ORD-PEK Held Up over Unfavorable Slots-TITLE CHANGED BY MOD

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Instead of launching today, ORD-PEK is delayed until at least May 4:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mzc4Mzg5fENoaWxkSUQ9Mzc3NTY2fFR5cGU9MQ==&t=1

Isn't May 4 the originally delayed launch date? IIRC, sometime in the last few months AA moved it up from May 4 to April 26. Perhaps nobody told the Chinese of the plan to launch a week earlier than planned.

The Wall Street Journal reports that AA received middle-of-the-night landing and takeoff slots:

The airline, the second-largest U.S. carrier by traffic, had scheduled the new flight to depart Chicago O'Hare International Airport at 11:25 a.m. Monday and arrive at Beijing Capital International Airport at 1:55 p.m. Tuesday.

Instead, Chinese aviation authorities gave American a 2:20 a.m. landing slot and a 4:20 a.m. departure slot in the Chinese capital, said Mary Frances Fagan, the American spokeswoman.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703465204575208091184854102.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

Still sounds like a management screw-up to not have viable slots in hand. Wonder how much cash the good slots cost?

Welcome to dealing with China.... I'm sure our spineless "hug everyone" Administration wouldn't dare retaliate by giving a Chinese carrier middle of the night slots.

NEW YORK (AP) -- American Airlines is delaying the launch of flights between Chicago's O'Hare International Airport and Beijing until it gets approval for certain takeoff and landing times from Chinese authorities.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/American-Airlines-delays-apf-2784906365.html?x=0&.v=4

Better increase those PUPS so this doesn't happen again.
More like hand over any money designated for potential employee raises to the proper official(s) in Beijing to get the good slots :lol: and if there is any left over place it into the PUP pool ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I have a feeling that once the correct payment(s) reaches the proper official(s), AA should get better slots. Welcome to the reality of dealing with the chicoms.

Welcome to dealing with China.... I'm sure our spineless "hug everyone" Administration wouldn't dare retaliate by giving a Chinese carrier middle of the night slots.

You're probably right; here is an error-filled article that contains a great quote from a spokesman for the DOT:

"We are very disappointed that China did not grant commercially-viable slots to American Airlines," said Bill Mosley, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Transportation. "We sincerely hope that China will work with American Airlines to find a commercially feasible solution."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/american-wrestles-with-china-for-viable-slots-2010-04-26?siteid=yhoof

Nothing about going to bat for AA, but instead, AA is on its own.

More like hand over any money designated for potential employee raises to the proper official(s) in Beijing to get the good slots :lol: and if there is any left over place it into the PUP pool ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I have a feeling that once the correct payment(s) reaches the proper official(s), AA should get better slots. Welcome to the reality of dealing with the chicoms.

And this is the country that every American firm simply MUST do business with.

Reactions: 1 person
And this is the country that every American firm simply MUST do business with.
Unfortunately that will be the case until American firms are screwed over so much that it will not be worth it to do business there anymore. Furthermore, I do not understand why the USA, a superpower, just bends over and takes all the crap from the chicoms - he11, they (the chicom regime) needs the USA more than USA needs them!

Reactions: 1 person

China Inc, owns the United States.

We ( Americans and Presidents Nixon foward ) are to blame.

I'm surprised they let us land there at all.

Unfortunately that will be the case until American firms are screwed over so much that it will not be worth it to do business there anymore. Furthermore, I do not understand why the USA, a superpower, just bends over and takes all the crap from the chicoms - he11, they (the chicom regime) needs the USA more than USA needs them!

This is mainly about cheap labor and cheap products. It is so cheap that US firms will bend over backwards and sideways to do business there.

As for PEK slots and any other major Chinese city, it is to their advantage to let as many foreign carriers land there.
A small concession but it brings the corporate deal makers to and fro.

This reminds me of Richard Branson's story of how much he had to fight to get his first flight, LHR-JFK, off the ground in the mid-80's. He was given similar take off/landing slots at LHR and fought tooth and nail against them. Similar to the Chinese regime, Branson had to fight the BA-UK government relationship to get his new airline (Virgin) up and running with a single flight on a used 747-100(or maybe it was a -200).

It's sorta like Branson's experience, but it's sorta different - AA has been flying to Shanghai (PVG) for over four years now, so dealing with Chinese aviation authorities shouldn't be a new thing for AA.

Both a corrupt and manipulative Chicom government and a stupid AA management are to blame for this. The Chinese for being amoral liars and cheats and AA management being to stupid to realize the kind of people that they are dealing with. The Chinese are NOT our friends and have no way changed their spots morally in the last 50 years.