 7% profit margin requirement in 7 years, then any approval would violate OMB loan guarantee guidelines. That ‘s why the board rejected United’s initial application.

Mweiss, in regard to my knowledge of the America West covenant violation, I learned of the default through ALPA, along with other Association members. Moreover, it’s my understanding the Phoenix-based Company is back in compliance with the loan guarantee covenants.

Separately, as I said before, with deteriorating industry fundamentals it will be more difficult and maybe impossible for United to obtain the loan guarantee. If that occurs, United may have no option but to fragment and/or obtain an equity investor, to pay back the DIP financing and emerge from Chapter 11.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Separately, as I said before, with deteriorating industry fundamentals it will be more difficult and maybe impossible for United to obtain the loan guarantee.
Hold your horses, there, Sparky! Just a few hours ago (at 7:42 PM) you posted the following quote regarding US Airways on the "How Much Time Do We Have Left?" thread:

Thus, improving fundamentals due to falling fuel prices, summer time traffic, and pricing power will be key factors.
So you're saying that industry "fundamentals" change depending upon which airline you happen to be discussing? IMHO, that seems rather schizophrenic. Wouldn't you agree?

USA320Pilot said:
Mweiss, in regard to my knowledge of the America West covenant violation, I learned of the default through ALPA, along with other Association members. Moreover, it’s my understanding the Phoenix-based Company is back in compliance with the loan guarantee covenants.
In other words, it's a rumor?

OBTW, unless they moved recently, they're "the Tempe-based Company." Last I saw, they were smack in the middle of downtown Tempe on Mill Ave.

It's not a rumor, the report came from ALPA E&FA who was involved in the discussions.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Back