Ord-hnl Nonstop Returns In June

Cosmo

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
United will resume daily nonstop ORD-HNL service with a 2-class B777 on June 3, 2004. United will then have daily nonstops to HNL from 4 of its 5 hubs (all but IAD). You can read the press release that was just issued this afternoon here.

United Reinstates Non-Stop Service Between Chicago and Honolulu
February 23, 2004

With Addition, United to Offer Customers Nonstop Service to Hawaii From Four U.S. Hubs

CHICAGO, February 23, 2004 - United Airlines (OTCBB: UALAQ.OB) today announced that it is reinstating its daily nonstop service between Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and Honolulu (HNL), effective June 3, 2004. Flights will be available for booking on February 24, 2004.

"United is thrilled to once again offer our customers nonstop service from Chicago, our hometown and largest hub, to one of the nation’s top vacation destinations," said John Tague, executive vice president - Customer, United Airlines. "This flight will answer the call from our customers in the Chicagoland area for daily, nonstop access to the beaches and sunshine of Hawaii. It will also give our customers in the eastern U.S. another option for convenient, one-stop service to the Islands."

United’s announcement of this new service follows an announcement earlier this month that it would begin flying a second daily nonstop flight between Tokyo, Japan, and Honolulu in June 2004.

United will fly daily between Chicago and Honolulu with a Boeing 777 aircraft configured with 36 seats in first class and 312 seats in economy class. UA001 will leave ORD at 1015 and arrive at HNL at 1345. The return leg, UA002, will depart HNL at 1625 and arrive at ORD at 0515.

"This was a popular flight among many Hawaii residents and visitors, so we’re very pleased travelers will once again have this option," said Governor Linda Lingle of Hawaii. "The resumption of nonstop service between Honolulu and Chicago is good news for visitors from the Midwest and those connecting from the East Coast. As Hawaii’s visitor market continues to strengthen, the addition of flights such as this will help meet demand."

The new Chicago service will complement United’s existing service to Hawaii from its other hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver. With 24 daily, nonstop flights from three hub cities in the U.S. to four Hawaiian Islands - Oahu, Maui, Hawaii and Kauai - United offers the most flights between the mainland U.S. and Hawaii. United also offers daily, nonstop service between Honolulu and both Tokyo and Osaka.

United has been serving Hawaii since 1947.

United, United Express and Ted operate more than 3,400 flights a day on a route network that spans the globe. News releases and other information about United can be found at the company's web site at www.united.com.

Anyone know how they resolved crew rest issues that kept this flight off the schedule? I believe UA has not flown this route since the the DC-10 retired?

Yahoooooooo!!!! (Fly is based in ORD) Crew rest won't be an issue....we fly many flights with much longer flight times. I'll tell you what will be an issue.....who gets stuck on first break :lol:

Yeah, where are the rest areas going to be? The first class cabin on the 777XA doesn't have nice enough rest accomodation for this length of flight does it?

Any pilots out there? I think the FA contract isn't very specific with rest accomodation so they could shove us in the overhead bins if they need to. The pilots contract has slightly higher standards though.

FA4UA

The pilots will get a First class seat with a curtain (or that closet thingy) and the flight attendants will get some economy plus seats (as usual)...but who cares.....it's only a 9 hour flight...no biggie. Just glad to get it back (ok, I know I can't hold it in June...but maybe in July! i hope, i hope, i hope) Mahalo nui loa