Other Airline Employment

sdavis29

Advanced
Nov 13, 2002
www.usaviation.com
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/2/2003 4:44:16 PM Light Years wrote:
[P]Does anyone have clear info regarding employment with other airlines? If an airline does not require a letter of resignation from U, is it ok to accept a job somewhere else?[BR]For example, Allegheny is hiring FAs, could a furloughed mainline FA accept employment and keep ML/MDA callback rights? [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]i know an agent who was furloughed when they contracted out express in the station he worked in. he accepted a job with express, which he ended up quitting...however 18 months later he was recalled to mainline...he had found other employment by then and refused recall, but it was still offered...we were not union at the time...so we did not have any union rules to deal with..might want to check with afa to see where you stand with them on that issue.[BR][BR][/P]

Just as a fly on the wall...but would another airline really want to hire someone and train them, knowing that they may well "jump ship" should they be recalled? It seems to me that most regionals etc. would find a non-airline employee more attractive since there isn't the chance of them accepting any recall.

I fyou were furloughed vol or unvol you can take another job. If there are recalls u have the choice at that time whether to return If you decline you will be considered resigned from the company!Whether another airline requires you to have a letter would be up to the individual airline! Hope this helps! I know this because im doing the same thing and inquired about it.

Light Years,[BR]If you have a contract, reference Section 19-2 (G) for information on recall rights. In a nutshell...if you are recalled you are able to pass until all flight attendants who are junior to you have been recalled. At that point you must accept or your position is terminated. Section 19-2 (J) addresses interim employment. You are free to accept employment which requires a 3 year contract. However, it does not include information pertaining to other airlines. I seem to remember the voluntary furlough packages specifically stating you could not work for another airline. Before I accepted employment as a flight attendant with another carrier I would double check with Inflight. Unless you are not planning on returning.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/2/2003 6:18:14 PM KCFlyer wrote:

Just as a fly on the wall...but would another airline really want to hire someone and train them, knowing that they may well "jump ship" should they be recalled? It seems to me that most regionals etc. would find a non-airline employee more attractive since there isn't the chance of them accepting any recall.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Just another insect here :) I'd think it depends on a lot of factors. 1) The training might not be that much of an investment (especially with a previosly experienced FA) 2) hiring seasoned people into the mix might be part of the strategy 3) Perhaps the OA views people in this situation as "temps" that can quickly help them through a short-term need?

Lightyears,

If you accept other employment, it is none of the U's business. There is nothing that prohibits you from accepting other airline employment and returning to mainline upon recall, unless, of course, the other airline requires you to resign from U as a precondition of employment with that airline. Unless and until you submit formal resignation to U, your recall rights must be upheld by the airline.

I would suggest, however, that you discuss this with your local AFA president or vice president, but I don't think I would discuss it with anyone in inflight.

Something else to remember. Per our contract, furloughed flight attendants can accept "interim employment" and give a commitment of up to three years with that employer and still maintain their mainline recall rights during that time. You must notify the company, and I would advise also notifying the union and puting everything in writing. But if another airline wants you to resign, maybe you could negotiate with them to accept a three-year commitment on the pretext that you would like to retain your flight privileges on U. Just food for thought.

DCAflyer